Home

Rebar vs chain vs cable drowners

Posted By: K9BeavCoon

Rebar vs chain vs cable drowners - 11/22/21 02:25 PM

Been running cable on my beaver sets. And it’s getting time to replace the cables. Just wondering what everyone else is running and why. I do haul my gear up to about a quarter mile sometimes so weight is a concern for myself.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Rebar vs chain vs cable drowners - 11/22/21 02:32 PM

Id probably keep with the cable in your place. I do run some chain drowners that i can also run as long chain beaver traps if needed. Fiberglass rods really are the way to go as long as you dont have to deal with rocky bottoms
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Rebar vs chain vs cable drowners - 11/22/21 02:56 PM

I use chains. A lot of places here have very gently sloping shorelines where drowning a beaver is out of the question. With the chain, I have the option of song a weight at the end in deep water, or just long-chaining them in shallow water.
Posted By: son-of-grizz

Re: Rebar vs chain vs cable drowners - 11/23/21 12:17 AM

What's the advantage of long chaining beaver? I've always have had the understanding that a drowned beaver would be better.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Rebar vs chain vs cable drowners - 11/23/21 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by son-of-grizz
What's the advantage of long chaining beaver? I've always have had the understanding that a drowned beaver would be better.

Drowning is preferred normally. Long chains let you run footholds in spots where you normally couldn't run drowners. When i go out on some of my longer walk ins, i dont even carry stakes for the traps. You do have to be more careful with your setups to avoid wring offs. Also need to make sure theres no horizontal limbs hidden water cause you misery.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Rebar vs chain vs cable drowners - 11/23/21 03:43 AM

I took rerod and welded a HD washer at the top then made a oversized slide lock that stops at a welded lump at the bottom you stick it into the bottom then stake on the bank you never need to change anything on it like you do with cable.

Clean a spot under the slide lock after setting.

Use the pattern stamped on the rod to help it slide down easy and lock it from coming back.

Quick connects make removing the trap easier if needed somewhere else.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Rebar vs chain vs cable drowners - 11/23/21 12:47 PM

Rebar is the way to go. If you are worried about the weight hauling them in how are you going to haul beaver out?

Beaver are meant to be trapped near roads. They're worth a lot more when they are plugging a county or township culvert, right next to a road.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Rebar vs chain vs cable drowners - 11/23/21 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by son-of-grizz

No real advantage, but sometimes it's my only option. We can't run 330s above the water, and no snares on public land during upland bird hunting seasons, unless they're completely underwater. So if I've got a place where the water is shallow for a ways out, long chaining is pretty much the only option.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums