Home

Bacon as a predator bait

Posted By: Guss

Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 12:23 AM

I went over a trappers house today and he gave me a box of pork
and a few packs of bacon. Is pork a decent bait for coyotes and foxs.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 12:38 AM

I wouldn’t waste good pork on a coyote. There’s lots of cheaper, better baits out there.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 12:49 AM

Bacon grease and pork cracklins have long been a staple country fox bait.

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 12:50 AM

But like said no wasting good pork, just the leftovers.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 12:59 AM

I’d be tempted, if I thought it would work. Just wondering how it would work seeing how they won’t touch a fresh or old dead pig around here. Then again, sometimes the buzzards won’t even touch’em either.

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
I wouldn’t waste good pork on a coyote. There’s lots of cheaper, better baits out there.

It was all FREE. I have nothing to lose. A whole freezer full.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I’d be tempted, if I thought it would work. Just wondering how it would work seeing how they won’t touch a fresh or old dead pig around here. Then again, sometimes the buzzards won’t even touch’em either.

Grandpa always said that coyotes and foxes wouldn’t touch livestock that had been doctored before they died, any type of meds in their system and they’d turn their nose up at it. He was both a trapper and a rancher, so I believe it.

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 04:07 AM

These are feral pigs we kill. Sometimes you’ll smell’em before you see’em. I’ve put cameras on boars, sows, and even piglets…the only thing that shows up are deer, hawks, and buzzards.

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 12:16 PM

Everybody like the smell of bacon. The guy has been trapping over 20 years and doesn't buy bait he uses food scraps and does pretty good in Michigan.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 12:38 PM

Fry the bacon and eat it. Use the bacon grease for bait.
Grease can be blended into glycerin but it must be kept cold or it will separate back to grease and glycerin.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 12:55 PM

Fry the bacon or pork and gather the grease and give it a try at a few sets. You will get the dame smell but you get to eat the meat. Oh see wetdog had the same idea.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 12:55 PM

Lazarus did a thread about bacon for bait a few years back. Should be in the Archives.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bob

Grandpa always said that coyotes and foxes wouldn’t touch livestock that had been doctored before they died, any type of meds in their system and they’d turn their nose up at it. He was both a trapper and a rancher, so I believe it.

I use to wonder the same thing until I started watching closer. Some dead cattle coyotes never touch and some they clean up but I can say it's doesn't have anything to do with if the animal has been treated. And at feedlot dead piles where u can catch truck loads of coyotes I'd make an educated guess that 95% of those deads have been treated before they die if the cowboys were doing there job. Around here a coyote has to be near starving to eat a pig. K9s stomachs can't digest fat. Think Carmen wrote in his book.they can digest beaver and horse fat though.
Posted By: Slipknot

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 02:23 PM

Take the pork and put it in a smoker and put a good drip pan under it with some water and catch the drippings and store them in a bottle. The smoked meat will last for awhile. You can add the juice to dog food for a dirt hole set or you can pour the juice across a road for a trailing scent.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Slipknot
Take the pork and put it in a smoker and put a good drip pan under it with some water and catch the drippings and store them in a bottle. The smoked meat will last for awhile. You can add the juice to dog food for a dirt hole set or you can pour the juice across a road for a trailing scent.

I smoked some horse to test. Tested it many different ways and trapped with it. It worked but smoking it didn't improve the attraction in anyway (much to my disappointment). Have tested the drippings off briskets steaks and roasts some intrest but marginal at best. Just my experience on my coyotes here. Take it however you want.

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 03:53 PM

I've long suspected it is the salt in bacon grease that is the draw.

But honestly though I rarely use bacon grease or cracklins as bait since I cook with them and go through grease as fast as I can make it.

I do know that either will draw ants faster than most commercial baits.

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
I've long suspected it is the salt in bacon grease that is the draw.

But honestly though I rarely use bacon grease or cracklins as bait since I cook with them and go through grease as fast as I can make it.

I do know that either will draw ants faster than most commercial baits.

On a place now the landowner has sprayed almost ALL of his 750ac for ants. Sure is nice setting footholds and DP’s without having to worry about ants.

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 05:02 PM

There to much lard and not enough meat to est unless you like eating lard.

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 05:11 PM

I would assume the grease would be used more as a lure than a bait.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 05:24 PM

I would assume the grease would be used more as a lure than a bait.

I use it cages mostly, I would say it's both a bait and a lure. JMO

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/02/22 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Guss
There to much lard and not enough meat to est unless you like eating lard.

Sounds like some I was given years ago. The fellow who raised the hogs had a deal with the local Krispy Kreme donut to collect all the stale donuts.
Fattest hogs I've ever seen and I mean pure fat.
Posted By: ToCatchAPredator

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/03/22 04:23 PM

I tried using left over pork fat from last season that was left over from grinding up venison into burger. Nothing, and absolutely nothing, touched it. Had videos of coons and foxes walking right past it without even looking or smelling it. The scraps were undesirable to use for grind, ie glands and black spots, so maybe they didn’t like the smell of the glands. Even mixed some into some homemade bait with venison, snapping turtle and goose trimming and nothing touched that but touched the mix without the pork fat. Something about the fat is a turn off in my limited experience
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/04/22 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by YamaCat
Lazarus did a thread about bacon for bait a few years back. Should be in the Archives.

X2
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Bacon as a predator bait - 07/04/22 09:38 PM

I can tell you one thing. . . (okay, maybe two) grin

One : Bacon grease from frying bacon placed in a small ( stake) hole will look like an M-80 went off when the first canine finds it , and . . .
Two : Pork cracklings, and I mean the real old fashioned ones, placed in a dirt hole set will also attract every canine that walks past it .

That wouldn't sell very well at a trapping convention, but it sure in fact does work ! wink
© 2024 Trapperman Forums