Home

Wolf Fang ?

Posted By: steeltraps

Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 07:14 PM

OK for those who make Wolf Fangs = Have some questions? FNT make the best Wolf Fangs?? I found a cheaper Wolf Fang bought 100s of them BUT they dont fix my driver. Had to open up driver. Also = 3/32 ferrules? Im using a hand crimp now. Did 100 the other day. Plus 100 or so to day. Looked at benchrest model? Recomendations?

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 07:17 PM

ALSO. = Why doesnt know one make a crimper that you just crimp a =3/32 ferrules one time??? Why do you have to crimp twice?? Seams dumb to me ! I dont care if it 500 dollars. I may have a machinist build me a crimper that crimps ALL the way across a 3/32

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 07:18 PM

May do few more

Attached picture 47DC7C4D-B493-48A1-8A1A-6A0A456530AB.jpeg
Attached picture B100C2E8-3CA6-4A2D-9A31-C1B5A312EFC1.jpeg

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 07:38 PM

Here is a WCP Wolf Fang. Want fit on my driver. Had to open up

Attached picture AD7BA97F-2422-4B0B-A418-89AA0C2F1663.jpeg

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 07:40 PM

Plus. = Felco 7 ? Good cable cutter? Got some that were supposed to be here yesterday BUT blame the late mail or fedex or ups on Covid everyone says Got a 12 dollar pair of cutters from ACE

Attached picture 4094B438-59A7-4534-AAA6-D6BB95193B92.jpeg

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 07:42 PM

Making 14 inch Wolf Fangs. On 3/32 Korean cable now. Is Korean cable better?
Posted By: warrior

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 09:07 PM

Felco is a good brand held in high regard.

They do make a single cavity crimper in 1/16 not sure about larger sizes. The single cavity I'm speaking of looks like a cable cutter so it may be a leverage thing.

https://images.app.goo.gl/28aYfa4rsMhScCsL7

Doible crimping spreads the load over the length of the ferrule, yes a pia. Maybe one made up like the two piece die and bolt crimper could be made to do both at once. But it would be slower still.

I know southern snares uses a hydraulic press type crimper but that's not nice to the wallet nor exactly portable.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 09:15 PM

Don't know on the different makes. I think mine are freedom brand, I'd have to look. They fit just fine and I like them better than super stakes as they are easier to pull. Though I've bent a few and busted ferrules pulling. I also have noticed that the longer a cable is in the ground (acid soils) or reused the greater the likelihood of rusting out in the middle and breaking.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 09:16 PM

I prefer the fnt wolf fangs. I’ve tried other cheaper brand ones and the tab break’s off sometimes when driving into hard ground. That’s also using chain and welded s hooks.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by The hammer
I prefer the fnt wolf fangs. I’ve tried other cheaper brand ones and the tab break’s off sometimes when driving into hard ground. That’s also using chain and welded s hooks.

Wolf Fang = Freedom Brand + FNT fit on MB driver , FNT driver, AND Custom Driver I got from you Hammer . BUT Wolf Fang WCP fit on NONE of the other 3 . So I guess their cheaper to buy but not as uniform

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Felco is a good brand held in high regard.

They do make a single cavity crimper in 1/16 not sure about larger sizes. The single cavity I'm speaking of looks like a cable cutter so it may be a leverage thing.

https://images.app.goo.gl/28aYfa4rsMhScCsL7

Doible crimping spreads the load over the length of the ferrule, yes a pia. Maybe one made up like the two piece die and bolt crimper could be made to do both at once. But it would be slower still.

I know southern snares uses a hydraulic press type crimper but that's not nice to the wallet nor exactly portable.

Warrior I may do 1500 plus a year so, I might be willing to pay alittle for a 3/32 crimper that will do the job without to crimps. Think of all the time it would save
Posted By: Mark McCary

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 10:36 PM

A good bench mounted swagger will speed things up a bit. The made in Japan ARM Bench Swagger 1/16 - 3/16 is a good one it also has a built in Cable Cutter. The Snare Shop has them listed for 215.00 $$ free shipping. I make my anchors with 1/8th 7x7 cable with 5 links of # 3 chain on the end. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by steeltraps
Making 14 inch Wolf Fangs. On 3/32 Korean cable now. Is Korean cable better?

Korean cable is the high quality cable that makes great snares. When you buy premium cable from reputable suppliers, it’s more than likely Korean cable.

For earth anchors that are at times disposable, I just buy whatever 7x7. As long as it’s not POOR quality, it works fine for this.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mark McCary
A good bench mounted swagger will speed things up a bit. The made in Japan ARM Bench Swagger 1/16 - 3/16 is a good one it also has a built in Cable Cutter. The Snare Shop has them listed for 215.00 $$ free shipping. I make my anchors with 1/8th 7x7 cable with 5 links of # 3 chain on the end. Hope this helps.

Will it crimp 3/32 in one crimp all the way across ?
Posted By: Mark McCary

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 11:00 PM

No, I have never seen a hand operated swagger that would?

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/16/22 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mark McCary
No, I have never seen a hand operated swagger that would?

Ok thanks. My question is = If my gunsmith can build a rifle action out of a block of steel. Why cant we build a 1 shot crimper? Would people that trap not but 1 ? It could cost me more than 500 bucks to build? Wouldnt it pay for itself in time? I seriously want to have one built
Posted By: Old coy

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/17/22 12:26 AM

Would it be possible to add a plate onto the side or sides of the crimper jaws? File or grind the plate to match the crimp slots?

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/17/22 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Old coy
Would it be possible to add a plate onto the side or sides of the crimper jaws? File or grind the plate to match the crimp slots?

My quess is yes ! What if you took the crimping piece off the tool then had a machinest double it? Just make a bigger copy ? Im not look to sell it. Not really trying to rip off someone’s else design Just make a better one
Posted By: Old coy

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/17/22 12:42 AM

I would think that’s doable. There’s a lot of talented metal workers out there!
Posted By: BandB

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/17/22 01:56 AM

Snare shop has one that says it does full swages with one compression. I don't know if that's full length or something else. I've also ran into Wolf fangs that don't fit the driver. I think they were Freedom brand. I just used a file on the insides of the stake to make it fit. Took a few hits on each side to get them in the driver.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/17/22 03:04 AM

Will call them Monday and see

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/17/22 03:18 AM

It could be that doing two compressions with one pull might not allow for elongation of the ferrule. But then again I've seen professionally done crimps on other cabled gear that looked to be either a one shot crimp or done by perfectionist who could do duplicator work.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/17/22 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
It could be that doing two compressions with one pull might not allow for elongation of the ferrule. But then again I've seen professionally done crimps on other cabled gear that looked to be either a one shot crimp or done by perfectionist who could do duplicator work.

Has to be a way to do 1 crimp. Just think of all the time it would save ! LoL!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/17/22 12:32 PM

I use a bench mounted swagger I do 3 squeeze pulls one right one left then the middle I believe it gives me the best hold that way, you will notice the ferrule shifts material around when you crush it so use that to your advantage then. Your real issue might be wrestling with that hand crimper around the right tool for the job makes all the difference you’ll see.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/17/22 02:28 PM

1 crimp per ferrules makes more sense too me. Thats what I want. Going to see about getting it come Monday LOL!

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/17/22 02:58 PM

It’s raining now. So If I may build a few more Wolf Fangs.

After lunch

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/17/22 03:20 PM

My Felco 7 plyers didnt arrive by FedX yesterday. So i will cut some cable after lunch with ACE Hardware cutters LOL!
Posted By: 653

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/17/22 08:51 PM

Try menards brand cable cutters. Not expensive and guaranteed for life I take one back at least ounce ayear cuzz i just cut and run alot of times

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/18/22 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 653
Try menards brand cable cutters. Not expensive and guaranteed for life I take one back at least ounce ayear cuzz i just cut and run alot of times

Will give it a look. Like the tough of = cut and run. After May 8 or so its going to be = back to back jobs for me all year till Oct.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/18/22 06:07 PM

I’ve also got a couple sets of the menards cable cutters $7 or $8 for them and they cut clean , no fraying.

The bench mounted crimping tool will probably save you enough time that you will forget about the single crimp deal . I mounted mine in the vice and it sped things up quite a bit. I also think two or three crimps may actually move the ferrule ( aluminum) in a way that’s helpfull as far as holding power.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/18/22 08:56 PM

Felco 7 cutters came in today from EBay. Their great!!!! Cut like butter. No effort like the other cheap cutters I have LOL!

Attached picture F09283EB-4107-47F2-89DE-687F7A0FCD6B.jpeg
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/18/22 09:33 PM

Felco 7 cutters came in today from EBay. Their great!!!! Cut like butter. No effort like the other cheap cutters I have LOL!

Love my felco cutters too
Is the hammer your new 1 crimp tool? Lol
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/18/22 09:42 PM

ST,
You could save some $$ by using 2" fender washers and 30 penny nails instead of WolfFangs.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/18/22 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
ST,
You could save some $$ by using 2" fender washers and 30 penny nails instead of WolfFangs.

Is that like a = Pogo anchor???

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/18/22 10:52 PM

ST,

Is that like a = Pogo anchor???

Yes...easy to make. In your clay soils a 1.5" washer will hold anything.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/18/22 11:03 PM

I would like a picture of one

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/18/22 11:34 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/18/22 11:38 PM

Interesting. Pre drill a 1 inch hole and it still work?

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/18/22 11:53 PM

Interesting. Pre drill a 1 inch hole and it still work?

I don't pre-drill but that would make it easier. I make my drivers out of hardened 5/8" hex-shaped rebar. I cut the end slots with my chop saw.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/18/22 11:56 PM

I buy the washers and nails in bulk. Last batch of supplies I bought (about a year ago) I could make them for about 11 cent each including the 15" of 3/32" cable.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/19/22 01:13 AM

I've got a set of cable cutters that look like those felpros I bought years ago. I suspect they are felpros but not positive. They cut like a dream. I've used them to cut winch cables and quite a bit of 1/2" and 9/16" haywire as well as a lot of 3/32" and 1/8" trapping cable. The jaws aren't big enough to get more than one or possibly two of the strands of big cable in at a time, but they will just snip it away one strand at a time slick as a whistle.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/19/22 01:44 PM

[Linked Image]

Any one use them In frozen ground? Would the J hook make It harder to drive?
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/19/22 02:20 PM

HIT Brand Wire Rope Cutters are about 1/2 the price of Felco Cutters and work just a well IMO. But don't just take my word for it. HIT is the brand that Newt Sterling uses and he cuts plenty of cable. I got my HIT Cutters from Newt. I have a pair at the bench and another pair in the beaver snare bag.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/19/22 03:23 PM

Beav,
Ive used the pogos in hard soils and the jhook doesnt cause any problems......but...

....I started out using #6 jhooks and noticed where the heads were stressing the washer and appeared to be close to pulling thru the hole on some of the cable stakes. I noticed this by chance when I pulled a couple up just to inspect em. I intend these as one time use and cut cable when pulling. Repeated use will cause problems.

I then went to 20 penny nails (same issue), then 30 penny nails (much larger head) and problem solved.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/19/22 04:28 PM

ST,
Just checked pricing on all components for 2" pogos with 30 penny nails. Will cost closer to $1 each now, including aluminum ferrules and cable.

You are better off with the Wolf Fangs....about 75 cent each with cost of cable and ferrules added in.

Looks like I will be Wolf Fanging it very soon.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/19/22 04:42 PM

Swamp. I can get Wolf Fangs for 35 dollars a 100. And Cable and ferrules for ME are free. LOL!!
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/19/22 08:40 PM

OK for those who make Wolf Fangs = Have some questions? FNT make the best Wolf Fangs?? I found a cheaper Wolf Fang bought 100s of them BUT they dont fix my driver. Had to open up driver. Also = 3/32 ferrules? Im using a hand crimp now. Did 100 the other day. Plus 100 or so to day. Looked at benchrest model? Recomendations?

The Original 'wolf fang' is the HIGH DESERT SPEAR sold by O'Gorman Enterprises
Let's call an Ace an Ace !

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 04/19/22 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by LT GREY

The Original 'wolf fang' is the HIGH DESERT SPEAR sold by O'Gorman Enterprises
Let's call an Ace an Ace !

I wish you could still find those. OR better yet get some one to make me 50000 of them
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 05/23/22 03:01 AM

Has O'Gorman stopped selling them ?
Posted By: Guss

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 05/26/22 10:33 PM

I cut off 3" of black pipe and weld a nut on top. It makes a cheap good earth anchor.
Posted By: Mntrapman

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 05/27/22 01:06 AM

Why not just put your furrels on an anvil and hit them with a hammer?
Posted By: CoonNfoxtrapper

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 05/27/22 03:03 PM

Fnt are the only fangs i will buy now but I did fall into the wcs trap once. I had to drive back home and open up my driver a hair so I could start setting it was irritating to say the least lesson learned.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 05/27/22 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by LT GREY
Has O'Gorman stopped selling them ?

Yes. Not in last 2 catalogs Was told by Ogorman’s student. = a guy wanted to buy rights on = High Dessert Spear. But I never heard back from that guy. SO I guess no more High Dessert Spear ???
Posted By: Craig Acton

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 05/31/22 10:30 AM

steeltraps,

I borrowed a crimper from work and it only takes one crimp on 3/32. I will look at the brand when I get home and snap a picture.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 05/31/22 01:23 PM

Ok. Thanks.
Posted By: Coyotero7

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 05/31/22 07:34 PM

My Dad bought my pair of Felco Cutters for me on my birthday when I turned 15. I'm 40 and they are still going strong too. I use them every year on the line and they have put up with a lot of abuse. You definitely get what you pay for!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 05/31/22 10:30 PM

Will the Felco Cutters cut 1/8” cable? If so I’m getting a pair or two. Anything has to be better than my 9” pliers, lol.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 06/02/22 08:51 AM

Yes, the Felco cutters easily cut 1/8” cable.
Please order me a new pair too. Lost mine, using the lousy backup.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 06/08/22 09:41 AM

Steel traps, sorry it took so long but been trying to figure out how to load pictures. [Linked Image]

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 06/08/22 09:43 AM

Here’s some more pics.

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 06/08/22 09:48 AM

Still can't figure it out lol, The brand is national telephone supply from Cleveland Ohio. It does a good job with one crimp. I use the (Q) and it works like a charm.
Posted By: bob maier

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 06/25/22 06:52 PM

Kendell from no bs lures is making the high desert spears, got permission fro ogorman.
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Wolf Fang ? - 06/28/22 04:46 AM

The wolf fangs were a significant improvement from the spears. Used one WF and cut off all of my spears. If you ever used spears, you know what the problem was with them. I have about 200 sitting around if someone wants to trade WF for the spears, esp WCS WF (made somewhat thicker).
© 2024 Trapperman Forums