Home

Buckets and boxes for coons

Posted By: Andy61

Buckets and boxes for coons - 12/25/21 04:35 PM

I got back in to trapping 3 years ago in hopes of helping the turkey population where I hunt, I started with 155 in 5 gallon buckets with a square hole cut in the lid and did pretty well the first 2 years, this year I added some plywood boxes I made, 6 ' square inside and 24'' long with hardware cloth on one end, all I have caught in the boxes is possums, using the same bait in both, fish heads from Walleyes I caught this summer, anything I should be trying. Thanks
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Buckets and boxes for coons - 12/25/21 06:53 PM

Don't make It so hard for the coon to get In the box. It also helps to elevate the front end of the cubby up at about a 45dgree angle. This way the coon dosen't have to get down on It's belly to get It's head in the box.
Posted By: hogwild

Re: Buckets and boxes for coons - 12/26/21 12:51 AM

I have had really good success using 4 gallon square buckets. I cut out most of the bottom but I leave a lip of an inch and a half or so. I also cut put notches for the springs and bungee cord my trap so it is rock solid. Plus, like The Beav said, I stake my bucket tilted up a couple inches off the ground. The difference is I use a 5x7, not a 5x5 or 155, as we are limited in Ohio as to what can be used on dry ground.
Posted By: K9man

Re: Buckets and boxes for coons - 12/26/21 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Andy61
I got back in to trapping 3 years ago in hopes of helping the turkey population where I hunt, I started with 155 in 5 gallon buckets with a square hole cut in the lid and did pretty well the first 2 years, this year I added some plywood boxes I made, 6 ' square inside and 24'' long with hardware cloth on one end, all I have caught in the boxes is possums, using the same bait in both, fish heads from Walleyes I caught this summer, anything I should be trying. Thanks

It’s good to kill the opossum too as well as skunk. All egg eaters!

Re: Buckets and boxes for coons - 12/26/21 08:56 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Buckets and boxes for coons - 12/26/21 03:50 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, I will raise the end of the boxes, I put my traps inside the bucket and snap the lid back on, push the trap up against the bucket lid and put sticks to keep it in place,

Re: Buckets and boxes for coons - 12/26/21 03:59 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Buckets and boxes for coons - 12/26/21 04:19 PM

Andy,
If you are not too far away, I'd give you some of my buckets. I have more then plenty.
Posted By: son-of-grizz

Re: Buckets and boxes for coons - 12/26/21 11:35 PM

Why put the lids back on? Do you have to for regulations?

Re: Buckets and boxes for coons - 12/27/21 12:30 AM

We can only use 5”x5” traps out of water in Ohio, I was afraid the coon would go around the trap and get the bait.

Re: Buckets and boxes for coons - 12/27/21 12:34 AM

[Linked Image]

Photo of one of my boxes
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Buckets and boxes for coons - 12/28/21 10:14 PM

Maybe you have the coon thinned out and your down to opossum . They need thinning too and the bright side is they are probably worth just as much as your coon, lol .
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Buckets and boxes for coons - 12/28/21 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Andy61
We can only use 5”x5” traps out of water in Ohio, I was afraid the coon would go around the trap and get the bait.

We can use 5x7's(as long as the bigger measurement is rivet to rivet and not jaw to jaw)
© 2024 Trapperman Forums