Home

Coyote snaring

Posted By: FDChief

Coyote snaring - 09/30/21 08:01 PM

What’s your favorite lock for snaring coyote?
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Coyote snaring - 09/30/21 09:09 PM

Micro when used with a 50lb compression spring.

Re: Coyote snaring - 09/30/21 09:33 PM

I should also add tying the snare off high and solid.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Coyote snaring - 09/30/21 09:54 PM

I just sure locks on all my snares. Agree with bctom high and solid.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/01/21 02:38 AM

Mini cam locks for me with mini conibear type kill springs.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Newt

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/01/21 11:23 AM

Newt's Master Lock
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/01/21 11:59 AM

We can only use one piece here. Slim lock worked well for me, but i have used the big washer lock also with good success
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/01/21 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
We can only use one piece here. Slim lock worked well for me, but i have used the big washer lock also with good success

Maybe you could fill me in when they say one piece does that include the use of a kill spring or would that be legal still

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/01/21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Artrapper16

Maybe you could fill me in when they say one piece does that include the use of a kill spring or would that be legal still

Kill spings are ok, but i use a break away. Two piece is like the amberg or cam loc

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/01/21 03:50 PM

If I had to use a one piece lock it'd be the BMI mini lock if you can still get them anywhere. I prefer locks that don't require a bur of steel on the hole to keep them locked down. It probably stems from having a required deer stop on the snares that doesn't always allow the snare to quickly dispatch whatever you catch thus it loosens if the bur wears off when they fight the snare or if you reuse a lock. I know cable size and type come into play as well on the lock's performance. I suspect the folks here that choose, (rather than are mandated) one piece locks use smaller cable and no deer stops.

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/01/21 03:51 PM

Kill springs are ok, but i use a break away. Two piece is like the amberg or cam loc

I use a BAD and killsprings, they kill coyotes and release leg caught deer.

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/01/21 07:48 PM

^^^
I use the bmi mini for mink. I should try em on yotes
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/01/21 10:47 PM

^^^
I use the bmi mini for mink. I should try em on yotes

On 1/16th cable, coyotes don't stand a chance

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/02/21 04:22 AM

Airport, that 1/16 is it 1x19?
Posted By: Turd Furgeson

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/02/21 12:33 PM

Mini toothed cam locks with stinger style kill springs

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/02/21 05:07 PM

Yes
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/02/21 07:27 PM

Cam lock for me 5/64 1x19
Posted By: 653

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/02/21 08:22 PM

mini cams with 20# kill spring. found any heavier spring and spring isnt compressed so not really a good kill spring
Posted By: 653

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/02/21 08:22 PM

mini cams with 20# kill spring. found any heavier spring and spring isnt compressed so not really a good kill spring
Posted By: Bruiser1

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/03/21 09:40 AM

I’ll tell you what I don’t like first. Slim locks. They suck for coyotes. I have killed coyotes with them but they usually had jelly head and the set was tore up. I now use micro lock with 50 lb spring and senneker snares. They put them down fast
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/03/21 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by AirportTrapper

Yes

Here I don't know if I would use 1/16 cable. I see what are coyotes do to 5/64.. 5/64 1x19 is my min. size.

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/03/21 08:07 PM

Backroad, we dont get real bigguns down here, but i would not use the 1/16 without a lethal set up. I've used a gregorson lock on 1/16 7x7 a couple times in lethal situation and they worked great.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/04/21 06:47 PM

For years, I used the Gregerson L-4 lock with success.
It is a one shot deal in most cases.
The Cam loc ( Cam lock ) when it first came out of Edmonton was a lock I really liked and I went to, almost exclusively for a number of years.
After awhile, there were so many clones made from cheaper metal, it became hard to find the originals.
Cam locks are not what they used to be, however there is a place to still buy the original ones !
If you can use them with 'teeth' filed in them, they are far better for it.
However these 'cheaper' cams made using 'cheaper metal' make that lock now almost a one shot deal, as the groove worn into the lock, prevent it from locking up tight again a second or third time.
Now the Slim lock with it's hardened metal is a lock I do feel good about re-using.
It is low profile and locks plenty tight. I still have live coyotes where entanglement doesn't present a problem.
I still find myself using all three locks, all of which on 1 X 19 Korean cable snares.
The Slim lock will be used more often than not as a first choice.
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/04/21 11:33 PM

John Graham's Ambergs all the way. I want my coyotes dead and dead right now. Alot of people use too strong of kill spring. < 50 lbs is good. On thickly furred montana coyotes, an inferior lock results in alot of live coyotes, and live coyotes result in a lot of chewed out coyotes. I like a heavy lock, and the ambergs fit the bill. And no, I don't like the copycat version of the ambergs.

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/06/21 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher

Here I don't know if I would use 1/16 cable. I see what are coyotes do to 5/64.. 5/64 1x19 is my min. size.

A dead coyote is not doing anything to cable..

When I am catching them live , I use 3/32nd 1x19.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/06/21 05:42 PM

Dean I’m not sure if I have seen a copycat of an Amberg lock...any certain company making them?
Posted By: Turd Furgeson

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/06/21 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Dean I’m not sure if I have seen a copycat of an Amberg lock...any certain company making them?

Snareshop “wedge lock”
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/07/21 01:55 AM

I don't do much snaring, but when I do set a snare for a coyote I use the same snares I use on wolves, just with a smaller loop. 3/32 1x19 with a SMOOTH cam lock. I stress smooth, because when I tried the toothed cam locks I had a lot of problems with them freezing up.
Posted By: M.S. Pickins

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/13/21 06:03 PM

Bridger Cam Lock with teeth and a kill spring. Ten feet long and put a swivel in the middle of the snare and your good to go.
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/13/21 07:20 PM

Slim locks, they cut through the ice and hore frost, the best lock for my conditions.

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/14/21 08:59 PM

Have you tried the micro lock? The problem I have occasionally experienced with the slim lock is that the short protrusion on it catches up in the thick neck fur and does not lock up on the cable as it's designed to do. This has not happeded to me with the micro lock and it also cuts through the ice and hore frost quite well in my exoerience.
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/16/21 05:41 AM

bctomcat Yep tried a number of different lock's, Slims have not failed me yet in regards to the weather or conditions I deal with here. In my experience to low of a snare, to large of a loop, or low anchoring contribute to the lock getting binded up in the fur. No lock is perfect but this one I am very content and confident with.

Re: Coyote snaring - 10/16/21 03:52 PM

Gotcha. Stick with what provides ones self a quick consistent dispatch.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums