Home

Contest for wise wolfers(need help)

Posted By: Yes sir

Contest for wise wolfers(need help) - 12/01/21 01:53 AM

So.... everything I'm setting in the ground within 3/4 of a mile of my house is getting dug up again. Started 2 years ago and I just ignored it and moved on. Didn't trap last year for several reasons. Have caught 5 around my house so far but in the last 4 days I've had 4 different sets partly uncovered. With coyotes not having much value my goal rest of season is to catch the criminal and get a little self respect back. Looking for GOOD ideas how to put this sucker in an arm bar and get it to tap out. The person who gives me the set that takes it will receive 16 ounce of the best coyote bait you ever tried grin. Got a couple blind sets out but only trails are cattle trails and they are like concrete right now (took me an hour to put 4 in this morning and I was sweating and wore out afterwards) and the hard trails don't blend back in very good so I'm not super confident in them. Tomorrow morning going to put in some natural pee posts with fresh urine and two traps. Might put a few snares out at some point but it's pretty open country and we can't snare along fences besides roads. If you say it's a bedding problem or coons your disqualified. It might have been a bedding issue 2 years ago but we are beyond that now. Dirt holes disqualify you also as that's my go to set 90% of the time. Saw were it dug at all the loose piles of dirt at a remake that I had caught a coon at. Been doing great for the few traps I have out with the exception of lately and this one coyote. Haven't pinched any coyotes that got away this year either. Enlighten me wise ones.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 02:28 AM

I LOVE the compass set, but others on here poo poo it. Had my first 1 night catch last weekend on it. Best of luck!
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 02:29 AM

Try making a regular set and then setting a trap or two back from the regular set. Only cover with dry lawn clippings, no dirt or peat moss. Don’t just put clippings over the trap beds but cover a bigger area. I am not a wise wolfer , by the way.

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by clintp1971
Try making a regular set and then setting a trap or two back from the regular set. Only cover with dry lawn clippings, no dirt or peat moss. Don’t just put clippings over the trap beds but cover a bigger area. I am not a wise wolfer , by the way.

Lol, just came back to edit my comment, touche to you!
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 02:41 AM

Got one doing the same to me on a walk through. Keeps uncovering my trap and pulling off my pan cover. Changed out my trap from an MB650 to an MB550 just in case it was a contaminated trap or my pan tension too high. 90% of my sets are step downs but starting to use more walk throughs. I've caught them on compass sets but have also lost them due to too many toe catches. I would suggest a blind set close by, but if your ground is as hard as Chinese algebra like ours then maybe hang a few snares. Wish I could be more help.
Posted By: MattDoyle

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 03:17 AM

Assuming that the coyote isn’t reacting to a poorly bedded trap or contaminated trap, then he has to be reacting to either the difference in texture or smell of the freshly dug dirt, or both. A hay mound set should solve it either way. He’s already in your set, as soon as he’s on hay and the trap will only be bedded with hay, so there’s nothing to dig up. Please use two traps, I’m really looking forward to trying your bait!
Matt

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by MattDoyle
Assuming that the coyote isn’t reacting to a poorly bedded trap or contaminated trap, then he has to be reacting to either the difference in texture or smell of the freshly dug dirt, or both. A hay mound set should solve it either way. He’s already in your set, as soon as he’s on hay and the trap will only be bedded with hay, so there’s nothing to dig up. Please use two traps, I’m really looking forward to trying your bait!
Matt

I'll give it a go. Always kind of seemed like a gimmick set to me but if it works for this coyote that's all I need. FYI it's unfortunately not my bait but a friend of mines, but I'm doing the marketing for him because he's way too humble. Lol
But I guess it's really not marketing because he doesn't sell it....

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 03:34 AM

I also like the 2 traps method...I'd almost bed one FIRM (I know) somewhere in the immediate surrounding area, and hope for the best. I've got a similar situation going, and am having fun with the back and forth!

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
I also like the 2 traps method...I'd almost bed one FIRM (I know) somewhere in the immediate surrounding area, and hope for the best. I've got a similar situation going, and am having fun with the back and forth!

I will only think it was fun AFTER I catch it. Until then it's kind of personal. Lol

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 03:46 AM

I agree. I felt the same way until I watched Ed Schneider making mound sets with soy bean chaff and read Bill Nelson claiming it to be one of the most productive sets. There is a pretty good video on it here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=avVM93wc-98
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 05:24 AM

Set more snares with kill springs and fewer traps 1/16 " 1x 19 or even 7x7 snares will do the trick in all honesty it doesn't take much narrowing down the trail to catch coyotes trust me .
Now I'm going to go pop some popcorn and watch for all the nay sayer's trying to convince you my suggestion wont work ha ha
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 07:38 AM

Matt

Yes, I agree with Matt. I use straw for my hay sets just what's available. And I place them on a natural or made up dirt mound ... I think it gives the dog a standout focus point.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 08:45 AM

Put your attractor 24"-30" off the ground, make him come in with his nose in the air not on the ground where your trap is.
I'm no wise woofer by any means, but I believe in using an animals strength against them. And with yotes their nose is their strength.
JMO
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 10:24 AM

Dropping set with , no backing. right under its nose. Lured with red fox gland. Sometimes ya gotta get them angry to divert their attention from the trap.

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 12:57 PM

Going to give all these ideas an honest go. Probably catch 20 extra coyotes in the process. Lol
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 01:28 PM

Is it digging repeatedly at the same sets? Even after you’ve fixed them?

If so, pretty simple solution to kill it, as that’s not a smart coyote. Smart coyotes don’t dig more than once, they don’t come anywhere near it.

Next time it digs one, leave everything as is and simply bed another one (or two) extremely well bedded and blended traps where you see he dug from (or think he did if no tracks). Usually the downwind side.

Leave the original trap and pan cover in the bed mostly exposed. He knows it’s there and it gives him something to fixate on.

I’ve left just the pan cover in the original bed and dragged the original trap out to the under foot position too.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 01:31 PM

X2 Not a very smart yote. He has to win every time, you only have to win once.

Originally Posted by Boone Liane
Is it digging repeatedly at the same sets? Even after you’ve fixed them?

If so, pretty simple solution to kill it, as that’s not a smart coyote. Smart coyotes don’t dig more than once, they don’t come anywhere near it.

Next time it digs one, leave everything as is and simply bed another one (or two) extremely well bedded and blended traps where you see he dug from (or think he did if no tracks). Usually the downwind side.

Leave the original trap and pan cover in the bed mostly exposed. He knows it’s there and it gives him something to fixate on.

I’ve left just the pan cover in the original bed and dragged the original trap out to the under foot position too.

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 01:51 PM

Boone
I didn't see that he had dug until I pulled them this year but from my experience 2 yrs ago he'll come right back and uncover them if I fix set. I'll sure try your solution if he uncovers any new sets. Going to break out some of your lure and bait to try on him, got a little left still.Thanks.

Originally Posted by trappergbus
Dropping set with , no backing. right under its nose. Lured with red fox gland. Sometimes ya gotta get them angry to divert their attention from the trap.

Gary do you apply the fox gland lure right to droppings. I picked up a fresh one on road this morning in front of house so I'll be making ur set tomorrow morning.

Yoteguts
Let's just call him smart for my self-esteem LOL but I get ur point

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 03:21 PM

Matt

Put in the chaff mound set with existing wheat and soybean chaff this morning. Used two traps. Bedded and blended the 2 traps for the natural pee post set this morning also. Going to let it air out a few days then add urine and put a compass set close by. I'll add a few more sets in the morning. Then have to wait a few more days until we move calves off wheat pasture to set another field close by.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 04:48 PM

Well blended flat set/scent post. Use clump of grass or something natural as scent holder.

Here is the winning slam dunk.....use two traps....front and back side....or one trap up close and other trap further out front and offset.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/01/21 05:41 PM

Very good information form Boone, SW, and others that should get the job done. But here's a thought, the yote is accustomed to you and your smell. If you have a wife, child, or good friend that knows how to make a good set, just let them get out at the area and set a good flat set with a genuine coyote turd for backing and shot of coyote urine if you so desire.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/02/21 07:21 AM

Landmines. He'll only dig once lol
Posted By: Shot

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/02/21 09:57 AM

Maybe try setting a trap set. Put some lure on an exposed trap in a different location and set a trap on a trap. Might throw him for a loop.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/02/21 10:54 AM

On the dug sets, pull those traps, bed fresh one far back and down wind, no scent.
Set dp with sardines in original bed.
Catch your "diggers". Send prize to a kid on here.

Many have been through this, it's fun lol.
Posted By: Zagman

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/02/21 10:56 AM

I agree with Boone.....if he comes that close that often, he's killable. The one's that wont come any where near your equipment and/or leave no sign are the tougher ones.

Canids can't help themselves when it comes to checking out other canids, scent marking, etc.

I'd consider bringing in a coyote turd from another area and using it downwind of the sets he's digging at. Blend your trap in first, sweep or blend in local duff to make it look like its been there for years! Use a backing that's already there, don't move anything around. Short grass tuft or rock or whatever. After trap is blended to look exactly like the whole area, THEN place your turd. If you place turd first, it will grab all of your duff from sifting and sweeping and not stand out as much. It can be old and white or black and fresh, it matters not. I like the extreme colors because they stick out. Here in wet New York State, I don't find many white ones like I do out West. So, around here, mine are usually black black.

If adding anything to that turd, I'd only add good urine. Just a few drops. In theory, if he's coming right by there, he will see it before he gets to other sets (assuming wind is still right) so you don't need to blow his nostrils away........

This method works great not only for smarties, but dummies to!

MZ
Posted By: i1deagU

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/02/21 08:47 PM

I want to get in on this. I always go to Mark June's bucket method when it comes to smart canines. It doesnt matter what it is, those pesky dogs will fall for it. You throw your steel in the ground and put a bucket over it with a rock on top with lure. Use anything that smells enticing. Beaver castor is a go to for me. You have the trap bedded under the bucket with lure on top --- leave for a few days --- and then remove the bucket. Dont do anything else. That canine will come in to see where that stinky weird bucket went. Blind set. I have used this set for only educated canines for ages. It works.
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/03/21 12:45 AM

Try dipping a Q-tip thats cut in half in good coyote gland that you have never used in the area and stick the cut end of the Q-tip in the ground up wind of one of the sets that is getting in covered blend it in so good you have to look for where you set it! Just gland nothing else. I want some more of that bait! Boys and girls hes not messing around that bait is the real deal!
Posted By: schmattz

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/03/21 02:22 AM

I dont know that it is as well tested as some of the other options but this has worked several times for me. I remake the set as normal or try to get the trap out from the dirt hole as far as possible in your existing trap bed. Blend the trap in as good as possible. Like 18" circle or more that all looks the same. Then i put your favorite urine on the back of the hole like normal but the key is to sprinkle urine all over the blended dirt. Not enought that the ground is wet but enough that each drop is no more than an inch from the next. Make the urine the only thing he can smell.

Schmattz
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/03/21 11:28 PM

That hay set is a little different than mine , but should work. I make two mounds of straw about 4’ long and 8” apart , with the traps on each end. Think walk through ! Urine and gland , one on each side along the inside edge of the walk through. I use a variation of Zaggers bedding method that works very well with an MB650 and really shines with this or a bean straw set .

P.s. send the bait to a kid on here .
Posted By: Boy Named Sue

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/03/21 11:28 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Added a fresh trap on each side and filled the hole full of meat.

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/03/21 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Golf ball
That hay set is a little different than mine , but should work. I make two mounds of straw about 4’ long and 8” apart , with the traps on each end. Think walk through ! Urine and gland , one on each side along the inside edge of the walk through. I use a variation of Zaggers bedding method that works very well with an MB650 and really shines with this or a bean straw set .

P.s. send the bait to a kid on here .

Have you done anything with the bait I sent u? If not u send urs to a kid. I tested the stuff u send me.

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/04/21 01:20 AM

I’ve got it in 6 holes as we speak and no takers . I’ve caught six coyotes and 2 badgers anywhere from ten to 30’ away with no takers . I’ve caught one on the beaver tail chunks and should have had another but ran into the same problem your having right now. I tried to tell you competition makes a bait look good .

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/04/21 02:45 AM

I’ve got it in 6 holes as we speak and no takers . I’ve caught six coyotes and 2 badgers anywhere from ten to 30’ away with no takers . I’ve caught one on the beaver tail chunks and should have had another but ran into the same problem your having right now. I tried to tell you competition makes a bait look good .

Funny u just now brought it up when you've had it 7 months. Yours didn't test so good here with competition. I think you just are a little sore from the results I sent u 6 months ago buddy. You're not the only one I sent it to. They can chime in if they want. Side by side comparison and testing pretty much voids the high population bs.

Ps I ve seen a lot of bait people think are good test poorly here with competition
Posted By: vegasjim

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/04/21 03:16 AM

Yes Sir I used your lure and bait a couple years ago and did well with both. I will buy some bait if for sale.

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/04/21 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by vegasjim
Yes Sir I used your lure and bait a couple years ago and did well with both. I will buy some bait if for sale.

Thank you sir. I will say those were my formulations and they tested well. But what I've sent out this year (including what was sent to Golfball)isn't mine and it beat everything I've made or tested.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/04/21 10:27 AM

Make the “digger” commit...Post hole set. Except my version is deeper. Find a decent backing or bring one in. Dig a hole straight down about 10 inches. Bed trap on bottom and be sure to use a longer chain as a short chain and disposable stake will be use of no use...will not be able to reset trap. About two inches from bottom hole above the trap use a screw driver and make a pilot hole for your skunky or minky smelling lure.
Negatives with this set....hard ground and when it rains hole fills up.
Try it
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/04/21 12:33 PM

This will get him. I call it the poor boy. If he’s a digger get a rib bone or something flat and pat the dirt on top of the bedded trap firm. No loose soil anywhere. If he is that bad of a digger I would just put fresh scat on it and nothing else. Bury the 1” thick rock past half to 2/3 in the ground. Don’t just set the rock on the ground. Good luck here’s what it looks like.

Attached picture BF81F71B-83C9-41F1-B880-2DE8CE585DB4.jpeg
Attached picture 363B5CA8-6CBE-458F-8810-3B36055A8396.jpeg
Attached picture D5DD27FA-F708-44D0-807C-7918E2DB3243.jpeg
Attached picture 54381BE4-5992-4667-BB0E-9F5905A39A17.jpeg
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/04/21 03:43 PM

Just saw this, Seth. I’ve used a set in the past, called a sod set, that is a good change up for them. sounds like you have plenty of advise already, but Boone and Zag pretty much covered it, so good luck with your trained engineer! lol. Just bury your trap deeper!

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/04/21 05:29 PM

Lee
I remember you talking about that set awhile back. Waiting to move some calves off the wheat behind the house then I have a good place for that set. And yes a lot of good information shared with me here. A few guys including yourself that I was hoping to hear from on this thread (still waiting on Danny to post but what he would add might have been covered already). Thanks everyone! Targeting one coyote with two traps at most sets and using sneaky sets that require more blending is different than what I was doing with just 5 minute dirt holes to keep it fast and focused on #s.

Update. Put urine on a natural scent post I bedded traps at 3 days ago. Put in Gary's dropping set with fox gland a couple days ago along with a hay mount set using existing wheat straw and bean residue. Put in another dropping set with just a drop or two of fresh urine as Zag suggested ( on a rock for you Pawnee) and a compass set today.

Since posting this thread I've shot 2 young females and caught a mature(but not real old by my guess) female in a blind set this morning all within a half mile of my house. That makes 7 taken within that radius this year. Saw another while feeding this morning. From tracks I'm still looking for a big old male I'm thinking but who knows it might be the female I caught this morning. So far the blind set is in the lead. Snares go up tomorrow and maybe a few other suggestions. We got 550 mama cows and calves within a mile of my place so there will be more coyotes coming and going.

Terrain is mostly along fence rows between pastures and fields. No trees. Tall grass in most pastures. Cows are in most pastures and some fields so limited where I can set.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/04/21 10:43 PM

Not sure what this set is called(flat?)

Attached picture C82D3EB4-8863-4A41-8A6F-47A822645B74.jpeg
Posted By: Kentuckyguy

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/04/21 11:44 PM

I wanna preface this by saying that I am not a Wolfer. But when I have trouble catching a tote that’s killing sheep I always go back to the compass set.

I want it blended to the point I can’t even find it. Then I usually go with some curiosity type lures. Generally Carmens

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/05/21 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot

Description if you got time. Details are hard to see on my phone. Thanks

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/05/21 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir

Description if you got time. Details are hard to see on my phone. Thanks

Small rock is a loose jaw guard with urine on it. Grey thing is a fish head, under it is a hole wallowed out with rebar with lure. To the right of that is is a flat piece of wood with bait smeared under it. More like a walk through with three different points of interest. Trap in the middle of it all
Posted By: vegasjim

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/05/21 03:36 AM

Yes Sir want to recommend bait?

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/05/21 02:21 PM

I got my digger yesterday. Barely. But got is got.

Pulled trap back to where it looked like he stood to dig. Left pan cover in original bed partially covered. Looks like I pulled it back just a tad to far. Had him just by the pad and the outside two toes. Odd.

[Linked Image]

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/05/21 02:25 PM

Yes sir I told you why I didn’t test your stuff earlier, my place has been under water every time I turn around . But I am curious as to why your acting so sore about it . After all I do have it out on the line and have bait sitting in the bag and on the sideline that I have caught coyotes with in years past . I’ve set those baits aside to give yours an honest test. As of right now I’ve pulled everything but ten sets , of those three are dirt holes with your stuff . In ten days or so I will pull those and reset the other areas and I’ll get to see if any of those other three have been dug out.

To be quite honest I don’t even care if you or anyone else likes the beaver tail chunks. I know enough guys using it to know they work and they work especially well on a pipe . But you don’t have to take my word for it , we can start another thread and let the guys on here tell of their results.

P.s. coyote number seven yesterday bit the pipe and the BTC .

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/05/21 06:36 PM

Yes sir I told you why I didn’t test your stuff earlier, my place has been under water every time I turn around . But I am curious as to why your acting so sore about it . After all I do have it out on the line and have bait sitting in the bag and on the sideline that I have caught coyotes with in years past . I’ve set those baits aside to give yours an honest test. As of right now I’ve pulled everything but ten sets , of those three are dirt holes with your stuff . In ten days or so I will pull those and reset the other areas and I’ll get to see if any of those other three have been dug out.

To be quite honest I don’t even care if you or anyone else likes the beaver tail chunks. I know enough guys using it to know they work and they work especially well on a pipe . But you don’t have to take my word for it , we can start another thread and let the guys on here tell of their results.

P.s. coyote number seven yesterday bit the pipe and the BTC .

I’d like to hear more about this

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/05/21 07:59 PM

It’s no big secret that I like natural baits , I’ve caught coyotes on just about everything over the years. Last couple of years I have been using the old beavertail chunks after they quit making oil, these things are as much as 5 years old . Just shaking the jar makes them fall apart. Late last winter I used beaver fleshings with decent results I’ve also used deer scraps , ground groundhog and the last couple of years chunked up muskrat. Hard to argue with a guy that can catch nearly a thousand coyotes on the stuff . That’s not to say I can’t catch coyotes on commercial baits , I’ve got a handful that I like . The simple fact is most of them are just so so for me and I attribute this to the lack of numbers in my area .
Posted By: red mt

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/06/21 04:29 AM

Pulled trap back to where it looked like he stood to dig. Left pan cover in original bed partially covered. Looks like I pulled it back just a tad to far. Had him just by the pad and the outside two toes. Odd.

[Linked Image]

Only got to win once

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/06/21 11:13 AM

[Linked Image]

The fake trap bed works pretty good . Me thinks we'd all be surprised how many coyotes get caught digging and scratching at our traps. Is the scratching just a normal reaction to the stimulus? Or do they know there's a trap there? Perhaps the both front paw catches are diggers?

Thoughts??

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/06/21 01:01 PM

I don’t think many adult coyotes are habitual diggers, anxiety diggers, diggers just for the sake of digging, etc.

Fox on the other hand......

I think most all canines, coyotes included, go through a digging phase. Most every dog I’ve ever owned has. Coyote pups are programmed at a young age to dig for food as mom and dad bring stuff back and puke it into dirt depressions.

But most outgrow this phase, unless they’ve been given a reason to dig.

Trapping “late denning season”, end of July, August, those pups are 3-5 months old. They can be digging little turds. Anything loose and soft is their playgrounds sandbox.

By prime fur season, everyone’s matured enough where I just rarely encounter incessant digging without reason to dig.

Take a dirt hole set. The response we eventually want at that set, is to dig out the tasty smelly thing laying in the bottom. We’re providing them a reason to dig. In a perfect world, the coyote should be caught before he gets a chance to dig. But it’s not a perfect world. Sometimes we screw up, sometimes we’re just plain unlucky. They hook the trap, feel the trap, than concentrate on that for a spell. Some just immediately start working aggressively at it and find the trap that way. I’ve seen coyote diggings where the dirts flung back 8-10 feet, that’s some force, you don’t do that casually scratching at something.

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/06/21 01:39 PM

Good information Boone thanks for sharing. I caught a mangy male at the natural pee post set this morning. Barely had him caught by a back foot.
Gary I've wondered if we catch some scratching at our traps also. Seems some were just a half inch from firing the trap. A slight miscalculation and they would become fur.

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/06/21 04:12 PM

[Linked Image]
Think this old girl may have been the problem. Only one canine tooth left. Rest broken or gone. I'm sure she's looked over a set or two of mine. Blind trail set took her. Never been much for blind sets but I'm learning they have their place.
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/06/21 04:37 PM

congrats seth hopw shes the one thats been giving you fits
Posted By: Seldom

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/06/21 04:45 PM

Blind trail set took her. Never been much for blind sets but I'm learning they have their place.
Absolutely!

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/06/21 09:45 PM

Way to go! I think I may have also caught my digger today. Got him by the front leg in a snare I set yesterday in a small gully. Got 4" of snow with wind and that filled in part of the gully causing him to step into the snare. But I'll take it! [Linked Image]

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/07/21 02:16 AM

So here’s the next question. Who was the winner?

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/07/21 10:31 AM

I don’t think many adult coyotes are habitual diggers, anxiety diggers, diggers just for the sake of digging, etc.

Fox on the other hand......

I think most all canines, coyotes included, go through a digging phase. Most every dog I’ve ever owned has. Coyote pups are programmed at a young age to dig for food as mom and dad bring stuff back and puke it into dirt depressions.

But most outgrow this phase, unless they’ve been given a reason to dig.

Trapping “late denning season”, end of July, August, those pups are 3-5 months old. They can be digging little turds. Anything loose and soft is their playgrounds sandbox.

By prime fur season, everyone’s matured enough where I just rarely encounter incessant digging without reason to dig.

Take a dirt hole set. The response we eventually want at that set, is to dig out the tasty smelly thing laying in the bottom. We’re providing them a reason to dig. In a perfect world, the coyote should be caught before he gets a chance to dig. But it’s not a perfect world. Sometimes we screw up, sometimes we’re just plain unlucky. They hook the trap, feel the trap, than concentrate on that for a spell. Some just immediately start working aggressively at it and find the trap that way. I’ve seen coyote diggings where the dirts flung back 8-10 feet, that’s some force, you don’t do that casually scratching at something.

Yep, that's my thoughts also. I rarely get scratching or digging at straight urine sets or blind trail sets. Mostly with food based stuff. It helps me anyway to get the smells above ground. And add urine sets at the same locations. If there's a trail blind sets also. Tire tracks work well for that.

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/07/21 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy
So here’s the next question. Who was the winner?

Have to give it a little time to tell if the digging stops but I believe 20scout is the only one that throughout the blind set. If I'm wrong please correct me.

20scout I hope you got ur digger. I would of just said you set the snare for a less obvious leg catch. Makes you look even sharper as a wolfer. Lol

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/08/21 04:06 AM

Ha, I would have but then I'm sure the nay-says would have had fun with it!

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/08/21 01:35 PM

Good news and bad news.

Took Pawnee and Zag's advice. Found flat rock in a perfect spot. Put turd from another area and put a couple drops fresh pee on it. Set two traps blended good. Had one trap scratched down hinge point of jaws. The good news is he barely missed stepping on the pan of second trap, so he doesn't know it's there. Very large tracks so I'm assuming old male.

What now? Do I leave as is ? Do I leave set alone thinking he'll come back and get caught next time? Or add another scent to get him back?

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/08/21 02:59 PM

sounds like you need a set where you put trap in the ground, blended well, and then cover it with a bush. go back 2-4 days later, remove the bush and lure it somehow without stepping on the ground. i remember Charles Dobbins doing this in a story, but he was on horse back and lured it from leaning out of the saddle.

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/08/21 03:09 PM

sounds like you need a set where you put trap in the ground, blended well, and then cover it with a bush. go back 2-4 days later, remove the bush and lure it somehow without stepping on the ground. i remember Charles Dobbins doing this in a story, but he was on horse back and lured it from leaning out of the saddle.

I did that with a pee post set and caught a mangy pup lol.. I am horse back most days

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/08/21 05:57 PM

I did that with a pee post set and caught a mangy pup lol.. I am horse back most days

old pocket watch in a dirt hole? yeah thats all i got lol

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/08/21 06:20 PM

BS Lol

Got more MO on suspect. Hay/ground duff got dug every where chaff was piled up. Looked to be from outside of set. Don't think he would enter it. Where I left a light layer(trail in and over traps no digging).

Compass set....light scratching at a couple holes but again wouldn't go into set it appears.

One remake.... digging at several piles of loose dirt but trap was covered in some wheat stubble and he didn't find it..

So what I'm thinking he digs in loose stuff until he find a trap. But based off the turd on a rock set once he finds one trap game is over. Won't enter a big spread out set like Compass or hay/ground tuff set.

Solution
More trail sets in grass to cover with grass. And as Boone and maybe others suggested an obvious dirt hole backed with a trap covered with just grass. Think he recognizes a set for what it is and is more intrested in finding the one trap than working the bait or lure. Few snares out but with cattle everywhere I'm very limited. He got lucky at the turd set but his luck will run out one of these times.

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/08/21 07:57 PM

I remember an article by Major Boddicker, where he got a wise one using half urine and half blood. Mixed together. Can’t remember if it was a dirt hole or flat set

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/09/21 02:24 AM

BS Lol

Got more MO on suspect. Hay/ground duff got dug every where chaff was piled up. Looked to be from outside of set. Don't think he would enter it. Where I left a light layer(trail in and over traps no digging).

Compass set....light scratching at a couple holes but again wouldn't go into set it appears.

One remake.... digging at several piles of loose dirt but trap was covered in some wheat stubble and he didn't find it..

So what I'm thinking he digs in loose stuff until he find a trap. But based off the turd on a rock set once he finds one trap game is over. Won't enter a big spread out set like Compass or hay/ground tuff set.

Solution
More trail sets in grass to cover with grass. And as Boone and maybe others suggested an obvious dirt hole backed with a trap covered with just grass. Think he recognizes a set for what it is and is more intrested in finding the one trap than working the bait or lure. Few snares out but with cattle everywhere I'm very limited. He got lucky at the turd set but his luck will run out one of these times.

On the mound set, I have found that it really helps to bring the big mound to a point, kinda like a tear drop. I like to drive a pipe in the point and then maybe lightly cover it with duff. The point is obviously trap side. I REALLY like two traps here bc they seem to ALWAYS come from the side. So instead of putting a trap directly off the from of the point, I place a trap on both the left and right of the point. You can even make another smaller mound in front to give it a walkthrough effect. By giving them one point to focus on, and using the pipe to keep the bait/lure separate from the duff, you are more likely to get him to play your game by your rules.
Matt

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/09/21 03:02 AM

[Linked Image]
2 trap coyote!

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/29/21 01:35 AM

Update.
Caught the eleventh coyote here close to the house. It's been a week and a half since I caught one in this area. Big female. Didn't look real old but had some wear on here teeth for sure. Hadn't got dug for awhile. I think I was setting enough steel in front of her she was getting shy. I'd seen her several times but never got a good shot at her. This is how the set that caught her came about. It was originally a trail set in tall grass where a fence met the road. Caught a jackrabbit about a week ago in it. Wired jackrabbit to corner post up high about 10 foot from trail and remade trail in grass. Couple days later bobcat found rabbit and ate half before landing in trap. Remade trail again and thought between cat and rabbit smell and rabbit fur everywhere it might work. 3 days later big female coyote. If no more digging in area I think the winner is Wetdog with suggestion of putting attractor up high.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/29/21 07:53 AM

You are certainly going the right direction by giving the Coyote something to focus on and play with. Then be real discreet and subtle with other sets. A lightly sprayed hidden urine post back a ways. A couple blind sets. A very subtle flat set with no lure or bait, just an old bone.

And add a very obvious set with a chunk of bait but without a trap or pan cover. Let it dig and find only a reward to lower its guard. In the old days, my grandfather put up signs that said “No trespassing, bear traps in use”. Effective with no traps needed. Do the reverse on your digger - free digging at no risk.

And definitely try the Zagman’s scatological suggestion from which I quote: “THEN place your turd.” Following the plain meaning of his writing - the message is clear! Sorry Mark, I had to pick on you in the semantics department.

Marry Christmas to all.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 12/29/21 01:02 PM

If you have an ant hill on location, this is a good set for diggers , dig a deep narrow trench halfway through tapered up so the back is about 4 '' higher put a fresh turd in the back of the trench with a trap that has caught a coyote bedded directly in front of the dropping, now bed a clean trap at the trench opening. Raise the loose Jaw of the dirty trap so the coyote can see it ant hill sand is easy to work with in the frozen ground. If you can't find a fresh dropping remove some from a fresh carcass or use a fresh cut out coyote vent thats what I prefer.
Good luck Rich
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 01/03/22 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
[Linked Image]
2 trap coyote!

Those bring twice as much money!

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 01/03/22 08:15 PM

Caught #12 here at the house this morning.

Got a dusting of snow Saturday so after chores Sunday I made a few rounds looking for sign. The few sets I had out I could check from road so I never get close to them but with snow I went up to them to read sign. Looked like only one coyote had been through the neighborhood. Big tracks like those of my enemy. First set I checked was one of Pawnee's Poor boy sets I'd put in about 4 days previously. Droppings from another area with a slight bit of gland lure ( a version of a Kuykendall formulation I make) underneath with droppings from 10 foot away placed across from rock. Large tracks circling about 10 foot out. Came across dirt I had discarded from bedding trap and rock 15 foot from set and dug at pile a little bit.
Second area I had a double dirt hole at end of pond dam and pee post on center of dam. Passed down wind of dirt hole without any break in stride. Pee post was good size rock that I poked a small hole beside with driver and put a small clump of grass about size of thumb sticking up about 3 inches in then hammered hole tight on grass clump then added small squirt of urine I collected myself to grass. Had a good amount of large tracks circling set close and some digging from side at the base of grass were I made the hole for grass. He didn't mess with trap so I knew it didn't know it was there. I had an idea he'd be back.
This morning big male with big feet was caught by 2 toes waiting on me.
Not a gummer but definitely a short tooth older dog. Feeling pretty good this was my trouble maker.

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 01/03/22 08:46 PM

Will add, the more coyotes I watch on trail cameras and the few sets I've done with just good urine I collect myself, the more impressed I am with it as a stand alone attractor. If coyotes are cheap again next year I might do some learning and put a lot more sets in with just urine. Scent posts and dirt holes....???

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 01/03/22 08:48 PM

Sure sounds like that was your culprit. Congrats! Im guessing it was probably a little bittersweet now that the chase is over…
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 01/03/22 09:02 PM

Yes sir, Ed Medvetz gave me that High lure idea on one of our loooonng phone conversations.
I've also caught some hard to catch yotes with Herb Lenons digger set from his 5 page booklet. Set your favorite set along a trail with no trap.
Place a blind set in the trail on each side of set, 6-8 feet away.
It's worked for me.
I can't wait to get back afterem in 6 weeks or so. Why can't bones heal faster. Lol

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 01/03/22 09:10 PM

I'd kind of given up on catching him (or at least this year). I saw him I believe high tailing it across open field about 300 yds off road Sunday morning and kind said to myself "I guess u win". A little respect for the feller but I'm glad I don't have to deal with him again. But I'm sure there will be others. I learned a good amount of valuable information on this thread from some good trappers, trying new sets suggested here and going after him that I will use in the future.

Adjusted my trapping this year with low fur prices but had a good year for learning. Highest catch rate I've ever had if you dont count the last two weeks or so I've spent trying to catch these last two or three. Think I a was around 1 coyote per day per 12 or 13 traps set. Normally around 1 to 20 or so. Probably about done for the year other than some skunk Trapping in February and testing some powered foot snares I've finally finally finished designing and building. Want to test their functionality a little bit before I build a bunch for next year.
Sure sounds like that was your culprit. Congrats! Im guessing it was probably a little bittersweet now that the chase is over…
Posted By: Dirty trapper 73

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 01/07/22 03:37 AM

If the dog is working your sets then bait lure combo is good. try using two traps at whatever set you use including blind trail sets spaced out 12-14 inches spaced out on trail. Mafia set. But no Matter what you do if it moves it will get uncovered. Bed em firm you'll gettem
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 01/07/22 12:25 PM

Yes sir, I found your comment on adjusting your trapping interesting. I did the same last winter and my catch rate went way up. I dropped back from my usual 70+ sets to 25-30 and stacked they up like firewood! From the day I made my first sets to the day I pulled them I never got skunked one morning. I’ll have to look at my notes but I think I ran my coyote line for just over 30 days. I started thinking towards the end that the good Lord was throwing me a bone and was getting ready to call me home. Lol

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 01/07/22 03:51 PM

Enjoyed this thread. Learned some good stuff.
I wish it didn’t rain here every three days or so, then i could try just urine alone at some sets.
Posted By: coop74

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 01/09/22 12:18 AM

AWESOME THREAD! I've got a digger now that I have some great new ideas on! Thanks to all that contributed.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 03/08/24 03:21 AM

Ttt
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 03/09/24 12:46 AM

Cool thread. I have some tricks for the next contest.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Contest for wise wolfers - 03/21/24 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
This will get him. I call it the poor boy. If he’s a digger get a rib bone or something flat and pat the dirt on top of the bedded trap firm. No loose soil anywhere. If he is that bad of a digger I would just put fresh scat on it and nothing else. Bury the 1” thick rock past half to 2/3 in the ground. Don’t just set the rock on the ground. Good luck here’s what it looks like.

You need to blend in your dirt ,

That is a lot of trappers problems, in my experience.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums