Home

Finally got access

Posted By: Wanna Be

Finally got access - 01/13/22 01:22 AM

Deer season ended Sunday and got to start setting Monday evening. The property is almost 500ac and I decided to split it North and South at the creek. Figure only trapping one side might help increase catches with less disturbance through the entire property. I’ll hit the South for a week or so, then pull and move to the North side.
Only got in about 15 footholds and 10 DP’s.

Tuesday’s catch was only a coon and two tripped deer sets. Yes, it was deer, got them on camera, lol. Of course while the trap is on the deck a fox comes by.

Tuesday evening the critters were moving. Caught a cat at 1900 (on camera) and got to watch it go down. Woke up and checked the other cameras and had another cat. Ended up with 2 cats, another coon, and my money maker, the ole possum, lol.

Using cameras on areas I won’t have to travel unless a catch is made or stupid deer get too curious.

One cat was in a traditional dirt hole set, the other was in a compass set that was bedded Zag style. The first coon was a pipe dream set, the second was a DP. The possum was in a dirt hole with the trap set off to the side slightly. Not a set I know the name of, but just from some observations in the field.

Not a lot by most standards, but I’ll take a catch over nothing at all.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Finally got access - 01/13/22 01:24 AM

Figure I’d show some camera pics too…
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Finally got access - 01/13/22 12:08 PM

Congrats on the permission

Do you put a camera on every set or just a few?

I started this year putting camera on a few sets and setting to video to see what happens when a critter works it

Last year I had a cell camera on a remote trap so I would not have to disturb the area daily to check

Re: Finally got access - 01/13/22 04:53 PM

Mainly use them on dead end areas I won’t have to go to and turn around. Others just to monitor traffic on roads and sets. Between my son and I we have 6 cellular cameras so might as well put them to use.
What was strange is there was NO activity on the cams last night, not even a deer.
But of course, the traps I couldn’t see produced. Only a Grey and possum on a Pipe Dream.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Finally got access - 01/13/22 05:17 PM

Nice pic of grey at sunrise.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Finally got access - 01/14/22 01:11 AM

Impressive my man!
Those darn grinners are such a pain!
How can they be called "furbearers" if nobody will buy them?

Re: Finally got access - 01/14/22 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by ShawneeMan
Impressive my man!
Those darn grinners are such a pain!
How can they be called "furbearers" if nobody will buy them?

I call them my “money makers” lol. Landowners pay regardless and they’re nest raiders. There’s just no way to take a good picture of a possum!
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Finally got access - 01/14/22 02:40 PM

I never ran any spartan cameras.Are they dark ops or infared and how long have to been using these cameras?

Re: Finally got access - 01/15/22 02:14 AM

No flash on the Spartans. All ours are the basic Go-Cams, the cheaper models, lol. We like them. I’ve had one for 6 years now and it’s the older 3G model that won’t work as a cell come February, but will work as a regular trail cam. Spartan have me a $60 discount off a new camera as a buy back, but I still get to keep the old camera as a regular trail camera. Their customer service is outstanding.

Re: Finally got access - 01/15/22 02:26 AM

Not sure what’s going on at this property but nothing showing on camera. The south side isn’t the big producer, but I like to save the best for last, the north side.
Not sure if the moon has anything to do with it or all my cams and sets are in the wrong spots, lol. This morning did produce another coon and another possum. I welcome all egg eaters in my traps. Just wish they’d hit the DP’s instead on the foot holds, lol. The possum came where I caught a coon the first morning and the coon came down a road of planted pines up from where one of the bobcats came from. Really wasn’t expecting a coon in the planted pines.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums