Home

Bone pile sets

Posted By: Yukon John

Bone pile sets - 11/20/22 06:25 AM

I've seen posts of bait stations on here, but can't seem to find much in the advice category. I recently got permission of a substantial landowner, and am slightly overwhelmed. In the next week or so I'm gonna do ALOT of scouting, but there is one particular place that the disposal of animal waste is prevalent (in one particular spot). This happens to be a grass waterway in the middle of cropland, with fence/hedgerows surrounding the property. Just trying to figure my best course of attack. Should I foothold close to the site, or look for places to snare? My intention is to do both, but I'm really wondering what yous all experiences are. I understand that this is vague, but surely we can talk in some general terms here.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Bone pile sets - 11/20/22 10:57 AM

I stay away from "(the one particular spot)." and set the approaches.
The better catch spots are further away than many think.

This might be a good place to put carcasses with permission, I still would not set right there.
You said near water. A downstream scouting, I would go.
AND fence rows, down WIND scouting is in order.

This sounds good, good luck.

Edit. My experience is with paw traps, not snares, others mileage may vary lol.
AND to me it depends on amount of sign.
Are there twelve visiting every other night or are there two every other week.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Bone pile sets - 11/20/22 12:08 PM

I just jump right in when dealing with spots like this. I’ll make 3-4 sets and maybe slap in 3-4 more before a weather system pushes through. It depends on the location and how many animals are using it. That being said we don’t have large numbers of birds of prey like you, so that would probably keep me away from the area. Either way you go it should produce for you. Good luck
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: Bone pile sets - 11/20/22 12:08 PM

For the last 15 years I've been getting deer scraps from a local process and putting in bait piles. Two things I've noticed. One, the coyotes will grab a piece of the scrap and always head up hill. Second that uphill spot will always be somewhat flatter than the steep hillsides where I trap. I learned this by finding the piles of bones left by the coyotes. I understand them going higher, never have figured out why they use the flat spots. Most of these spots are 50 to a 100 yards from the bait piles. That's where I put my sets. In years of deep snow, they will start to make well defined trails to the bait and I will blind set them. Come to the trail from the side, pound in a bed in the snow, drop a trap in a produce bag into the bed and cable off to a small tree or sapling. Either lightly cover with snow or let natural snow fall on it if the forecast is right and brush out my tracks when I back away. Both these types of sets have been highly successful for me.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Bone pile sets - 11/23/22 08:09 AM

" If you build it, they will come "
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bone pile sets - 11/25/22 05:58 AM

In a situation like that it should be easy to see where to set.
Let the animals show you where to catch them.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Bone pile sets - 11/25/22 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
I stay away from "(the one particular spot)." and set the approaches.
The better catch spots are further away than many think.

^^^^^^^^^^^ This and when setting or checking do not walk around or make set and turn around and go back. Either follow thru on the trail or cross over and depart the area in a different location than your entry point. When checking snares walk thru the same route each check.

Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Bone pile sets - 11/25/22 10:53 PM

I set some field edges across the road today. Looked like good sign, plus he has cattle in there now, not messing with them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums