Home

Black Coyotes

Posted By: Sharkhunter

Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 02:02 AM

How rare are they and who’s caught one ?
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 02:54 AM

It seems to be dependent on area. Some guys catch them regularly. I have never caught one but did see one at my cabin once.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 03:58 AM

I suspect that the further east you go, the more likely to find them.
I am real curious what the DNA would tell about if the black comes from gray wolf, or dog in their distant gene pool.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 04:41 AM

I don’t have any here but I’d catch between maybe 10 and 15 a year in the southeast.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 04:55 AM

Had some in a pack many years ago have not heard of one in a long time now. We get some red fox looking ones in one area very cool looking.
Posted By: garyll1959

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 10:34 AM

Son (same one that got coyote bit a few weeks back) sent me some pictures of a couple killed in south central N.C. last weekend. One was almost solid black, the other had a white 'blaze' on the chest and was silver tipped, for lack of a better term.
The boy has declared war on coyotes after having to go through the rabies shots!
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 12:24 PM

They are rarer than hens teeth out west, I've never caught one or known anyone who has. I did catch a yellow coyote once though.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 12:52 PM

I have caught one in north central NC. Would really like to catch another one with similar fur and coloration. Taxi's really like them!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Squash

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 01:25 PM

[Linked Image]

I’ve caught 2, sold the other to a taxidermist.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 02:27 PM

t
Originally Posted by 52Carl
I suspect that the further east you go, the more likely to find them.
I am real curious what the DNA would tell about if the black comes from gray wolf, or dog in their distant gene pool.

full study here:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3899836/
Admixture in North American canids

We analyzed 63 ancestry-informative autosomal SNPs in 437 northeastern canids and found that admixture is pervasive across the region. The ancestry of all coyotes we sampled showed a clear signal of hybridization with various Canis groups: western wolves, eastern wolves, and domestic dogs. Recent evidence from mitochondrial and Y-chromosome DNA support our finding of extensive hybridization among western gray wolves, eastern wolves, coyotes, and dogs in eastern North America (Wilson et al. 2012; Wheeldon et al. 2013). This coyote-wolf-dog hybrid swarm extends into the Midwestern United States. Contrary to our expectations from an earlier finding of no wolf mtDNA in Ohio coyotes (Kays et al. 2010a), these same individuals were, on average, 66% coyote and 24% wolf in their nuclear genome (Table 2). The extension of wolf introgression into Ohio was unexpected because vonHoldt et al. (2011) found that midwestern/southern coyotes were genetically distinct from hybrid northeastern coyotes, and that admixture in midwestern/southern coyotes was primarily with dogs. In their analyses, midwestern/southern coyotes had, on average, 7.5% dog ancestry and 2.4% wolf ancestry. However, their inference came from a limited sample of 13 northeastern and 19 midwestern/southern coyotes, only three of which were from Ohio. Those three Ohio coyote samples are on the periphery of the statistical distribution of other Ohio coyotes genotyped in this study (Figure 2). This is not surprising since those three coyotes were selected for genotyping with the SNP microarray because they were morphologically peculiar, having unusual pelage and craniodental phenotypes.

How did wolf-derived DNA arrive in Ohio? We propose three hypotheses that require further investigation: (1) coyote-wolf hybrids, descendants of the northern expansion front, circled around the Great Lakes and back westward into Ohio; (2) coyote-wolf hybridization occurred in Minnesota or western Ontario (Kays et al. 2010b) and the initial colonizers of Ohio were admixed; (3) coyote-wolf hybrids from southern Ontario moved into the southern peninsula of Michigan and then south into Ohio. These three and any other hypotheses must be able to account for the disparate patterns in mitochondrial and nuclear DNA.

In theory, it is possible that northeastern coyotes evolved to be more wolf-like genetically due to natural selection, genetic drift, or both, thus appearing admixed in the absence of actual hybridization. We reject this hypothesis on several grounds. First, early studies were highly suggestive of a hybrid origin for northeastern coyotes, long before the availability of any molecular data needed to confirm this (Monzón 2012). The hybridization hypothesis was proposed by various authors entirely on the basis of morphology (Lawrence & Bossert 1969) and captive rearing experiments (Silver & Silver 1969; Kolenosky 1971; Mengel 1971). Second, molecular evidence has unequivocally confirmed coyote-wolf admixture in the Great Lakes region and further east since the early 1990s (Lehman et al. 1991; Wayne & Lehman 1992), including recent evidence of wolf mitochondrial DNA introgressing northeastern coyotes (Koblmüller et al. 2009; Kays et al. 2010a). Third, genetic drift alone would make some rare wolf alleles become more frequent at a few loci but become extinct at most other loci, and selection alone would make rare wolf alleles more frequent at a few loci but remain constant at most other loci. However, our results show the rare wolf alleles universally became more frequent in eastern coyotes than in western coyotes, even if they were absent in the western coyote parental population (Figure 3), demonstrating the rapid influx of wolf DNA from introgressive hybridization.

During the design phase of our study there was little evidence that hybridization with domestic dogs is prevalent in the Northeast. Way et al. (2010) found no dog mtDNA in 67 coyotes from eastern Massachusetts, and Kays et al. (2010a) found only one dog mtDNA haplotype in a region-wide sample of 715 eastern coyotes. Consequently, we did not select any SNPs to be diagnostic of dog ancestry when designing our study, but were able to consider this using a post hoc analysis. Our findings are consistent with those of vonHoldt et al. (2011), who found that northeastern coyotes have on average 9.1% dog ancestry; we found that region-wide (including Ohio) coyotes have on average 10.7% (± 3.3% SD) dog ancestry. Using twelve autosomal microsatellites, Wheeldon et al. (2013) recently found that coyotes in southeastern Ontario have on average 2.3% dog ancestry. Together, these results suggest a limited, but appreciable, amount of coyote-dog hybridization in the recent past (11 to 24 generations, estimated by vonHoldt et al. 2011). Since then, the dog components of the genome have been diluted and integrated into the wild gene pool through generations of backcrossing with eastern coyotes. We found no evidence for ongoing coyote-dog hybridization; the homogeneity and low proportion of the dog component in our large sample of wild eastern coyotes suggest that coyote-dog hybridization is infrequent, although the wild population is so abundant that coyote-dog F1 hybrids may appear at a frequency below the detection power of our sample. On the other hand, the dosage of coyote vs. wolf alleles and the fraction of heterozygous loci (Figure S2) suggest that at least some individuals are first- or second-generation coyote-wolf hybrids backcrossed to coyote (vonHoldt et al. 2013).

Our data reveal a complex pattern of admixture among coyotes, dogs, and two distinct wolf populations. We do not believe the common name “Coywolf,” proposed for northeastern coyotes by Way et al. (2010), captures this complexity. Similar patterns of three- and four-way hybridization have been observed in North American Canis. Hailer and Leonard (2008) found some degree of hybridization among sympatric coyotes, Mexican wolves, and red wolves in Texas; Bohling and Waits (2011) detected frequent admixture among coyotes, gray wolves, red wolves, and domestic dogs in North Carolina; and Rutledge et al. (2010) showed that eastern wolves in Ontario act as a conduit of gene flow between coyotes and western wolves by hybridizing with both. Hybridization in Canis extends outside North America: domestic dog genes have introgressed into the wild Australian dingo, European gray wolf, and Ethiopian wolf (Canis simensis) populations (Gottelli et al. 1994; Elledge et al. 2008; Godinho et al. 2011).
Posted By: saskbone

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 04:40 PM

Got a black and two orange ones in all my years of trapping. Very rare in Saskatchewan

All in the same year same area

These two got tanned and the other sold for good money
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 05:48 PM

Young female from a few days ago. Her nose is chewed up...another coyote did that?

Caught 8 black uns one winter. If I run many properties, I usually snag 2 or 3 annually.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bowhunter862c

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 06:44 PM

I've killed 2 over the years. One calling an one Infront of my hounds. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 07:04 PM

[Linked Image]
I caught two this year. One male and a beautiful silver tipped female.
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 07:05 PM

[Linked Image]
Here’s the female.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/08/22 10:41 PM

South Alabama is full of Black Coyotes. Have caught 30 plus black coyotes a year here. Sometimes i get 2 or 3 black coyotes a day.

Attached picture D35149EA-9F32-4CBF-9D3C-C61EBF559789.jpeg
Attached picture 826C50D4-A25B-4E88-9722-B6872341D559.jpeg
Attached picture F518694A-669D-41A3-AC88-4CEE25F03023.jpeg
Attached picture 49483A92-F42F-4F8D-87CD-F195EDC47040.jpeg
Attached picture 68B4B47E-14C5-46EB-8A15-10F264BBAAB3.jpeg
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/09/22 01:10 AM

Never caught one in S. Illinois... that said those black ones look cool!!
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/09/22 01:26 AM

There’s a young feller in North Missouri who caught 500 coyotes last year and is over 500 so far this year and he caught 1 black last year and 1 this year.
I’ve never laid eyes on a live black one around here.

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/09/22 02:01 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sportsman94

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/09/22 02:04 AM

Few I’ve caught over the years in middle Ga

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/09/22 02:22 AM

We got plenty of the redfox colored ones but no black ones around here in over 35 years of hunting and trapping.
Posted By: Snyde901

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/10/22 12:17 AM

[Linked Image]
I lucked into one a few years ago, few and far between around here. Haven't seen or caught one since.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/10/22 12:37 AM

Caught another today. 40.4 lbs.

See my Pred. Mgmt. 2022 thread.
Posted By: bur

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/10/22 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫

[Linked Image]

Hey John, you been saving old catch photos and claiming them as your own? I caught this one at my farm in 2016, must have sent you a picture. You can take the credit though, I still got the $250 from the taxi market, so I'm happy.

Here's another view, it's the prettiest black one I've caught over the years.

[Linked Image]

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/10/22 03:56 AM

Hahaha! Son of a gun! Is that your coyote! I just went through my pictures and send some black ones. I didn’t know I had someone else’s in there, Wil! That’s funny.

I was just thinking about you yesterday. I went to buy some more plywood for beavers and thought about the boards I gave you. Those suckers experienced inflation! Lol.

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/10/22 03:57 AM

Well, the rest of the coyote pics are mine. I hope. Lol.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/10/22 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by bur

[Linked Image]

Hey John, you been saving old catch photos and claiming them as your own? I caught this one at my farm in 2016, must have sent you a picture. You can take the credit though, I still got the $250 from the taxi market, so I'm happy.

Here's another view, it's the prettiest black one I've caught over the years.

[Linked Image]

LOL, that's funny right there.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/10/22 03:26 PM

Nice catches.Congrats
Posted By: Sharkhunter

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/10/22 06:25 PM

Caught this one s couple of days ago [img]http://[/img]
Posted By: mikehunterman

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/10/22 07:22 PM

I have caught 6 on the farm in 10 years. I put on a pic. of this seasons. Division of Wildlife says 75% of [Linked Image]
Tennessee coyotes have wolf DNA. They are seen fairly often in this area.

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/11/22 12:17 AM

Hahaha! Son of a gun! Is that your coyote! I just went through my pictures and send some black ones. I didn’t know I had someone else’s in there, Wil! That’s funny.

I was just thinking about you yesterday. I went to buy some more plywood for beavers and thought about the boards I gave you. Those suckers experienced inflation! Lol.

I'll give you a pass this time.

Rest assured the beaver boards are safe and getting use.

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/11/22 01:32 AM

Good to hear. Good chatting on text with you today, buddy. Keep tearing them up!

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/11/22 05:39 PM

Good to hear. Good chatting on text with you today, buddy. Keep tearing them up!

Same to you sir.
Posted By: Highoctane

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/19/22 04:09 AM

Not as rare as some think. Ive caught three. All within 100 yds of each other. The one in the snow was caught last Jan. The other was caught last Sunday, Feb 6

Attached picture 20210207_135332.jpg
Attached picture Black yote.jpeg
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/19/22 07:36 PM

[Linked Image]

One from a two years ago
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/20/22 03:47 AM

Nice pics guys. The first one I ever saw here years ago, I shot, and it was a black one. Have shot quite a few in the 20 years since, and caught many dozens, but never another black one.
Posted By: Grey Man

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/20/22 10:13 PM

Probably caught 30 or more over the years. My first coyote was black. I've been in areas where it's one in every 10 coyotes. TN, NC, and GA seem to have quite a few in the population. Lots of variations in black colors down south. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If I can find my old pics I'll put some more up.
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/26/22 02:16 AM

Good pictures . First coyote i ever caught was black. I was young from a distance. I thought i had someone's dog caught. When i got up to it u could see it wasnt. I remember like it yesterday. I have caught 1 more after that.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/26/22 02:31 AM

Grey Man - Very cool looking dog. Looks squeaky clean too.
Posted By: Grey Man

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/26/22 03:13 PM

Thanks Willy...he was a good dog. There's another fella got him now. It's funny how that dog could spend the day in a beaver swamp with me and by the time we got home he would be squeaky clean like you see in the pic. Kinda regret sending him off.
Posted By: mark van haele

Re: Black Coyotes - 02/28/22 02:24 AM

Just caught one here in southern MT, nobodys seen one around here!!!

Re: Black Coyotes - 03/01/22 08:06 PM

One I caught yesterday

Attached picture E38D71F2-C659-4DBD-8E70-0F4F108F1B62.jpeg
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Black Coyotes - 03/01/22 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by steeltraps
One I caught yesterday

You back in the land of pines I see!

Re: Black Coyotes - 03/01/22 08:23 PM

Yes. Working where pines are thin. And phone service is thinner!!! LoL!
Posted By: Yotaholic

Re: Black Coyotes - 03/02/22 07:22 PM

ive caught one in twenty years
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Black Coyotes - 03/05/22 11:53 PM

Many black coyotes I've seen made me wonder if someone shouldn't keep their farm dogs up at night.
That's not all of them, however
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Black Coyotes - 03/07/22 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by mark van haele
Just caught one here in southern MT, nobodys seen one around here!!!

Good thing you got his genetics out of the MT pale gene pool.
Posted By: Okiecntry

Re: Black Coyotes - 03/08/22 08:24 PM

I caught four in three years but had COVID so didn't get to set there this year. First one I got mounted. Second one I got tanned. Third and fourth I sold for taxi.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums