Home

Wyoming sets and catches

Posted By: wytex

Wyoming sets and catches - 11/28/22 04:54 PM

cathryn's thread with Jerry's trapping was awesome, thank you for sharing cathryn !

Lets see some more Wyoming sets and catches.
We started our line this past weekend.
No catches for 3 days of great weather then front rolled in and the spouse took a nice female coyote out of the hay meadows. Next morning with 3 inches of snow we had 2 more coyotes, nice males.
Catches were trail sets or over an old beef calf carcass that was put down. Carcass sets were mainly poop and a pee set away from the carcass pile on drags. The new Strained Chains drags worked great.

Good luck and lets see your Wyoming sets and catches.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mark McCary

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 11/28/22 05:11 PM

Good catches & great pictures. Please put a trap set under that ridge tree!!!!
Posted By: TEpnw

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 11/28/22 05:23 PM

Great pics! Do you do much cat trapping in that country?

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 11/28/22 06:50 PM

Yes, bobcat trapping starts very soon. We had a couple of sets out to see how fur looks but no catches.

The whole ranch is ridges with singular trees, we don't have enough traps ,lol.

We took a 39 lb bobcat last year. Price looks better this year too on cats, according to FHA anyway.
Posted By: TEpnw

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 11/29/22 03:41 AM

That’s awesome! Make sure to update with some cat pics once you get going on them.

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 11/29/22 04:15 PM

Set some snare's out too Please!! I like Snare's!!

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 11/30/22 04:01 PM

We are not experienced in snares but trying to learn.
Hoping to get a few out next week.

The loss of our trapping mentor was a big blow to our beaver and snare education. He knew his stuff.
RIP Forrest.
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 11/30/22 07:40 PM

Very nice catches yall.

I really enjoyed your pics.

Keep em comin!
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 12/05/22 09:13 PM

What was the drag used in those photos ?

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 12/05/22 09:53 PM

Got those drags from Strained Chains Trapline Mod., Chris Morgan. They are sturdy and sharp.
The pic shows where the drag was anchored, the bush in the muddle, and he made it about 30 yds to the draw and rock that he got hung up on.
We like the drags quite a bit but only have limited use right now, more going out after Christmas.
About $10 each I think he charged.

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 01/23/23 04:41 PM

Finally an update.
Deep snow and drifts have us pulling some sets.
Got a couple of snares out and caught my 1str bobcat via snare.
Big thanks to Forrest, RIP sir, for the snares. He was our mentor here in Wyoming for trapping.

25 lb tom and he has nice spots.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 01/23/23 05:58 PM

Great pics. I always love seeing pics of Wyoming country.

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 01/23/23 07:44 PM

Way to Go!! Glad too see You have set out some snares. Snares are a Great tool to use when conditions are right. I have been wondering how your trapping season was going?
Thanks for the pictures. I like snare's also!!
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 01/23/23 10:07 PM

Very nice!!! Thanks for sharing! Love the cat!!

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 01/24/23 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mark McCary
Way to Go!! Glad too see You have set out some snares. Snares are a Great tool to use when conditions are right. I have been wondering how your trapping season was going?
Thanks for the pictures. I like snare's also!!

Had some deer go through the next morning and resetting a snare takes much less time than a trap and no chance of catching one either on a trail set like this.
We have some bobcat specific sized snares our mentor gave us he made before he passed and this is their first use. Pretty happy to have a catch.

We're going to take a little break and then re set in about a couple of weeks or so, when the snow settles a little more or maybe melts a bit.
We'll relocate most of our traps then.

It's been rough for us. Last week of deep snow has us needing a break.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 01/24/23 01:05 PM

Great thread. Keep pics coming

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 01/24/23 05:05 PM

Going to check and then spring traps in the morning, We'll reset in 2 weeks I think.
Looking for our other snares now, we put them in storage somewhere, lol.

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 01/26/23 12:11 AM

Pulled our sets today.

Husband had another miss at one cubby, different sized track so we're pretty sure diff. bobcat.

Had a cat walk by a set and down the creek to another cubby and make the fatal mistake.
Not a big cat but decent, belly looks to be a little cast but we'll see what is offered.
Female, but in this area we don't release them unless young, she had big paws and teeth look mature.
Caught her in a K9 extreme and it looks huge on her foot.

Second year in a row to catch at this cubby site.

Husband also ambushed a coyote on the way home.
Nice little break for us, until some snow melts. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DRF

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 01/26/23 12:31 AM

Neat pictures and great looking country there in Wyoming.
Posted By: MTbadgerdad

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/11/23 08:14 AM

Is that coyote super pale or is that snow on the fur? Congrats on a great season!

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/12/23 03:35 PM

Just pale, but had some snow on it.
We get the slivery ones mostly.

Was a short season for us with access limited due to snow.
Posted By: dixieland

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/20/23 02:28 AM

I thought trapping catches were suppose to show live animal in trap, unless water sets. Leave no doubt as to showing roadkill.

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/20/23 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by dixieland
I thought trapping catches were suppose to show live animal in trap, unless water sets. Leave no doubt as to showing roadkill.

Not sure what you're implying but I've posted the catches in traps and made clear the one coyote was an ambush with a rifle on the way home. You may pick up road kill but we do not and post it as trapping catches.
Can't get a pic of every animal in the trap alive.
If I posted as a trapping catch it was caught in a trap.

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/20/23 04:45 AM

Live coyote in a trap, look for the drag chain

[Linked Image]

Live coyote in a trap, look closely and you can see it.

[Linked Image]

Still alive bobcat in a trap, catch pole dispatch in progress

[Linked Image]

Dead bobcat in a snare because I have yet to find one that holds bobcats alive until I check them. Snare support visible in the pic.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ttzt

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/20/23 04:55 AM

wytex, in the future please only post videos of animals in traps so we can be sure that you are not using taxidermy mounts of roadkill.

Also, if you ever post any pictures of dead water trapped animals please include an autopsy report from a board certified vet showing that the animal was in fact trapped and not, you know, road kill.

And while you are at it, from now on, please only make sets where you can get an internationally recognizable landmark in the video or picture so we can be sure you are really in Wyoming. But make sure that none of the landmarks are roads so we don't mistakenly think that the animal was, you know, roadkill.

This will help prevent any confusion that these are truly Wyoming sets and catches. crazy

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/20/23 03:27 PM

Yeah, I'll make sure to follow all of that, lol.
Looked for dixieland's trapping pics, where are they?

Hope you had a good season ttzt, ours was iffy at best.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/20/23 03:48 PM

Great pics and thread.
Have you ever run into making a catch on drags and then a snowfall comes and covers the marks of the drag or are all yours “pre hooked”?

No I don’t have to deal with snow and have a couple traps out now with drags. Sorta nervous because I’ve never used them, but wanted a set in these spots and it’s about impossible to drive and pull an anchor in those spots unless I wait until a real good rain.

Looked up Dixie and he/she has never started a thread. But they did post a pic of a fox in a trap. That’s the only thing I’ve found. And I’ve never heard of picking up road kill to post pics of unless it’s a huge buck, then I wouldn’t claim it as my own unless my F150 took it out, lol.

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/20/23 04:27 PM

We do prehook most drags and yes snow can cover it's trail. Snow also can allow the drag to slide over it and leave very faint marks.
Had a bobcat hide in the willows on a drag that left virtually no marks, just very faint little skips on the surface of the snow.

We are liking the drags from Chris Morgan, Strained Chains . They seems to hook up well and are sharp.
Posted By: ttzt

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/20/23 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by wytex
Yeah, I'll make sure to follow all of that, lol.
Looked for dixieland's trapping pics, where are they?

Hope you had a good season ttzt, ours was iffy at best.

Same here, lots of snow made accessing most of my locations an adventure. We went to visit family for Christmas and I set off all my traps before we left and tucked them under brush or hung in trees intending to reset when we got back. Haven't been able to get to those locations since and I won't be able to for at least a week. Hope we get lots of grass out of it. Happy trapping

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/20/23 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by ttzt
wytex, in the future please only post videos of animals in traps so we can be sure that you are not using taxidermy mounts of roadkill.

Also, if you ever post any pictures of dead water trapped animals please include an autopsy report from a board certified vet showing that the animal was in fact trapped and not, you know, road kill.

And while you are at it, from now on, please only make sets where you can get an internationally recognizable landmark in the video or picture so we can be sure you are really in Wyoming. But make sure that none of the landmarks are roads so we don't mistakenly think that the animal was, you know, roadkill.

This will help prevent any confusion that these are truly Wyoming sets and catches. crazy

Originally Posted by ttzt

You forgot to tell him to keep making two trips to his traps. The first trip to dispatch the critter. The second trip to go back and get his phone, because he forgot to take a pic before he dispatched it.

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/20/23 11:24 PM

OK, here is some of my pics. Sorry if the don’t rotate right. OK, I remember now why I haven’t shown pics. I’m use to to all other forums being user friendly. That is, click on picture icon above, select from photo library, and done. I don’t know how to do this archaic posting. But if someone posts an easy link, I’ll post some of my trapping catches. And they’re all alive, in trap. No roadkill.

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/20/23 11:48 PM

Still trying to post.

Attached picture 0EAE8161-F16A-4D6B-8E36-26D94AA98B8E.jpeg

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/20/23 11:55 PM

Another

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/20/23 11:58 PM

Maybe

Attached picture 3C0648D7-43A8-4B48-8881-B65CBBB9C3DB.jpeg

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/21/23 12:01 AM

?

Attached picture 80147C99-7990-4771-ABE3-603AB80CD8EF.jpeg

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/21/23 12:02 AM

Turn your phone sideways, that fox is standing and alive
Posted By: Tony1967

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/21/23 12:16 AM

You’re a real ray of sunshine

Re: Wyoming sets and catches - 03/21/23 04:32 AM

I take all the pics and getting them while still alive sometimes is not feasible.
We run our line together, both setting and the spouse dispatches.

ttzt we have some buried under snow too. We dug out enough getting stuck this past winter, we'll let them uncover themselves.

Going to send our bobcats to FHA this year looks like - coyotes too, unless the FHA agent offers enough when we meet him.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums