Home

Cougars messing up bobcat sets

Posted By: beaverpeeler

Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/05/23 05:58 PM

I have a trapping friend that buys beaver carcasses from me. In the past week he's had cougars taking carcasses and/or killing and eating trapped bobcats before he gets there. He actually caught one a week or so ago and and had to drive back out to where there was cell phone reception so that Fish & Wildlife personnel would come and dart it so it could be released. Got hit in the rump with the dart, made a lunge and pulled out and ran off into the hinterland.

Many might not be so inclined to release a long-tail when they are creating so much havoc, but my buddy Dave was in law enforcement in his younger years and plays by the book.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/05/23 06:06 PM

Yeah they can be a real pain. Haven’t had to release one this season but came real close. I did lose some fur to lions though, that always sucks.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/05/23 09:21 PM

Next time tell him to poke it in the rump with a sharp stick and see if it will self release. smile I carry a five foot catch pole specifically for cougars and bears. I haven't had to release a bear yet, mainly because I do most of my trapping after they go to bed, but a cougar isn't bad with two people. They can be a bit of a rodeo on your own, mainly because they are a cat and you have to be really careful about choking down cats.

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/05/23 10:17 PM

He's a man just about 80 years old now so he doesn't feel like he wants to handle one on his own anymore. Apparently he has in the past.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/05/23 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
Next time tell him to poke it in the rump with a sharp stick and see if it will self release. smile I carry a five foot catch pole specifically for cougars and bears. I haven't had to release a bear yet, mainly because I do most of my trapping after they go to bed, but a cougar isn't bad with two people. They can be a bit of a rodeo on your own, mainly because they are a cat and you have to be really careful about choking down cats.

Whats the penalty on = Ops. I choked that Mt Lion to much and its dead?? Is it = VERY expensive fine ? Or is it = Hay. Be more careful next time type deal??

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/05/23 10:38 PM

I’m guessing that would depend on if the warden was in a good mood that day. Killing one in a trap here would be take by illegal means. It’s poaching a big game animal, loss of hunting rights, jail, fines, just depends on how far the warden and judge want to take it.

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/05/23 10:46 PM

But you released it ? It just never woke up. Or choked out too much? Your not a veterinarian. Accidents happen. I have had a few bobcats. I thought = might not come back from -=The Light! LoL! Cant amagine a. Mt Lion

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/05/23 11:04 PM

Like I said, probably depend on the warden. Killed is killed, it’d be up to the wardens discretion wether or not to charge you and then if charged up to the D.A. And judge wether to prosecute.

I wouldn’t want to be caught with a dead one that had a trap mark on it’s foot, that’s for sure.

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/05/23 11:19 PM

Bob. I think a good lawyer could help ya bet the rap ! Isnt the burden of proof on the state? Say = I released it and then it just died! Maybe had a heart attack? Besides. Who is the state going to believe me ? Or a dead mt lion?? LoL !!!! Like that tv show! LoL!!!

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/05/23 11:30 PM

Steeltraps you might be right, but I’d rather deal with a ticked off lion than a lawyer. At least I know what the lions intentions are

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/06/23 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
Steeltraps you might be right, but I’d rather deal with a ticked off lion than a lawyer. At least I know what the lions intentions are

Thats a good one Bob!!! I feel the same way. Plus I dont like doctors! LoL!!! Lawyers or Lions? Yep. Maybe better off with Mt Lion
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/06/23 02:13 AM

Guess hits hard to get that second S out of the SSS where y’all are. Nothing but rocks out there. Guess a pickax would work, lol.
Posted By: ChadDaniel

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/06/23 02:20 AM

Mountain Lions are a pain but a really cool animal. Every time I catch one I am both excited and bummed. Lol.

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/06/23 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Guess hits hard to get that second S out of the SSS where y’all are. Nothing but rocks out there. Guess a pickax would work, lol.

Pickaxe would help on some parts of my line. On others you better have a hammer drill with masonry bits and some blasting caps lol. However there’s usually an abandoned mine shaft somewhere nearby, the kind you drop a rock in and you don’t hear it hit bottom lol. Just don’t trip and fall in it yourself!

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/06/23 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

Pickaxe would help on some parts of my line. On others you better have a hammer drill with masonry bits and some blasting caps lol. However there’s usually an abandoned mine shaft somewhere nearby, the kind you drop a rock in and you don’t hear it hit bottom lol. Just don’t trip and fall in it yourself!

We have several old wells on the property. You can drop a rock in and hear it hit bottom, but it takes a minute, lol.

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/06/23 03:00 AM

How deep is the water table there?

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/06/23 03:03 AM

Have no clue. Ain’t no telling what’s fallen in over the years. We cover them with wood/tin and rocks and flag them.

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/06/23 03:13 AM

I imagine it’s shallower than ours. Just curious how deep you gotta go to get good water there. Here it’s minimum 250’, some places don’t find water till 350’+

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/06/23 03:15 AM

These wells were from WAY back in the day, lol. I think they said in the 30’s and 40’s.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/06/23 02:35 PM

I had a student who had that problem.
He cured it with a .22

JS
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/07/23 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I have a trapping friend that buys beaver carcasses from me. In the past week he's had cougars taking carcasses and/or killing and eating trapped bobcats before he gets there. He actually caught one a week or so ago and and had to drive back out to where there was cell phone reception so that Fish & Wildlife personnel would come and dart it so it could be released. Got hit in the rump with the dart, made a lunge and pulled out and ran off into the hinterland.

Many might not be so inclined to release a long-tail when they are creating so much havoc, but my buddy Dave was in law enforcement in his younger years and plays by the book.

How about let the warden release the cat that should make him happy but then you may not want him knowing where you are setting.

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/07/23 04:06 PM

That is pretty much what my friend does....plays it by the book. In this case ODFW personnel. It's a pain though because the whole day is wasted running around making it all happen.
Posted By: WBG

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/08/23 12:42 AM

Let them release it.

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/08/23 12:56 AM

^^^That's exactly what he does. But it takes all day to make it happen.
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/08/23 01:32 AM

I’d phone them with GPS corodence and go back the next day to reset

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/08/23 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Colpetzer
I’d phone them with GPS corodence and go back the next day to reset

No cell service up in that country.

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/08/23 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
That is pretty much what my friend does....plays it by the book. In this case ODFW personnel. It's a pain though because the whole day is wasted running around making it all happen.

You may not want to answer this but how would they ever find out if it went bye bye in that remote country ... Jon

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/08/23 03:43 PM

Nobody would know but him. I'm sure there are some that play it that way.

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/08/23 04:06 PM

Likely nobody would ever know. BUT there’s always the chance of getting caught. I’d sure hate to forfeit my hunting and fishing rights over it.

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/09/23 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
Likely nobody would ever know. BUT there’s always the chance of getting caught. I’d sure hate to forfeit my hunting and fishing rights over it.

I was just wandering because of the vastness of that country.

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/09/23 08:46 PM

Yeah, it is pretty big country. Spent 7 days hunting and camping on one mountain range once, saw exactly one other vehicle the entire week.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/09/23 08:51 PM

Mountain Lions commit Suicide every day!! This one would have!!!
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 02/12/23 05:53 PM

Epstein lions.
Posted By: humptulips

Re: Cougars messing up bobcat sets - 04/06/23 07:26 PM

I find myself sitting home sick and this makes me want to tell a story of a cougar I caught near Waldport and a State Policeman after my own heart.
I had caught this cougar in a MB650 and tried to call F&W with no luck. Finally called the State Police (They are F&W enforcement in OR) and they told me an officer would contact me. Soon he gave me a call and we agreed to go out the next morning to release the cat. We drive up in the woods to the cat and get out and are looking at it. I ask what did you bring to turn it loose with. He says "You have a gun don't you" which I obviously was carrying in my holster. I said yes and he said, "Why don't you shoot it first and then we will release it." which we did. We had it setting on his tailgate, and I quizzed him on what they were going to do with it, implying I would like to buy it if they were going to auction it off at some point. He said, "I don't know why you can't keep it."
We loaded it in my rig and off to Newport I went so the biologist could take samples. She had a tag sitting on the counter when I arrived. Unfortunately, before she completed her work Corvallis called and said I couldn't keep it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums