Home

Armadillo Bait

Posted By: We-Sa

Armadillo Bait - 03/18/22 04:19 PM

Anybody have any experience with Marsyada's Armor Plate armadillo bait? everything I've read says most baits won't work and you have to funnel them into the trap with construction fencing or something similar.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Armadillo Bait - 03/18/22 05:17 PM

Somebody makes a box trap out of wood. According to a friend after you catch one in it the rest come in easier. Said instructions say not to wash them out if they take a dump in it.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Armadillo Bait - 03/18/22 07:40 PM

Unless its some sort of gland or scat/urine lure from actual armadillos I wouldn't waste my time with it and even then I have my doubts.

The only lure I've ever found effective is FRESH diller funk. The key to successful diller trapping is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION and good drift fencing technique.

The first one is the hardest but if you transfer that stinky diller cage to cage to funk them up the rest come easy. You might try thin plywood or carpet floors if you're using wire cages.

Re: Armadillo Bait - 03/18/22 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Unless its some sort of gland or scat/urine lure from actual armadillos I wouldn't waste my time with it and even then I have my doubts.

The only lure I've ever found effective is FRESH diller funk. The key to successful diller trapping is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION and good drift fencing technique.

The first one is the hardest but if you transfer that stinky diller cage to cage to funk them up the rest come easy. You might try thin plywood or carpet floors if you're using wire cages.

Thanks warrior, this is what I've always heard and read, and I believe it, but was curious if anyone had ever tried it and whether it worked or not. I was thinking if it did work then it has to be the one of the best kept secrets of trapping, lol.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Armadillo Bait - 03/18/22 11:48 PM

None of those commercial baits are reliable. Other than myself, I don't know of anyone else making armadillo lure.

Warrior, my lure is called dillo funk lol

I don't sell it anymore however.

Build a wooden trap and funnel the first one, the rest will come. Goodluck

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Armadillo Bait - 03/21/22 03:29 AM

Airport is right, you can find them running fence lines and funnel them into the cage with ease.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Armadillo Bait - 03/22/22 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Airport is right, you can find them running fence lines and funnel them into the cage with ease.

This is what I mean by location. I trap suburban yards and it's the fences, flower bed edging, shrubbery hedges, etc that create the funnels and choke points that guide dillers into the path of my traps. Also think feeding and bedding like you would deer. I want my cages between those two points where the diller is straight line moving not meandering around like they do when grubbing.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Armadillo Bait - 03/22/22 12:27 PM

I'll add when using scent, play the wind. They have a great sense of smell.

Re: Armadillo Bait - 03/23/22 02:00 AM

Good info, thanks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums