Home

Choosing Lure

Posted By: sportsman94

Choosing Lure - 02/13/22 10:12 PM

Does anyone have a process to their lure choice at a particular set? With gland lures, curiosity lures, rub lures, and food lures, how do you decide which one to use at which set for predators? When do you like to use gland lure? When do you use food lure? Etc. Are you trying to paint a picture/scenario or do you just grab whichever one you happen to grab first? I’m just curious what goes into your lure choice at any given set and what kinds of lure you prefer at different kinds of sets.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/13/22 11:45 PM

Yes, I think most trappers have a particular process to their choice at a set. More than likely your food and curiosity lures go into a dirt hole set, but an adaptable trapper can use those same things at a flat set just by smearing them on an object. As for gland lure, I'm one that believes it stays on the surface not down in hole. You can use gland lure in whatever scenario you choose. On a object by itself, on a objects next to your dirt hole with a food/curiosity lure.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/13/22 11:49 PM

You need this book. It was written by Charles Dobbins (Paul's dad). It will answer your questions and rapidly flatten your learning curve on trapping.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Seldom

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot
Yes, I think most trappers have a particular process to their choice at a set. More than likely your food and curiosity lures go into a dirt hole set, but an adaptable trapper can use those same things at a flat set just by smearing them on an object. As for gland lure, I'm one that believes it stays on the surface not down in hole. You can use gland lure in whatever scenario you choose. On a object by itself, on a objects next to your dirt hole with a food/curiosity lure.

This.

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
You need this book. It was written by Charles Dobbins (Paul's dad). It will answer your questions and rapidly flatten your learning curve on trapping.

I’ve got it in my library! Just read through it again a couple weeks ago trying to pick up new tips. Sounds like I need to look back through it again this week. I’ve been trapping for about 10 years and do decent on my small line, but feel like I’ve regressed. For instance, I’m not even catching coons/possums/grey fox this year. I’ve caught a handful of coyotes, but have missed more than I feel like I should. I will say that something seems off this year. Not sure if it’s because I didn’t treat any of my traps this season since I didn’t get in the trapping mood until late, or something else. Regardless, I’m trying to take a more intentional approach to my trapping so that I can get better. In the past I had my favorite lures and would use them however it felt right, but didn’t keep records to know what was most successful. Now I’m trying to break everything apart to do better and keep records of what works and what doesn’t for my style. I do plan to do some lure testing to see what works best for me as well

I appreciate the suggestion swampwolf and will definitely go back through it with pen in hand this week!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 01:32 AM

Find some ones you like and try a couple new lures every year as change ups to see if you like them as you go along through the seasons is what do.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 01:56 AM

Dont overthink it.

Use the best equipment you can afford. Tune up the traps so they fire properly. Keep your gear as clean as you can and organized. Make sets WITHIN INCHES, not feet, of critter sign. Use good quality lures and baits from a reputable lure maker.

And.....set a bunch of traps to catch a bunch of critters. That's what I have to do...lol.
Posted By: BibbCoTrapper

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 02:34 AM

Food lure and bait in the hole, gland and pee on backing or turd, and call lure up high. It works
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 02:51 AM

Here’s another thought…can’t catch what ain’t there. First year on a property and I’m a professional, lol. I mean killing it. The next several years are just ok, but I’m ok with that.
Now if I have cameras up and see critters and not catching them, then I’d get concerned.
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 03:30 AM

X2 spend more time scouting and getting land and less time worrying about lure choice.
Posted By: MattDoyle

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 12:05 PM

https://coyotesrus.proboards.com/thread/9562/use-misuse-coyote-lures

Here is a really good article that should point you in the right direction, but I think Swampwolf said it best. If you can put your trap exactly where the intended animal is already walking, lure choice isn’t a huge concern.
Matt
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 02:44 PM

Location was the biggest hurdle when I started trapping I remember buying several dozen Northwoods traps then not being sure where to set them, it was crushing at the time but you overcome that.

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 04:05 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys. I’m typically good about setting on sign and much prefer it If I can set underneath an existing track. I am bad about over complicating things though and searching for the “why” in what works (or doesn’t). I believe I also have unrealistic expectations about the ratio of catches I am/should be making on a property which leads me to want to catch a large percentage of predators who visit my sets. I just had my worst week of trapping where I caught no predators in a week, despite most of my sets being visited. I had some grey fox digging, but also seemed to have a string of bad luck with coyotes and bobcats stepping just soft enough or on the edge of the pan to not have it go off. (See pictures below). All my failure makes me want to acquire/develop a system to catch a higher percentage of the animals who visit/work my sets and that is the reason for most of these questions.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

MattDoyle, I appreciate you sharing that. I read it just a few weeks ago, but was able to pick up some more info by reading it again.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 04:48 PM

I do a lot of testing in the off season. In my area I've seen a lot of lures not test very well. It's been an eye opening experience. The animals will not lie. I personally believe marketing and popularity sells as much or more lure than quality and catches. I know this is an unpopular view but this is my experience.

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I do a lot of testing in the off season. In my area I've seen a lot of lures not test very well. It's been an eye opening experience. The animals will not lie. I personally believe marketing and popularity sells as much or more lure than quality and catches. I know this is an unpopular view but this is my experience.

X2
Posted By: bur

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by sportsman94
Does anyone have a process to their lure choice at a particular set? With gland lures, curiosity lures, rub lures, and food lures, how do you decide which one to use at which set for predators? When do you like to use gland lure? When do you use food lure? Etc. Are you trying to paint a picture/scenario or do you just grab whichever one you happen to grab first? I’m just curious what goes into your lure choice at any given set and what kinds of lure you prefer at different kinds of sets.

I used to overthink it, just in the same way you are. I have since simplified to the following, and it has proved to be successful for me. Eliminates wasting time at a set trying to determine what to do, which was a huge problem for me.

I carry 2 baits, both with very little to no taint. 1 deer meat based (with hearts and liver), 1 bobcat and beaver based. I carry red fox and coyote urine. I keep a red fox gland lure, some type of skunky lure, and a castor based lure, or straight castor.

When I set an area, I usually set 2 traps at each good location, 1 dirthole, 1 flat set. I run mostly double dirtholes, with one type of bait in each hole, and a skunky lure up top as a call lure. I use coyote urine sometimes, but not all the time, at the dirtholes. I'll make a flat set close by, usually with a dropping, and some type of natural mark like a rock, stick, or grass clump, and create a walk through. Dropping gets red fox gland lure, and red fox urine, natural mark gets castor based lure. That's it, I run my whole line like this from the start.

If things start going stale, I will break out different lures to try, or maybe change to a tainted meat base. Biggest thing is location, which has been mentioned. It's so important, I will repeat it again. Set on sign, within inches, and keep it simple. Get in and get out, and pound in as many sets as you can on good sign. I'll take 10 sets on sign over 3 farms verses 50 sets all over 1 farm on places that "look like they should be good". And to clarify, I am targeting coyotes.

I've taken 9 coyotes in the last 8 days running 12 traps within a half mile of my house using these methods. There is no trick, KISS is the best way.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir

Like making fishing lures. Not so much as to catch the fish but the fisherman.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/14/22 06:58 PM

As stated above,learn as much as you can about the animal you will be going after.Following track's,getting better at picking up on locations and making GOOD sets with well bedded traps the animal it self will be your best teacher.As for lure,bait and urine there are many good one's as well as some bad stuff out there,but none of them are magic in a bottle,hard work is what creates the magic of success.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/15/22 12:50 PM

With set types and attractor choices I ask myself what they are here for at that location. If I see prey I use a food base if I see a scratch kick or a dropping then it's gland and urine. If in doubt multiple choices. The coyotes themselves will teach you what they prefer. Its like fishing for bass, sometimes a little finesse is in order. They don't always eat crank baits..
Posted By: LDW

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/17/22 01:12 PM

I've went away from using much lure. If your on sign, I feel you don't need it. I run 2 baits, 1 mild bait and 1 a little louder. Since I started doing this,my catch has went up. Works for me, may not for everyone.

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/18/22 12:29 AM

LDW, that’s interesting. I’d be curious if being located in the southeast would follow that trend or not. I’m starting to test out some lures/baits via trail cam so I’ll pay close attention. Thanks for the input!

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/18/22 09:30 PM

LDW, that’s interesting. I’d be curious if being located in the southeast would follow that trend or not. I’m starting to test out some lures/baits via trail cam so I’ll pay close attention. Thanks for the input!

A lot of cameras can be detected by coyotes and therefore have an influence on how they react to a lure or bait in front of a camera. Just a friendly bit of advice. If this is your first experience testing in front of a camera your testing could be inaccurate if your camera influences the coyotes reaction. I always get worried when someone tells me they are going to test something I sent them in front of a camera if they have no experience before with this. Took 5 different brands before I found one that worked reasonably well for this purpose. Some cameras sensing/detection system seems more towards deer size animals and will miss some coyotes also.
But good on you for doing so testing to get good answers from your target animals.

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/18/22 09:54 PM

Yes sir, what brand/model did you settle on? I have 4-5 different kinds and planned on putting them on different places to get a better sample size. I did put two foam paint brushes with different baits/food based lures behind the house last night with a camera over it. I came out this morning and one was chewed in half. Of course, the camera caught none of it! Maybe tonight they’ll come back

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/18/22 10:16 PM

I was using the Browning Dark Ops models. They don't spook coyotes but their detection system was really bad in wind blown grass or weeds(taking too many pics of nothing) but would miss some coyotes that worked the set. Even had one in a trap within 50 foot of camera that never trigger camera. Camera triggered fine when I walked up to dispatch it. Seldom recommend a little more expensive model of Browning that he was using, He likes the Browning Special Ops Advantage model BTC-8A. I had a hard time find them so I went with the newer model Special Ops Edge BTC-8E. Just started using them so jury is still out on them for me.

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/18/22 10:19 PM

I still rely heavily on test holes for testing lures and baits. If a coyote really likes something they will dig for it. Coons or skunks won't dig like a coyote and with a little skill you can tell a difference.
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/20/22 03:08 AM

Did a lot of just bait and urine this year on my dirt holes and had a lot of success
Posted By: Highoctane

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/22/22 12:19 AM

I carry Hiawatha Valley bait, GH-II, Yodel dog, and Canine Force. Also have coyote urine. I use some dirt hole sets but I like flat sets best.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/23/22 04:17 PM

Basic lure usage is food lure in dirt holes, gland lure at post sets, curiosity lure at flat sets. Of course any combination of these can work anytime. crazy

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/24/22 11:45 PM

Any luck testing with the cams?

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/25/22 12:39 PM

No visitors since whatever tore up my paint brush the first night. I have put it on the back burner since I set some traps on the field next to my house and didnt want to attract them to my yard versus those sets. As soon as I get the time I am going to put one of my browning cameras up at my moms house since I dont trap there. You may have answered this before, but when you test, do you put everything down a dirt hole or do you make all kinds of mock sets?

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/25/22 12:57 PM

No visitors since whatever tore up my paint brush the first night. I have put it on the back burner since I set some traps on the field next to my house and didnt want to attract them to my yard versus those sets. As soon as I get the time I am going to put one of my browning cameras up at my moms house since I dont trap there. You may have answered this before, but when you test, do you put everything down a dirt hole or do you make all kinds of mock sets?

I never make mock sets when testing lures or baits. I’m testing the coyote’s degree of attraction to a scent, I don’t want anything visual at the scent test site that could be a distraction and give a false determination of the scent’s effectiveness or lack thereof!! A 1” hole drilled straight down 8” deep with the scent at the bottom and nothing more.

Re: Choosing Lure - 02/25/22 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Seldom

I never make mock sets when testing lures or baits. I’m testing the coyote’s degree of attraction to a scent, I don’t want anything visual at the scent test site that could be a distraction and give a false determination of the scent’s effectiveness or lack thereof!! A 1” hole drilled straight down 8” deep with the scent at the bottom and nothing more.

X2 I want to see how hard they will work to try and get it. I did make 15 mock sets with a nonfunctioning trap to test their reactions to a real set.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums