Home

43 year old traps

Posted By: ShawneeMan

43 year old traps - 01/13/22 12:54 AM

Got 10 of these square jaw Victors from my uncle who taught me to trap. I've had them for 43 years - don't know how long he had them before he gave them to me.
Put new springs on 2 years ago and they will still hammer a coyote!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/13/22 01:55 AM

I use 40 year old traps every season. When I started trapping I purchased North woods traps in 3 different sizes.. Most of them have seen new coils but are still a good trust worthy trap.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/13/22 02:35 AM

Nice nostalgia, I've got one 45 yr old Vic #2 square jaw coil that my grandfather trapped fox with.

He was my first trapping partner and mentor.

That trap is priceless to me, glad to see your still enjoying your uncles traps.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/13/22 03:28 AM

No, no, no those thin not offset jaws, low levers, twist link chain... never hold a coyote! You better read more on the internet and get rid of those. lol I can't believe the traps I used to use to catch coyotes before I learned on here they won't work. laugh

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/14/22 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
Nice nostalgia, I've got one 45 yr old Vic #2 square jaw coil that my grandfather trapped fox with.

He was my first trapping partner and mentor.

That trap is priceless to me, glad to see your still enjoying your uncles traps.

Well good on ya'!!!!

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/14/22 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
No, no, no those thin not offset jaws, low levers, twist link chain... never hold a coyote! You better read more on the internet and get rid of those. lol I can't believe the traps I used to use to catch coyotes before I learned on here they won't work. laugh

LOL!!! My thought as well. Those old traps have some steel in 'em!
Even if they don't work for coyotes...
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/14/22 01:16 AM

Hate to admit it but I probably caught my first 15 or so yotes in vic 2s back in the day. Stock traps and chains. And still to date out of many, many, many yotes my biggest was in a vic #2. I had plenty tore up before I changed gear but it was all I had at the time.
Posted By: YaYa

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/14/22 03:20 AM

I still have a couple dozen Victor 1 1/2 coil springs with the square pinch pan. IMO one of the best mink traps ever made.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/14/22 06:58 PM

I have a few traps from the 1960s when I trapped in HS. Almost all of my traps were bought in the 1980s and half or more of those were bought used, so yes I use a lot of older traps. The newest traps I own are my 160 body grippers and the last of those I bought in 2012.

Bryce
Posted By: DanN

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/15/22 12:08 AM

I've caught quite a few coyotes in the victor #2 square jaw and and victor 1.5 and never had one damaged, bent up or mangled. Although some on here would try to convince me I'm full of it.

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/15/22 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Sills
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Stop the lying, they cant hold a modern coyote! My goodness man; modern coyotes are so smart they use calculus to escape. Those old traps can never hold up to a modern SMART coyote with a scientific calculator. Like Jayme said just read the post on the internet as these modern yotes are not like those of 40 to 50 years ago! They are college educated I hear!

Ill give $15.00 for all 10 because I don't want you to give up on yote trapping! You can keep the springs you took off!

LOL!!!!!!!
Posted By: cattails

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/15/22 08:57 PM

I'm seriously wondering why your #2 victors held and mine didn't. Your coyotes in Illinois are same as Indiana. It looks like you added a swivel and maybe moved the chain attachment to the bottom?

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/15/22 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by cattails
I'm seriously wondering why your #2 victors held and mine didn't. Your coyotes in Illinois are same as Indiana. It looks like you added a swivel and maybe moved the chain attachment to the bottom?

These are all #3 Victors...
Posted By: cattails

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/15/22 11:00 PM

Looks like a good catch. I'm big on nostalgia. Congrats!

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/16/22 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by cattails
Looks like a good catch. I'm big on nostalgia. Congrats!

Thanks my man - brought back a lot of good memories. My Uncle had the patience of Job with me and my brothers!
Posted By: bhugo

Re: 43 year old traps - 01/16/22 03:43 PM

Very cool!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums