Home

Haystack snares?

Posted By: Yukon John

Haystack snares? - 11/24/22 03:18 AM

Round here we have lots of big round bale haystacks. They are stacked in rows with a gap between each row. Just wondering if any of you have made blind snare sets here (for coyotes specifically). I've thought that if one would set each gap, there would be a chance for a catch...thoughts, or experiences much appreciated!
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/24/22 03:44 AM

The farmer/rancher would not appreciate it. Bales within reach of catch circle would be a mess
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/24/22 03:48 AM

Risk tearing the net wrap of bales if snare doesn't but it down right away.

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/24/22 03:51 AM

I can see that...that's why I asked. I wasn't sure how the animal would react after caught, thanks for the insight! Any experience with animals using these gaps as causeways?
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/24/22 03:55 AM

Good locations but u got to set far enough away the catch can't reach bales. Lots of mice and rats under those bales.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/24/22 03:58 AM

If you can find some rotten bales these are great.

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/24/22 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Good locations but u got to set far enough away the catch can't reach bales. Lots of mice and rats under those bales.

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
If you can find some rotten bales these are great.

Cogs are definitely turning on this...if I invent something, I'll pass it on! Lol
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/24/22 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir

Oh yeah, any row of bales works good especially when its colder, the fur is prime, and everyone is hungry.
Set traps at outside corners at ends of a line of bales and where a single bale has just been pulled and do not stake solid, hook em to drags. Fluff got me onto a trick where we could basically tent peg a drag so that the catch could NOT head toward the bales but since the peg was drove in at an angle, as soon as the catch went the other way it would release. It is the hot set up I think anyway.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/24/22 04:41 AM

He might have earned that trick from Cletus ot Carlis

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/24/22 04:52 AM

Thumbs up Lefty!
Posted By: Slipknot

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/24/22 11:39 AM

Drag would probably be the ticket. If you're not a fan of drags it will take a little more time but you could use a slide on a cable to keep them away from the bales.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/24/22 04:20 PM

I used to set around them alot. I would put snares on slidewires and throw chunks of meat in between the bales.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/24/22 05:45 PM

Everytime I would make a set next to a roll of bales, the farmer would destroy it when they picked them up. Even if I told him about my sets, seems they would forget so now I avoid setting there.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/25/22 04:17 AM

The coyotes here will get in those spaces when it is cold, especially the chupacabra versions (bad mange) to stay warm
Posted By: Boco

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/25/22 05:43 AM

Set away-just drive in a kill stick.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Haystack snares? - 11/29/22 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Flint Hill fur
The farmer/rancher would not appreciate it. Bales within reach of catch circle would be a mess

Oh, that would be putting it mildly !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums