Home

Trapping with bad shoulders

Posted By: K9BeavCoon

Trapping with bad shoulders - 10/19/21 12:52 PM

Dad trapped as a kid in the 70’s and now picked it up again since I got into it a couple years ago. He’s had both shoulders worked on and anchors are hard on him. We live in open farm country, loamy/clay soil. Drags seem like an alternative for him but there ain’t much around here for a drag to catch on. By the time the season rolls around frost is starting to creep in. Is there an anchor or anchor system that a guy could try to make it easier? Or any tips on using drags in open farm country?
Posted By: btomlin

Re: Trapping with bad shoulders - 10/19/21 12:55 PM

predrilling his anchor holes with a concrete bit??
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Trapping with bad shoulders - 10/19/21 01:13 PM

Wolf fangs save my shoulders and back just cut the cable when your done and walk away. Also look in the one hand setters your dad will thank you it makes setting easier even on you knees.
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Trapping with bad shoulders - 10/19/21 01:46 PM

im gonna try this predrilling this year i get ground thats super hard i normally never have an issue i dig a little deeper trap bed in the middle and drive my pogo in but i do have to swing the heck outta the hammer. might be smart to save the shoulders now.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Trapping with bad shoulders - 10/19/21 07:45 PM

Yes predrill anchor holes with a long concrete bit, works really well. Get an auger bit for making nice clean and easier dirtholes, too.
I have several older trapping friends that can't set coyote or cat traps these days by hand and they turned to snaring coyotes and cats, and running cat cages.
Kept them in the game and still getting their walking in but much easier to set and maintain.
Jim
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Trapping with bad shoulders - 10/23/21 08:47 AM

My wrists and shoulders are worn out. This makes a big improvement for me.
For super stakes or rebar staking in non-frozen ground I drill a pilot hole with ship auger bits from harbor freight.
For rebar staking in frozen ground I drill a pilot hole with extra long Bosch carbide masonry bits.
The stakes are easy to drive.
I use a Milwaukee 18 volt drill - fairly large size with a side handle, hammer drill setting, 2 speeds and reverse. When it is cold out keep the extra batteries warm.
I may go to a rotary hammer.
Posted By: Seldom

Re: Trapping with bad shoulders - 10/23/21 12:18 PM

Consider using something like this. https://youtu.be/NQGbskXKI7M
Posted By: Rusty Newhouse

Re: Trapping with bad shoulders - 10/23/21 08:36 PM

That's a good idea Seldom.
Thanks for sharing it.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Trapping with bad shoulders - 10/25/21 02:50 AM

Yes good idea Seldom.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums