Home

Wire to offset jaws

Posted By: okietrapper2

Wire to offset jaws - 02/07/23 07:59 PM

I’m buying some standard jaw traps and need them offset to be legal in my state (1/8 inch). I want the flexibility to take them to another state where an offset is not needed. I’ve heard of using #9 wire or hog rings. Does anybody have any pictures or recommendations?
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Wire to offset jaws - 02/07/23 09:28 PM

A bead of weld on each side of one jaw. It can be ground off later
Posted By: Bob

Re: Wire to offset jaws - 02/07/23 10:20 PM

The wire works fine, I’ve used traps that way, but if you have access to a welder I’d go that route. Like he said it can easily be ground off later.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Wire to offset jaws - 02/08/23 01:52 AM

1/8 inch offset would still hold the smaller critters like coons, skunks and possums I'd think. The way coyotes work a trap on their foot I'd b afraid they'd get the wire off and that would b the day the GW would show up to check my traps.
Posted By: okietrapper2

Re: Wire to offset jaws - 02/08/23 02:00 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ll weld some bubbles and stay away from the wire.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Wire to offset jaws - 02/08/23 02:04 AM

I HATE offsets. Although, 1/8” isn’t much of an offset, lol.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Wire to offset jaws - 02/08/23 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be

I like offsets. Then again maybe that’s just cause I’ve been forced to use em. Anything #2 or bigger has to have a 3/16ths offset here
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Wire to offset jaws - 02/08/23 04:46 AM

I have some old Herters laying around with #9 wire offsets on them. I've never used them, but my dad's uncle used them to catch cats and coyotes. I would go with the welded bubbles on the jaws, they work well and are very little hassle to do if you have a welder.
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: Wire to offset jaws - 02/08/23 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be

Why do you hate them?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Wire to offset jaws - 02/09/23 12:24 AM

Mess up the feet, not that it matters really. My other issue is by chance something gets between the jaws just right I now have a missed critter. With closed jaws and something gets between the jaws I just have an offset trap. Yes, it has happened. I’m a target of opportunity trapper…coons, possums, Heaven forbid skunks, all pay. Something that small is getting out in the above scenario. That’s money!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums