Home

Charred log scent post

Posted By: bowhunterks

Charred log scent post - 10/09/21 09:31 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Put this out a week ago today looks like it has been visited already.
Found a turd on the road when i set this out it is on the right side of black turd,
i have not used any urine on this set yet.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Charred log scent post - 10/10/21 01:10 AM

That thing would really stick out better if you would move it out away from that cover more toward the camera in the open area.
Love fore blackened wood. Nice location. And congrats on the visitor already.
Jim
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Charred log scent post - 10/10/21 01:13 AM

That is awesome! I want to implement these on my line, are there woods that work better/worse than others? Seems to be one of these easiest and unassuming ways to add "flavor" to a coyote's day! Keep us updated, maybe put a trail cam on it (if you have 1).
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Charred log scent post - 10/10/21 10:33 AM

When we get snow on the ground the fire blackened wood sticks out like anything. Watms up in sunlight quick too to help melt snow or ice off of it. Charlie Dobbins in his land trapping book has a section on making and using these for scent posts.
Jim
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Charred log scent post - 10/10/21 12:49 PM

I use charred oak picket stakes and Slims black blocks. All work great. I think you could catch a yote or two on just the block no scent.
Like JabNE I would move the location to more inline with the natural travel flow.

Re: Charred log scent post - 10/10/21 12:52 PM

Would like to have it out some more but there is alot of tractor traffic in that area trap would problaly get run over.

That was a peice of green mulberry i pelled the bark off then chard it i would think you could use any kind of wood.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Charred log scent post - 10/10/21 12:56 PM

Hard to see but the block is in the catch circle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Charred log scent post - 10/10/21 01:22 PM

There is a y in the two track at that spot it goes left that is were hay bails are stacked,
if you go right that goes out to crop feilds and some pasture, this spot is a normal travel route for coyotes,
there is alot going on in this area to the left past hay there is a manure pit keep going on two track takes you past big silage pile with hay bails around it
go past that theres more hay bails stacked along two track.
Posted By: Alfa Dog

Re: Charred log scent post - 10/10/21 06:13 PM

Describe Slim's black blocks please.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Charred log scent post - 10/10/21 06:39 PM

Right out of Charles Dobbins flat set book.
Take any wood get out your torch and burn It. You can also drill some holes In the top to hold your lure. Or you can just set the end of the stake In a bucket of urine and let It soak In to the wood.
If your setting with the wind the distance from the travel way Isn't a issue they will smell It. A little call lure or some gland lure placed right at the edge of the road will get them to stop and check things out.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Charred log scent post - 10/10/21 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Alfa Dog
Describe Slim's black blocks please.

The black block Yoteguts shows looks perfect, 4x4 about 10 inches long. The closer ya get to the line of travel the more interest you'll get with this type of set. If its too far they work from a distance ( droppings, pee ) 3 feet or less is best. FYI, some coyotes spook at black. But its a red fox magnet.
Posted By: HOYT archery

Re: Charred log scent post - 10/10/21 11:19 PM

If nothing else, that corner looks like a very good set location. I wouldn't put just one set there.
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Charred log scent post - 10/11/21 12:28 AM

It has worked well for me in the past!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums