Home

Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors?

Posted By: TrapperD123

Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/22/21 10:45 PM

What's everyone's method to retrieve Wolf Fang anchors?
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/22/21 10:47 PM

If possible run a auger down along you cable/chain then pull up only in decent soil it works. If rocky cut and go.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/22/21 11:34 PM

Winch on Ranger.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/23/21 12:23 AM

I've pulled them with a winch on a ATV but you need to careful have seen them tipped on their nose. Usually go back in the spring with a long spade shovel.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/23/21 12:28 AM

Tile spade. Occasional one stays if in the woods or roots.
Posted By: Cootswatter

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/23/21 12:48 AM

Auger bit if its not frozen. Cable Cutter if it is. They were originally called disposable. Good sets I leave them there, used one anchor for 4 yotes over 3 years.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/23/21 04:03 AM

Tile spade. Take a wrap with the chain around the spade and reef up on the spade. Then If It moves make a re wrap and reef up again. I pulled 4 that way today. The fifth one I had to leave In the ground and open up the quick link.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/23/21 04:06 AM

Use a railroad claw bar and a set of Dog nuts.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/23/21 12:39 PM

Winch on the side by side or cut them and leave them.
Posted By: JBR

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/23/21 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by The hammer
If possible run a auger down along you cable/chain then pull up only in decent soil it works. If rocky cut and go.

I’m probably gonna cut most of mine this year. Shoulder and back problems that retired me a few years early win out over a few dollars worth of wolf fangs left behind
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/24/21 02:15 PM

Is it worth your time and effort to dig them out really? It’s a lot quicker and easier to cut and run for me, like said above. I save nothing if I’m busted up after spending hours to get that way that I could of avoided easily. Often I find a bit of cable sticking up from years past when setting every year.

In sandy soil maybe dig a few up but in the packed soil we have it would be a all day struggle and not worth it so go with what you got.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/24/21 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Is it worth your time and effort to dig them out really? It’s a lot quicker and easier to cut and run for me, like said above. I save nothing if I’m busted up after spending hours to get that way that I could of avoided easily. Often I find a bit of cable sticking up from years past when setting every year.

In sandy soil maybe dig a few up but in the packed soil we have it would be a all day struggle and not worth it so go with what you got.

That's why I dig them out in farm ground but usually find another way to anchor in the woods or rocks.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/24/21 03:23 PM

I’ve often thought about drilling a hole in the end to add a retrieval cable. Still probably won’t work for frozen ground but could save some. Lots of work drilling all those holes though too.

I’ll punch 400-600 in, or more, in a year. Leaving that many behind gets spendy.
Posted By: Cootswatter

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/24/21 04:14 PM

400 to 600 you are my hero! You must have Popeye forearms.
Posted By: jnsff69

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/24/21 06:33 PM

If the rancher wants me to remove them like others said auger & winch. If they don't then I loosen the S Hook & leave it in the ground. I tend to pound em in to where the S Hook is bout 2" below the start of the hole under trap bed
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/24/21 08:24 PM

Finned Super Stakes have a hole drilled through the fin where a retrieval cable can be attached. Make the cable shorter that the chain. Drive so the cable loop is just below the desired surface. Dig down a bit, hook on and pull out.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/25/21 11:57 AM

cable cutters
Posted By: Sanford Otte

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/25/21 04:16 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I use a puller that I made 15 years ago and have never had to dig or winch in order to get Wolf Fang, Bullet, Pogo or any other kind of earth anchor out. Just hook the chain or cable into the chain hook and lift up and they will come out without any problem. If they freeze in the ground then I'll just wait untill spring. I use a 4' piece of 1" pipe and a 12" piece of 1" pipe welded to make a tee with a chain hook welded 12" above the T. Works for me.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/26/21 11:35 AM

I have a chipping bar that I wrap a short piece of chain around similar to the puller above. If they don't come up easy I will cut the cable and roll on. Too cheap to put a lot of effort into getting back
Posted By: Squash

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/26/21 11:46 AM

In my area , soils are rocky westbury loam. Most of the time I break the cable when trying to pull.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/26/21 02:03 PM

Days I can barely get them in because the soil is so hard I know they ain’t just pulling out then if it rains then freezes they might not go in unless you find a crack in the ground to start them.
Posted By: powderfinger

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/26/21 08:42 PM

I dig them out with a post hole bar.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Best way to retrieve Wolf fang earth anchors? - 10/31/21 05:20 AM

Z-trap has a wolf fang shaped disposable stake with a hole near the tip for a “pull-out” cable.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums