Home

Tanned fur project ideas

Posted By: Artrapper16

Tanned fur project ideas - 09/17/22 11:43 PM

I haven’t posted in a while but recently found someone to tan hides for me this winter and I wanting a few more to hang on the wall but after that I’d like to make some things and use them so let’s hear about your fur projects. I love seeing fur blankets especially with more than one type of fur. Also Think I’d like coon fur mittens and a trooper style hat.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 09/18/22 12:13 AM

Here’s a blanket I made. Make sure your hides are garment tanned, there’s a big difference between tanning something to be a wall hanger and it being soft enough to sew and make something from

Attached picture 683BAB1A-C961-4650-BC6C-119BC91A6B49.jpeg
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 09/18/22 12:29 AM

That blanket is beautiful I wish we had a bunch of fox in my area but we just have a few frets and lots of coyotes. I just asked him about how they’d be tanned I hope he gets back to me. How did you see them like how do you do the stitch and was it difficult. Edit: he just answered they will be wall hanger quality. I thought I had found the best deal around lol it was 20 for coon and now it’s 90 lol.
Posted By: Tony1967

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 09/18/22 12:50 AM

Send to moyles or tubari. Cheaper than that and do a great garment tanning job. I’ve used tubari quite a bit and haven’t been disappointed.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 09/18/22 01:47 AM

I had mine done at Z&L. Coon are less than $20 a piece and we’re great to work with. I was able to use a normal sewing machine on mine, I wouldn’t want to do that much sewing by hand. If you are going to use a machine make sure you have leather needles and the leather is soft enough. Other guys here would know better about sewing by hand.
Posted By: Vbillman

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/20/22 10:54 PM

What do your mean garment tanned vs wall hanger tanned? Is there a different product or method for garments? I normally use the orange bottle of hunter tanning solution for my pelts.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/21/22 08:18 PM

[Linked Image]

This is the comforter that my wife and i made. This is a 90% done photo. We tightened up the edges and lined it with a thin wool sheet. Beaver at 3 1/2” strips in a randomized brick pattern with otter trim

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is hand muff made from the remnants of a beat pair of waders. Toasty.

Id like to make myself a quiver from an otter hide but i have plenty of quivers and want to save the otters for another project. Thinking of a blanket for a beaver blanket for my baby boy with some mink trim.

I also use and barter beaver tail for a lot of archery things.
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/22/22 02:17 AM

D.T. , that’s a great idea on the hand warmer!!
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/22/22 04:17 AM

I've been wanting to come up with a koozie design. Lol
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/22/22 01:28 PM

I saw an otter pelt used to make an arrow quiver at the Louisiana Trapper’s rendezvous this month in woodsworth, La.

That was one of the most interesting use of a tanned pelt that I think I’ve ever seen. The tip of the tail was sewn to the back of the neck to create a shoulder strap.

Blankets are always nice.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/23/22 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Vbillman
What do your mean garment tanned vs wall hanger tanned? Is there a different product or method for garments? I normally use the orange bottle of hunter tanning solution for my pelts.

Is day different from night ?

Posted By: Boco

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/23/22 02:39 PM

This is a baby blanket I made in 94 when my daughter was born.it has been used right through by family until a few years ago.
I have made quite a few for sale over the years-quick and easy to make.lined with soft flannell-very warm when taking babies out in the stroller or sleigh in winter,and last for ever,since babies arent very hard on stuff.They are one of the best selling fur articles I make. All self tanned fur.

[Linked Image]

24x34

Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/23/22 08:04 PM

Wow. Not that I didn’t already know it, but there are some very talented folks on here. Great job on the fur products guys. Eric
Posted By: Vbillman

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/26/22 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by LT GREY
Originally Posted by Vbillman

Is day different from night ?

Not sure where your attitude is coming from.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/26/22 06:14 PM

Thinking about making some golf clubhead covers
Posted By: Lance Squires

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/27/22 12:57 AM

Beautiful fur projects. Nice work. We've made a few items but no as nice as those.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/27/22 01:47 AM

Boco that was made out if skrats right?

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/27/22 03:13 AM

Yes Rats.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/27/22 03:44 PM

I remember the days when people (me and Boco) would recommend that trappers make stuff with their cheap fur and we got the ole "That is a limited market" and "Can't sell a hundreds or thousands of cheap pelts that way" I guess we were ahead of our time. smile

BTW Boco the wife just made our first Ontarian sale. Movin in on your market. smile

Re: Tanned fur project ideas - 11/27/22 06:36 PM

Good for you Dirt,no way I can meet the market here.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums