Diy Catch Pole Instructions - 12/12/21 01:37 AM

A nice fella on Facebook made this up and said folks where welcome to share so

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Diy Catch Pole Instructions - 12/15/21 12:09 AM

I never liked the catch poles that reply on those cheap clothes line tensioners and plastic pipe. I have about $5 in the ones I use, I don't see how it could ever wear out or break, and I'm still using the first one I built 16 years ago.

I’ll try to describe the one I built… I took a 5-foot piece of metal conduit about 1 inch OD. Then I took a hacksaw and holding the conduit up and down I sawed a notch in the end about 1 ˝” deep and wide enough for a small chain link to fit in it. Then I got a 6 foot piece of chain (small dog chain) and a 2’ piece of 1/8" cable. I attached one end of the cable to one end of the chain by running it through the last chain link and using a 1/4" nut mashed on the cable. Then using a drill, drill a small hole through the side of the conduit 1” from the opposite end you cut the notches in. run the other end of the cable through this hole and use a single ferrule to attach the cable to this hole. Then drop the chain back through the conduit. This will leave a cable loop at one end and the chain sticking out the other end of the conduit. To catch the animal, put the loop over the animals neck pull the chain and hook it in the notch on the back of the pole. To release them pull the chain out of the notch and let it slip back through the conduit.

This little cheap pole is great for releasing small critters you don’t want to kill.

I’m sure that’s all clear as mud. Here are some pictures....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here it is in action releasing an otter...

[Linked Image]

~ADC~
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Diy Catch Pole Instructions - 12/15/21 04:44 AM

Agree with the CL tensioner, I made one last year with a similar locking system (to ADCs), just used paracord with knots tied in it...although, mine is pvc. Got a tensioner this year, I think I'll go back to what I had.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Diy Catch Pole Instructions - 12/15/21 06:15 AM

Get a fence tensioner device works great.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=high+tensile+fence+tensioner&FORM=QSRE2
Posted By: ebfarmer

Re: Diy Catch Pole Instructions - 12/15/21 03:26 PM

I have pretty good luck with the clothesline tensioner. I did learn to use nylon coated cable, instead of vinyl coated, it's much tougher and a harder coating. Vinyl gets stuck and torn up in the tensioner.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Diy Catch Pole Instructions - 12/16/21 12:21 AM

I have both kinds. Both work. I do favor the pvc ones.
A little tip for you guys making one.
Put a stop on the cable so it doesn't pull all the way into the pole. Only need a small loop so when the coon jerks his head out of the loop exactly when you jerk it closed you don't have to find a pair of channel locks to make a new loop.
just
© 2024 Trapperman Forums