Home

So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall?

Posted By: IowaTrapper

So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/07/22 03:37 AM

What's everybody gonna be planning? Markets are tough, gas is high, anybody gonna hit fur yet, just set a few around the back 40, hang em for a year maybe more? It's definitely a tough time to get new people involved with everything going on.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/07/22 03:39 AM

I might just trap 30 some coon. They are fast to catch easy to put up. And they are worth about the same as WI coyotes.
Posted By: Bob

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/07/22 04:49 AM

I would if there were any here to chase lol. I’ll have to settle for kit fox instead
Posted By: 080808

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/07/22 10:15 AM

I plan on limiting my trapping this fall to 780 acres between me and my neighbor. All from my UTV. Coyotes, beaver, fisher, otter. Coon will be gas money. lol.
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/07/22 11:45 AM

I will for sure. Trap all species. And coon is 40 to 60 percent of my total catch for the season. Many land owners ask me to do such. And they ain't a terrible amount of labor, really.
Posted By: Guss

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/07/22 12:14 PM

I plan to go for coon mink,rats and beaver with beaver being #1 for me.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/07/22 12:16 PM

By request and mostly with a cash infusion
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/07/22 12:42 PM

I'll be chasing them about as hard as I can, mainly just to do my part. I plan to try to set some new personal records with the ol thermal.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/07/22 03:08 PM

Been hitting a few here just to help the turkey population. May do the same as 08 , trap off the side x side .
Posted By: bblwi

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/07/22 04:55 PM

I am doing some damage work now for a few customers with some cash for expenses and gas. I will trap a few more than in the last few years as farmers are wanting coon numbers down. With higher crop prices damage costs them more and several are willing to chip in for some expense monies. It surprises me that we don't have more diseases yet with the numbers we have had over the last 4-6 years.

Bryce
Posted By: 1weektrap

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/07/22 07:25 PM

Pretty much have to, to keep farmers happy. And they sure fill up coyote and rat sets! But only going to target them where they are pounding the corn I think.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/07/22 08:14 PM

I think so. I'll stick close to home and trap a good sized river bottom. Should be plenty to keep me busy.

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/08/22 02:44 AM

I'm not sure I'd I'm gonna try to beat last year numbers or not, got some time to figure it out I guess..
Posted By: Northernbeaver

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/08/22 03:18 AM

I'm going to work and maybe toss some money at bobcats and beavers later in the season.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/08/22 10:27 AM

I think all of you are going to reassess when gas is over $6.00 a gallon in the fall and you are chasing after worthless coons. Only ADC work will make any financial sense.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/08/22 10:51 AM

Yes, I will work on them. We have so many around here, low market is producing a bumper crop.
This was from back of my property couple nights ago at a feeder we have set up for does and fawns.
Jim
[Linked Image]

The coons have become the local bullies, and by my cam pics they always move in and chase off the deer.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/08/22 11:19 AM

[Linked Image]
A guy sent me this pic of a blanket he made from his coons. Almost makes me want to trap some
Posted By: Northernbeaver

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/08/22 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
[Linked Image]
A guy sent me this pic of a blanket he made from his coons. Almost makes me want to trap some

Those are some nice 'coons, much prettier than some of the pee stain yellow ones I've been catching recently.
Posted By: Kyle Krebs

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/08/22 05:21 PM

I'm the guy who made that blanket. Nothing like a little free advertising!! Those are bleached ND coon nothing else really special about them. It turned out very well and am more than pleased with it. It has a black velveteen backing and a quilt liner in between the layers. I have been sleeping with it. It's awesome!!

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/08/22 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Green Bay
I think all of you are going to reassess when gas is over $6.00 a gallon in the fall and you are chasing after worthless coons. Only ADC work will make any financial sense.

I wouldn't say they are worthless,still some mo ey to be made but with high gas prices it definitely cuts into it..
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/08/22 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle Krebs
I'm the guy who made that blanket. Nothing like a little free advertising!! Those are bleached ND coon nothing else really special about them. It turned out very well and am more than pleased with it. It has a black velveteen backing and a quilt liner in between the layers. I have been sleeping with it. It's awesome!!

Very well done! Gotta be plenty warm
Posted By: Grey Man

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/08/22 09:21 PM

Hate to say it but it's getting harder and harder to just do it for the love of the game. I started out doing it for profit. As years went by started trapping more for the love of it. Last several years have been spent growing a business in this industry so the "for profit " is now again mostly why I trap. I have a true passion for piling up coon. There's nothing like it to me but it's not what pays the bills. Being from the south, we can't give our coons away. Last year I made more money on G-hogs than coon if that tells you anything. Beaver are my #1 money maker so I'll be hitting them for sure. Probably won't fool with anything else as far as fur goes.
The way it's looking now I'll probably end up spending more time toting a rifle through the darkness eradicating hogs for people than I will setting traps. Kinda bums me out but that's the world of today.
Kudos to you folks still doing it just because you love to.
Posted By: Wife

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/08/22 10:46 PM

And I thought Beaver Trappers were hard to break of their habit. At least beaver have a castor gland to market ! ! ! ! ........................... the mike
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/08/22 10:57 PM

I'll catch some because it's part of what I do. They won't get wasted have a couple outlets for them and have been putting some tanned ones away for a blanket
Posted By: claycreech

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/09/22 12:48 AM

No, although a land manager hit me up yesterday about trapping coon off 3000 acres or so. He asked me to come up with a dollar figure per coon. If he is good with my price I may have to dig out the coon equipment lol

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/09/22 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by claycreech
No, although a land manager hit me up yesterday about trapping coon off 3000 acres or so. He asked me to come up with a dollar figure per coon. If he is good with my price I may have to dig out the coon equipment lol

I've had somwthing similiar a few times, if you don't mind, what is a fair $ amount in your eyes, feel free to pm me
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/09/22 02:27 AM

If our numbers look good I might actually try and catch a few.

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/09/22 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by IowaTrapper
Originally Posted by claycreech

I've had somwthing similiar a few times, if you don't mind, what is a fair $ amount in your eyes, feel free to pm me

I’m going to tell him $15 each.
It won’t be hard to catch 25 to 30 a day for several days off this property.
I won’t be skinning them.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/10/22 02:38 AM

I get $25 per small critter. I have a real job and this is just for turkey money.

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/10/22 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I get $25 per small critter. I have a real job and this is just for turkey money.

I know that I can take 250 to 300 coon off this property. I have in the past while fur trapping. Only this time I won’t have the time and effort of hauling them home and skinning them. It’s standing corn, water, and pin oak timber and all very accessible. I’ll do everything off a side by side. And it’s 10 miles from home. $15 will work at this place.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/10/22 05:04 AM

Holy cow, I don’t have that many on all the properties I trap, lol. 250-300 is a pile of coons, and that ain’t counting possums you’ll encounter. Sounds like good money to me! Good luck!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: So, anybody else gonna be chasing coon this fall? - 06/11/22 01:44 PM

I'll be after them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums