Home

How to use lure

Posted By: Wildandrooted304

How to use lure - 06/28/22 07:31 PM

Let’s talk about how to use lures and when to use what lures. I searched the forums but couldn’t find much.
Any good book suggestions on the topic? Any and all info appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: How to use lure - 06/28/22 08:05 PM

Basically, lure is an attraction that brings an animal to a set location. Bait is the substance that holds the animal at the location and gets it working the set until captured. Bait can also be the lure, for example the strong smell of beaver meat is a lure it self. A call lure is generally place outside the baited set in close proximity to it.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: How to use lure - 06/28/22 08:25 PM

I like to keep my CALL lure up at least 3' off the ground so the wind can move It around. I want that lure to reach out and bring that critter In to my set.
A gland lure or food lure or bait Is In the hole. I like to place my urine about a foot from the actual set.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: How to use lure - 06/29/22 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I like to keep my CALL lure up at least 3' off the ground so the wind can move It around. I want that lure to reach out and bring that critter In to my set.
A gland lure or food lure or bait Is In the hole. I like to place my urine about a foot from the actual set.

Same as the Beav, except I like urine right next to hole
Posted By: Bob

Re: How to use lure - 06/29/22 02:17 AM

When trapping canines, Don’t use much. A pea size dab of lure is more than enough
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: How to use lure - 06/29/22 02:58 AM

I was thinking what’s great topic, this could really go into detail and then I remembered it already did. Here’s a link to a thread in chat with plenty to read

LURES WHAT WHERE WHEN
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: How to use lure - 06/30/22 03:27 AM

Some darned good trappers contributed to that. Good reminder to read it again.
Posted By: otterdog

Re: How to use lure - 06/30/22 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
When trapping canines, Don’t use much. A pea size dab of lure is more than enough

This x2. The most helpful info I ever got concerning the use of lure here in the warm weather south was less is better. I dip half a Qtip in the bottle and it’s plenty for here. Coyote catch quadrupled after I started doing this.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: How to use lure - 07/01/22 02:47 PM

I to am a minimalist when it comes to lure . When making a dirt hole the only “ lure “ I use is urine . I figure if the guys in the frozen north can catch a Martin or Fisher or wolverine using a frozen fish head in subzero temperatures, well their is surely hope for my dirthole with a muskrat head a foot deep.
If I’m making a flat set , let’s say a compass type set , I’m using 3 or 4 different smells. Even at half a q-tip that’s a lot of smell going on. In fact the only time I use such a set is when I can’t be right on top of sign for one reason or another. I personally would rather put in three different sets with three different looks and smells than to overwhelm one set with too much smell . If I were in an area with good numbers of coyotes then it’s a little different as competition may have them fighting to get to a multitude of smells.
In my opinion everyone needs to do what works in they’er area , for me it subtly putting in sets that are not too obvious and not too smelly .
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: How to use lure - 07/01/22 04:38 PM

Ask the coyotes this question. Or in other words test lures and baits on the target species. You trap 2 or 3 months out of the year. That leaves you 9 months to practice. It will open yours in a lot of ways. Trouble with asking a question like this on an open forum is you get a lot of opinions and they often contradict each other. Only way to know who to believe is ask the animals then you will start to see who knows what they are talking about. I'm blessed with a lot of coyotes here so they should make every lure look great but it just doesn't work that way. A lot of stuff I see typed on forums doesn't compute with what the coyotes tell me when I start testing.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: How to use lure - 07/03/22 09:42 PM

I use different types of lures different times of the season. Early more of a gland lure in small applications and maybe a little skunk based lure when the temps are cold. I don't use urine it seems to bring to many non target animals.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: How to use lure - 07/06/22 04:49 AM

Dang, finally finished the novel that was posted. Including five pages worth of discussion on the proper jeans to wear trapping western coyotes. wink
© 2024 Trapperman Forums