Home

Alternatives to propylene glycol

Posted By: Flint Lock

Alternatives to propylene glycol - 12/27/22 10:28 PM

Stopped by my local hardware store to grab some propylene glycol today. The price has doubled since last year from $16.99 to $33.99 for a gallon and I won't pay that. Any alternatives that can be mixed with urine as an antifreeze?
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Alternatives to propylene glycol - 12/27/22 10:45 PM

Ok, are you ready to open your mind? Try oil dry ...dig your trap bed and fill it in with oil dry pebbles or cat litter and bed your trap. Stabilize and cover and then use your sifter and blend top cover with soil or natural covering.
Posted By: Yotegiter

Re: Alternatives to propylene glycol - 12/27/22 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Ok, are you ready to open your mind? Try oil dry ...dig your trap bed and fill it in with oil dry pebbles or cat litter and bed your trap. Stabilize and cover and then use your sifter and blend top cover with soil or natural covering.

I’m assuming the oil dry is oderless? Do you purchase local or order it. Interesting
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Alternatives to propylene glycol - 12/28/22 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by MChewk

What does that have to do with keeping urine from freezing, lol?
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Alternatives to propylene glycol - 12/28/22 01:55 AM

Glycerin at a rate of 4oz glycerin to a pint of urine
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Alternatives to propylene glycol - 12/28/22 01:01 PM

Carry it inside your coat.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Alternatives to propylene glycol - 12/28/22 01:44 PM

Guys, it was my answer to FREEZING dirt and trapping in the mud. Yes it is odorless but often times it comes from auto parts stores or Farm and Fleet stores and the packaging has odors.
I just put on the rubber gloves and transfer it to 5 gallon or smaller buckets and use it. It is basically a ground up clay mix. I started with generic odorless kitty litter and changed over to oil dry due to cost and availablity. IT IS NOT PERFECT as after a rain and freeze you have to replace but it has its place. A guy could mist the dirt pattern with a red fox or coyote urine if he had doubts about odors. Just thinking out of the box...
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Alternatives to propylene glycol - 12/28/22 10:24 PM

Glycerine can be used in place of glycol. Buy your glycerine or glycol from trapping supply co. ahead of season, when you attend conventions. I’ve always been able to buy reasonably priced products from the suppliers that attend. I know, that don’t help you right now, but planning is everything when your trapping!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums