Home

#2 DLS purpose?

Posted By: jooleyen

#2 DLS purpose? - 04/25/22 02:38 PM

I tried to do a forum search and got some results, but when I go to read the threads, they're all blank. Anyone know why or how to fix this?

Anyways, I was trying to research the #2 double longspring. Is it a strange in between size that's a jack of all trades but not a master of anything, or is there a good specific use for it?
Posted By: MChewk

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/25/22 04:42 PM

I think it was all around predator trap back when red and gray fox were in numbers...really still is ...not perfect but still a good trap. Remember talking to Wayne Derrick about the much stronger #2 Newhouse dbls Wayne said he wished he had a 100 of them because the stronger springs combined with the wider jaw face would be great for the grays, coyotes and even ‘ cats that he had on his trapline.But again it is not perfect...jaw spread is a bit small. Just my take.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/25/22 06:57 PM

I always thought the #3 DBL was the odd trap out, I feel it is too big for smaller animals and too small for the bigger animals. I do use the #2 DBL quite a bit and it does well for me on anything except Bobcats, Beaver and Coyotes- although many have probably been caught and held in them. I really like them with cast jaws for some reason.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/25/22 08:44 PM

I think it was mainly a fox trap on land and a decent water trap for drowning coons and such. There aren’t as many foxes as there used to be, at least in Michigan. There’s lots more coyote than ever before. Coil springs just replaced it mostly like many longs. 3’s and 4’s long springs have a big coyote , bobcat, and beaver following comparably so you still hear about them more often.
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/25/22 09:09 PM

I sometimes use a #2 double long on blind sets in water. I’ve held mink, muskrat, beaver and otter in them.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/25/22 09:19 PM

I started with that trap, caught fox and coon in them. I think they would hold about anything that would fit their foot in them.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/25/22 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
I started with that trap, caught fox and coon in them. I think they would hold about anything that would fit their foot in them.

I started with this trap also. Had 18 B&Ls and Victors. Many a grey fox and coon caught in those traps.

This was in the mid70s to early 80s.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/25/22 09:28 PM

That #2 northwoods long was a great trap
Posted By: Mark McCary

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/25/22 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by jooleyen
I tried to do a forum search and got some results, but when I go to read the threads, they're all blank. Anyone know why or how to fix this?

Anyways, I was trying to research the #2 double longspring. Is it a strange in between size that's a jack of all trades but not a master of anything, or is there a good specific use for it?

The best use for them would be in a drowning type set only, just because they are heavy for their size. IMO. there are much better traps for dry land type of sets!
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/25/22 10:29 PM

Many years ago i used them in areas that might catch dogs. Such as gamelands, etc for the reason that they were easier on the dogs & still hold coyotes, etc. Of course nowadays a 1 1/2 with offset jaws is the way to go
Posted By: DanN

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/26/22 01:20 AM

The #2 longspring is one of the best coon,rat and mink traps for water sets like pocket sets and fish stick sets. Same jaw spread as a 1.5 coil , but better lock up because of the mechanics of the longsprings. while approaching sets I've witnessed more than one front foot caught coon escape 1.5 coilsprings by pushing the levers down with their back feet and pulling the front foot out - they cant do that with the longsprings.
Posted By: Boco

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/26/22 01:58 AM

Back in the day they were used for coon,fox and fisher.
Posted By: Keith Daniels

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/26/22 02:16 AM

Best foot trap there is for water trapping. The big footprint makes them easy to bed and spear into the side of huts and feed beds, the weight drowns a rat before it can even get out to the stake.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/26/22 04:13 PM

I’ve sold nearly 1000 used #2 DLS Victor’s and Blake’s to a guy over the last several years. This guy is the real deal. One of those guys who piles up the fur that you never heard of. #2 DLS’s are his go to rat, mink, and coon trap.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/26/22 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by claycreech
I’ve sold nearly 1000 used #2 DLS Victor’s and Blake’s to a guy over the last several years. This guy is the real deal. One of those guys who piles up the fur that you never heard of. #2 DLS’s are his go to rat, mink, and coon trap.

I talked to guy one time who sold used traps who told me the same thing,the guys trapped the Mississippi if I remember right and piled up the fur.They were really hooked on the No.2 long spring as their go to trap.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/26/22 08:20 PM

Best water trap. Holds anything you catch.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/28/22 12:44 AM

Held an awful lot of coyotes in them on purpose.
Jim

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/28/22 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by jabNE
Held an awful lot of coyotes in them on purpose.
Jim

Interested. Did you purposely buy and use the 2’s for coyote, or did you just have them and so you used them instead of a larger trap? Not trying to be argumentative at all. Thanks
Posted By: YaYa

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/28/22 02:44 AM

Found a dozen #2 B&L double long springs at an estate sale many years ago. One of the best traps I ever owned. Rats, mink, beaver, otter, coon, bobcat, fox.
Posted By: Bass1

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/30/22 12:28 AM

I use about 18, #2 dls for winter trapping fox and coyote. I have them base plated with a center D-ring. These are excellent for winter trapping as even if the trap freezes to the snow, unlike coil springs, the trap still fires since the top of the spring is not frozen. I run about 4 ft of chain on them and a 5-6foot tree branch for the drag. I secure the chain to the tree limb about 1' from the thick end of the limb so that it plows into the snow. They never go more than 10' from where the trap was set. These are a great trap for this set-up.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/30/22 02:23 AM

I would think Sleepy Creeks No.2 with its nut and bolt pan would be excellent
Posted By: jabNE

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 04/30/22 08:06 PM

Bhugo, back in 80s I ordered a bunch of #3s and they sent me a bunch of 2s instead.
Was too late to get it fixed and send em back, they did give me a refund on the diff. Back then were no cell phones and quick online orders, all mail in, checks, phone calls. Not a quick process to redo an order.
I used 2s on coyotes for many, many years after thst because it was what I had and because they worked.
So yes, made em work, but also sort of liked em..we have a jillion coon here and back when coon were worth something the 2 was a good fit for both coyote and coon for my line. Also held everything else on my coyote line...Fox, cats, you name it.
I always thought threes were a little too big for coyote work, grabbed em pretty high. My best year was 45 coyotes all in 2 longs, that was many years ago though.
I mean are they an ideal coyote trap? They are not a bridger coil, or an mb 550 by any stretch. But with a tight double dirthole and small bed, you bet I wouldn't hesitate to set them.
You can see how I set mine up. Better chain, swivels, booster springs, and adjust those pans so no wobble. Squeeze the dog eye to take the slop out of it, and file the dog and pan notch to a nice crisp but short throw so when it goes it goes at once with little pan movement down to fire.
2s might be a great all around water trap, but for me they have been an awesome all around land trap if you set them up well.
Jim
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hollowtrapper

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 05/01/22 02:50 PM

nice batch of fur caught with those #2s jab!!!
I have a dozen of the Sleepy Creek #2 long spring I really like em
Posted By: 2cylinder

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 05/02/22 12:07 PM

You can use them the same way you would use a 1.5. I have sleepy creeks and Victor's. Use them in the water, on dry land for fox and coon, and I have held coyote in them plenty. I like them in water because they give me just a little bit more room then my #1 coils or #11. Are they any better then a coilspring? I don't know but I've gotten used to them and I found them easier to stabilize in my mud on the creek banks here then coilsprings.

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 05/06/22 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by jabNE
Bhugo, back in 80s I ordered a bunch of #3s and they sent me a bunch of 2s instead.
Was too late to get it fixed and send em back, they did give me a refund on the diff. Back then were no cell phones and quick online orders, all mail in, checks, phone calls. Not a quick process to redo an order.
I used 2s on coyotes for many, many years after thst because it was what I had and because they worked.
So yes, made em work, but also sort of liked em..we have a jillion coon here and back when coon were worth something the 2 was a good fit for both coyote and coon for my line. Also held everything else on my coyote line...Fox, cats, you name it.
I always thought threes were a little too big for coyote work, grabbed em pretty high. My best year was 45 coyotes all in 2 longs, that was many years ago though.
I mean are they an ideal coyote trap? They are not a bridger coil, or an mb 550 by any stretch. But with a tight kdouble dirthole and small bed, you bet I wouldn't hesitate to set them.
You can see how I set mine up. Better chain, swivels, booster springs, and adjust those pans so no wobble. Squeeze the dog eye to take the slop out of it, and file the dog and pan notch to a nice crisp but short throw so when it goes it goes at once with little pan movement down to fire.
2s might be a great all around water trap, but for me they have been an awesome all around land trap if you set them up well.
Jim
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thank you for the great reply.

Dbl longs just hold and hold! Love it.

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 05/09/22 08:53 PM

Do you guys know a source for #2 Sleepy Creek DLS springs? Mine are getting a little weak.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 05/10/22 12:37 AM

I ended up with a bunch of them when I started out trapping.
Caught about everything my area had to offer in them.
Had to trade them off when I got to Montana, for #3's
Posted By: white marlin

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 05/13/22 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
Do you guys know a source for #2 Sleepy Creek DLS springs? Mine are getting a little weak.

just to piggy-back on Larry's request...if anyone knows of a good source for springs for the Sleepy Creek # 4 longsprings, please shoot me a pm.
Posted By: Fiske

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 05/13/22 01:49 AM

Murray's lures shows the have 2 dls springs in stock

Re: #2 DLS purpose? - 05/17/22 08:54 PM

Or they used to..... Just tried to order and they are out of stock.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums