Home

Music wire spring size for mb550

Posted By: Sharkhunter

Music wire spring size for mb550 - 06/24/22 04:08 AM

I have some old 550’s that the springs are weak on and the spring pin has been cut so 4 coiling isn’t an option really. I like the speed of a 4coiled trap though. Thought music wire main springs might be the answer I’m looking for. What size would a mb 550 take ? They come in 1.5,2,3,4 sizes. I was going to just order one set to see how I like them first.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 06/24/22 11:42 AM

I would call mtp and ask them what they would sell spring pins for. Shouldn't be too bad, and then you could four coil them. Some four coil kits come with new spring pins for other models of traps.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 06/24/22 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
I would call mtp and ask them what they would sell spring pins for. Shouldn't be too bad, and then you could four coil them. Some four coil kits come with new spring pins for other models of traps.

X2

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 06/24/22 09:08 PM

My mistake the traps I want to 4 coil are Duke 550s. I called Duke and you can’t get a spring pin for a Duke 550 for love nor money. I’m going to go check if a my mb 550 pins will work. If so you have to buy those with the pan attached.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 06/25/22 12:50 PM

You can buy the pins or whatever it's called for MB 550s. MTP sells them.
Posted By: CountryCletus

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 07/01/22 02:22 AM

If you call JC Conner and tell them what pin width and length you need, they will get back with you. They are great people! Measure the spring pin width at the frame where it crosses.

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 07/01/22 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Blaine County
You can buy the pins or whatever it's called for MB 550s. MTP sells them.

I just received a spring pin and pan assembly for a MB 550. It looks exactly like the Duke. I’ll see if it fits in the morning. If so it looks like I’ll have 3 dz fankindukes as I’m going to put mb pan spring assemblies on them all so I can 4 coil them.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 07/01/22 04:01 AM

Push comes to shove, you can always make your own spring pins if youve got a place locally that sells the right size rod. Ive made temporary pins out of galvanized 9 gauge wire before.

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 07/01/22 06:18 PM

Well that didn’t go that well. I installed the mb pin & pan assembly. Had to totally disassemble the trap then put it back together and retune the trap. Bend the dog some as the pan tension went up to about 6 lbs. I finally got it down to 3 1/2 to 4. All in total about 30 min messing with one trap. Not sure it’s worth it. I’m going to just replace the main coils and let that be that.

I don’t know why people cut the pins. You can bend the pins towards each other or cut them 1” long and call it good but still leave enough to 4 coil when the main springs get weak.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 07/01/22 07:51 PM

Hang on, you have DUKE 550s that have weak springs? Like, just released in July 2019 duke 550s?

If that’s true then I guess we know why dukes 550s are so much cheaper than MB’s. I have 2 coiled mb550s that are still holding coyotes with the stock springs that I bought over ten years ago.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 07/01/22 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
Hang on, you have DUKE 550s that have weak springs? Like, just released in July 2019 duke 550s?

If that’s true then I guess we know why dukes 550s are so much cheaper than MB’s. I have 2 coiled mb550s that are still holding coyotes with the stock springs that I bought over ten years ago.

Th ere a reason why dukes are cheaper no QC.

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 07/01/22 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bob

My weak and the normal definition might be different. I like a fast trap. They would probably be acceptable to most.
Posted By: CountryCletus

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 07/02/22 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkhunter
Originally Posted by Bob

My weak and the normal definition might be different. I like a fast trap. They would probably be acceptable to most.

How many you have? Perhaps we can orchestrate a trade…
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 07/03/22 01:33 AM

To answer your question I'm 99.99% sure you need the #2 music wire if you want to change the springs. I put some on some Bridger #2s once and they fit perfectly. The #2s are not very big but are very strong. The #3 would be way too big.

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 07/03/22 07:02 AM

How many you have? Perhaps we can orchestrate a trade…[/quote]

I have 24 traps . Might be interested in selling or a trade.
Posted By: RHuff

Re: Music wire spring size for mb550 - 07/19/22 01:15 PM

Sharkhunter if you replace the Main springs on those I would buy factory springs that came on the 550s. I replaced some with #2 Music wire over the last couple of years and they are already getting weak. Most of my original springs on 550s have been strong for at least 8 seasons and some are still really strong. I am getting ready to order some of the factory replacement springs from MTP.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums