Home

How do you set a catch circle?

Posted By: BTLowry

How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 01:26 AM

Had been seeing single coyotes on trail cam so had one trap set in front of camera, another trap 100yds or so south and a third 50 yards north.
Caught a coyote in front of camera

[Linked Image]

Next thing you know, there are 3 more checking it out

[Linked Image]

Then 4 more joined the group after a few hours

[Linked Image]

So now I have 7 more (minimum) to catch

For those that want to share

[*]What combination of sets and distance between when you first set up?
[*]What sets do you use on a catch circle after initial catch?
[*]How do you orient them (distance from edge, side(s), number, etc)?
[*]Gland, curiosity, food lure/bait or blind/no lure/bait?
[*]Any other tips/tricks?

For example
I caught coyote on T bone set
Reset trap in middle of catch circle as T bone set, added a flat set on the north edge (south wind predominant) with urine and gland lure

I also added another flat set by the trap 50yds north to double up there if possible
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 01:36 AM

I usually go with a deep step down a a BIG shot of bait. Give them something to go for with all the other scent there. Step down dirt hole doesn't like rain though. I've got to using the back foot of a coyote for flat sets. Chop it off about 6"" long poke a hole and bury it so just pad is showing, pack ground around it tight with hammer and a shot of urine on it. If you miss coyote they always carry foot away and I never find it which tells me it's a good attraction by itself.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 01:54 AM

That many coyotes reacting to one caught reminds me of domestic coyotes (stole that from Steeltraps)…when I see something like that with that many I’ll gang set that entire area with flat sets and a shot of urine. I have no idea if it would work on coyotes, but out of 8 sets 6 were filled with domestic coyotes. The entire pack in two nights. There was a pack of 7 and a pack of 6. When I left there was a pack of 1 and he ended up leaving searching for another pack I guess.
Posted By: sportsman94

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 02:51 AM

Seth, I bought some berkshires just for that sort of thing. Attach via wire and put it in the ground a couple inches. They seem to spend a lot more time trying to haul stuff off when it’s got some resistance

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 03:03 AM

A better anchoring method would be good
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 03:22 AM

This is NOT my invention but work in places where coyotes refuse to go in catch circle. First. I have a 2 gallon bucket in my truck. EVERY Time I catch a coyote and thier are chew up sticks or wood I put chewed up by coyotes wood in bucket to use later for backing. Ok. Here is something for = want go in catch circle coyotes. Plus WHY i use long chains on staked traps ? Ok. Got 30 inch of chain. IF im in a spot I know. I will catch coyote. Take quick length. Make chain 22 inch long pin up so you have= after a catch 8 inch to undo. That way = un clip quick length. Stretch out chain 8 inchs. You are OUT of catch circle. Use wood form bucket. As backing. Traps 8 inch outside catch circle. Do nothing. Add nothing

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 03:30 AM

BT. With that many coyotes it dont really matter. Start 7 to 10 yards down wind. And go to setting. My guess is = With competetion their is hunger. Key off that. That many coyotes they will work aggressively. So. Reset catch circle. And start setting down wind. Heck. I would set 1 up wind. What could it hurt? They might be coming that way any way. Flat Sets. A few turd sets. And a dirt hole or 2. In this case 7 coyotes or more i would set 12 traps. Why not ? Cant hurt. On location will matter lmore than = What Set?

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 12:45 PM

Appreciate the advice.

Not 100% sure but I think my trap on the downwind side picked up one this morning. Cell cam sent me a pic. Raining and dark so hard to tell if same trap in center of circle or the edge.

Will know for sure when I run traps this evening when I get home
Posted By: jalstat

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 01:26 PM

Great advice ST
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 03:51 PM

BTLowry
Thanks for posting those pics. That's intriguing that many showed up to the growling/fighting.

That's some Real Time Info! I'd be setting many more traps.

SteelTraps' idea to use coyote-chewed sticks is good. I have also took urine/scent-soaked dirt from center of catch circle and made additional sets in area....works well.
Posted By: Hern

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 10:15 PM

See what you are looking at.
Read what the pictures are showing you.

Your pictures- They are showing you places to make an extra set or two. Just outside catch circle. (see how many are on edge of circle)
See what you are looking at.
Neat pictures.

Appears, 3 and half hours later, they had funeral services for the family. Note- still on edge of catch circle.

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 11:10 PM

Most places that are hard trapped. Have a # of coyotes that = refuse to go into the catch circle. 3 seasons in West Texas sheep country And I can honestly say = Have never seen a track in catch circle. BUT I still set the trap back. WHY ? Because 35 years of trapping coyotes has taught me = Never say Never with coyotes

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 11:16 PM

Some places = Coyotes will come in catch circles. Some places no way. But they will toe around the catch circle. SO = if a man carries likes 1 dz = 12 inch chains and say 24 quick length. You could extend 12 inchs outside the catch circle. I think=== this would be a great idea. Dirt Hole. Flat Set. Or other. I fell 12 inch extensions would work. And even for a guy like me. On the road trapping. With Jobs from South Alabama to West Texas. A dz or 2 dz chains for extensions. Would be easy and take up a small space in truck

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by steeltraps
Some places = Coyotes will come in catch circles. Some places no way. But they will toe around the catch circle. SO = if a man carries likes 1 dz = 12 inch chains and say 24 quick length. You could extend 12 inchs outside the catch circle. I think=== this would be a great idea. Dirt Hole. Flat Set. Or other. I fell 12 inch extensions would work. And even for a guy like me. On the road trapping. With Jobs from South Alabama to West Texas. A dz or 2 dz chains for extensions. Would be easy and take up a small space in truck

This^^^ is a GREAT idea! I'm gonna rig all my Bridger 2s up with additional chain. I already use 3/16" quick links to attach to cable stake.

This one idea alone will be the death of several coyotes....without having to move trap or set another.

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/08/23 11:54 PM

SW it works well on catch circle shy coyotes. Doesnt take up much space. That cheaper = # 3 foreign chain from FNT is what I use. A = 3/16 quick length will go threw it. I use # 3 on my drag chains. So thats where I got the idea to try = cutting it 12 inchs

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/09/23 12:03 AM

Y’all are making me spend my savings. How about just sending a PM to folks so I can’t see it! Just placed an order to make me some drags…and yes with plenty of swivels, lol!!
But, I already do something similar. I don’t stake in the trap bed. Quit doing that after the second year of trying to get up cable. And now with chain I really don’t! I’ll drive an anchor about 6-8” away and stretch it over to the trap bed. Still have the main chain of the trap to bed under it, but as stated, after a catch I can move it. It still don’t be outside the catch circle, but it won’t be in the original spot. It works down here. One place catch circles are magnets, another place your better off pulling and moving enough that it looks like and 8 when you catch again. I always make two sets at each location for the wind changes. When both catch I’ll set dead center between the two.

I still say with coyotes acting like that I’d gang set a spot in anticipation of a catch. The most coyotes I’ve EVER got on camera is two.

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/09/23 12:47 AM

Hern that last picture 1 was caught and the other 7 were onlookers

steeltraps once again you provide a little gem of an idea with the chain extensions

Caught a female in the same trap (middle of catch circle) this morning

She moved the chunk I had for backing on the trap I set on edge of previous catch circle (I thought it was far enough outside) so I used the droppings she left, another chewed piece of wood and what was left of the T bone for the new backing.
I now have 4 feet to use like Yes Sir suggested.

I was a little concerned that I lost this one from a pull out
This is the last picture I got from camera at 0942

[Linked Image]

I was sure it had escaped but got a notification on the way home at 1642 that there was another picture
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/09/23 01:23 AM

I usually use the droppings that are always there as the backing/attractant and reset the trap, sometimes with lure, sometimes with nothing. I've set another trap on the edge of the catch circle some (not a lot) but seems I always catch in the circle or in a nearby set if I catch again, not in the one just outside the catch circle. That's just me, and likely influenced by the fact I don't do it often.
Caught an old female wolf yesterday (I think the alpha female) and the others were howling up on the hill while I was resetting. These are wolves that have been trapped and are leery of most lures (caught her in a natural pee post, added nothing but the trap). So I reset the trap she was in about a foot farther back from the tree they had been peeing on (in a natural flat spot for them to step). And picked up some of her droppings and a shovelful of yellow snow and piled it up as an attractant/backing. Then added two traps blind set in the trail the others had been padding back and forth on after she was caught, one each direction about 50-100 yards away. We'll see if they come back and check for her or not.

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/09/23 01:56 AM

With all the coyotes and the camera it will be interesting to follow along with what happens here. Thanks for sharing BT.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/09/23 01:44 PM

BT thanks for posting this, interesting discussion that we have all had before but the pictures make the difference. Had this foot hold out for about a week and never got the coyotes to break stride and come over from the centre of the field. Not sure what drew the fisher into the open field but after that the coyotes needed to check it out. They marked it every time they came through.

Fisher 23 Jan
[Linked Image]

Coyote leaving its calling card, January 24th
[Linked Image]

January 27th
[Linked Image]

Jan 28th
[Linked Image]

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/09/23 05:40 PM

Looks like a market for Fisher urine, lol.
Posted By: Wife

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/10/23 12:25 AM

I reset the catch circle with a Buried Bait Set or a Hay Set (scattered bait) AFTER I rake the outline so as not so obvious to the next customer. ..................................... the mike

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/10/23 01:24 AM

Added a "paw set" on the west side (top in picture) this evening
Buried paw with a squirt of urine only

Was going to put in a secound one back south in the 2 track but did not have my other trap on the 4 wheeler like I thought so I will make a couple more sets after lunch tomorrow when I get off work

Had another one nosing around last night but did not work the set (only 1 pic)

[Linked Image]

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/10/23 01:45 AM

You need a recording of a coyote in distress. That'll bring em back.

Or catch another coyote...
Posted By: stinky hands

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/10/23 04:47 AM

Coyote wisdom, ya'll blew the door off this one!!! I guess a trap anywhere around the circle is golden!!

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/11/23 01:17 PM

Guess this bunch is not trap circle shy
Traps at upper edge and right edge of catch circle, pulled trap in center because it was a muddy mess the other day after catching second coyote in same trap.

[Linked Image]

Wind out of the north which is right in picture
Trap there was bedded right outside edge, used piece of chewed wood for backing between catch circle and trap, dropping on one side of trap and chewed up T bone on other side (guarding levers). Couple drops of Jameson's Matrix marking scent and a little urine.
Coyote had to step over backing to get in trap from approach.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Trap on top side of catch circle with paw and urine
Will be around lunch before I get out to take care of coyote, maybe some friends will show up between now and then and get caught as well

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/11/23 02:06 PM

Good job BT. Im pulling up traps. Heading home. From South Texas. Driving bout 16 hrs. Will drive threw night. Hope to get to see my daughter. Try to go to church with her . Then back too work Monday

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/11/23 10:42 PM

Be safe traveling

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/12/23 12:32 AM

Good news is the rain is about out of SW Georgia so Alabama should be drying. I’ll have about 10hrs or so of no rain before tomorrow mornings check. Not sure about rain totals yet, I’ll look when I get to the shop in the morning. Got a feeling we’ll be using the winch on the Jeep and few times tomorrow unless we take a boat to quail hunt.
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/12/23 03:33 AM

Great trap & camera work! The trail cameras reveal allot of useful info and it's really cool to see the critters you are after.

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/12/23 01:20 PM

Did any other coyotes show up before you got there?

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/12/23 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Did any other coyotes show up before you got there?

Not that got caught on camera

Looked like a coyote sized print just off of pan at paw set but no catch yet.

Something set camera off twice last night but no coyote in image. 33 and a good frost here this morning.

Davexx1 the ones I have on sets that are set to take video for 20 sec are really informative

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/12/23 07:51 PM

I like following along with specific setups and see the outcome. The camera is a great bonus. I run a bunch of cameras and my experience it's not uncommon for them to miss some animals. Some cameras are a lot worse than others. I ran 4 reveals this year for deer they seemed pretty good on deer put haven't used them specifically on coyotes. That's were you really can see if they are missing to much. But I've also seen deer walk by cameras that when you check later that deer isn't on there.
Thanks for the updates. What reveal are u using? Is it the true no glow models or is it the model that emits a slight red glow? Mine emits the red glow but still doesn't seem to draw much attention from the incidental coyotes or cats that have wondered by.

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/13/23 12:39 PM

Yes sir I think it is the X, the cheaper one.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/13/23 01:24 PM

I watched video my friend at work of a coyote he caught was going crazy while the other one with it went about her business like he didn’t even exist it was pretty interesting
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/13/23 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by jalstat
I watched video my friend at work of a coyote he caught was going crazy while the other one with it went about her business like he didn’t even exist it was pretty interesting

The difference in reactions by the ones not trapped makes me wonder if it matters which coyote is in the trap. Maybe the alpha male of beta female causes one type of reaction where one farther down the list causes another.

I am with Hern, you have excellent pictures- if you figure out what they are telling you, you will become a better trapper.

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/23/23 03:34 AM

Well the "paw" (I made a set with a coyote paw on edge of catch circle) must have needed to age because it took 13 days but it did produce

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Makes 5 from same spot since Jan 1st

Hope I catch 5 more
Posted By: sportsman94

Re: How do you set a catch circle? - 02/23/23 03:42 AM

That’s a hot location! Good job
© 2024 Trapperman Forums