Home

How to cat proof a weasel box?

Posted By: coyote 1

How to cat proof a weasel box? - 01/12/22 06:29 PM

I have a barn cat that steals my ermine out of my rat traps.

Any ideas how to keep the cat out but allow the ermine to still get caught?
Posted By: 20scout

Re: How to cat proof a weasel box? - 01/12/22 06:52 PM

A longer weasel box might work. Make it so the cat can't reach the weasel. Then again you might try catching the barn cat first.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: How to cat proof a weasel box? - 01/12/22 07:00 PM

Use a 1.75 - 2" restricted entrance hole on a long box with deep trap spring slots like this mink box: [Linked Image]

Re: How to cat proof a weasel box? - 01/12/22 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
A longer weasel box might work. Make it so the cat can't reach the weasel. Then again you might try catching the barn cat first.

Thanks guys.

I might try an extension off the front vs rebuilding longer. Do you think that would create refussals? I really don't want to rebuild the boxes, price of lumber is still ridiculous.

The cat is mine, don't want to catch her. She does her job keeping mice at Bay. She is a pain in the rear on my trapline, follows me like a dog and gets into everything.

Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: How to cat proof a weasel box? - 01/13/22 01:58 AM

Have you tried fully enclosed boxes with a 2 inch entrance hole using rat snap traps in them. Pretty reasonable set up.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: How to cat proof a weasel box? - 01/13/22 03:41 AM

Weasels a better mouse catchers than cats so if you want to get rid of the mice, why are you going after the weasle?

Re: How to cat proof a weasel box? - 01/13/22 05:47 PM

My boxes are enclosed with a 2" hole. I set the trap so they step on the pan soon as they enter the hole. The back half of the weasel is outside of the box. I'm surprised the cat could pull the weasel out of the trap but it happened.

I have chickens so I try to keep the population of anything that might kill them in check. If not for the chickens I wouldn't target weasels because I can't stand mice in my pole barn.
Posted By: TC1

Re: How to cat proof a weasel box? - 01/13/22 06:08 PM

Shoot the cat

Re: How to cat proof a weasel box? - 01/13/22 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by TC1
Shoot the cat

I used to feel this way until someone dropped this one off a few days before Thanksgiving last year. It was just a kitten at the time.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: How to cat proof a weasel box? - 01/13/22 06:53 PM

Put a sardine in your weasel box and let the cat get snapped a couple times. It'll quit going in them once it associates the box with getting it's paw snapped
© 2024 Trapperman Forums