Home

— Badger Anchoring?

Posted By: Aix sponsa

— Badger Anchoring? - 02/23/23 06:40 PM

We don’t have badgers here, so I’m only asking out of curiosity….

In pictures I see how much badgers will dig when caught, and I couldn’t help but wonder if they actually dig up/loosen their anchor at times.

So…. How do YOU anchor your badger traps? Have you ever had problems with them digging up the trap anchor?
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/23/23 06:48 PM

We don't have them either and I have wondered the same thing laugh
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/23/23 06:53 PM

They usually dig at the end of the chain in a circle and mound the dirt on top of the anchor is my experience. Most badgers are caught in coyote sets with coyote setups. When I pinch a badger I'm glad I run short chains because it seems the more chain u have the more dirt they move.

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/23/23 06:56 PM

[Linked Image]
This one I was targeting for a land owner at a badger hole. He mostly tried digging back into hole until he ran out of chain. Probably about a 2 1/2 foot mount. Caught a coyote there a few weeks later and it leveled it back up for me. It sucks when u catch them in a field road.....
Posted By: ChadDaniel

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/23/23 10:37 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Catch a handful a year. If caught by the front foot they dig a big circle. If caught buy the back foot they dig a big mound. But for some reason they never dig at the stake. I just use an 18” wolf fang anchor and never had one ever come close to digging out.
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/23/23 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by ChadDaniel
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Catch a handful a year. If caught by the front foot they dig a big circle. If caught buy the back foot they dig a big mound. But for some reason they never dig at the stake. I just use an 18” wolf fang anchor and never had one ever come close to digging out.

Same here. I've actually had them dig under the disposable stake but their direction of pull is across (or below) ground level so they never get the stake out of the dirt. I've literally walked up and picked up the trap and have the stake come out of the ground using only one or two fingers but the badger never did anything except go round and round in his digging.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/25/23 12:00 AM

I've caught lots of badgers but have NEVER had them dig out the stake.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/25/23 12:53 AM

You catch enough of the %+{# things you’ll loose a trap eventually.

Long chains help.

I’ve dug more than a few out that had pulled the anchor/stake and continued to go 4-8 foot further down.

Miserable creatures.

Posted By: ChadDaniel

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/25/23 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Boone Liane
You catch enough of the %+{# things you’ll loose a trap eventually.

Long chains help.

I’ve dug more than a few out that had pulled the anchor/stake and continued to go 4-8 foot further down.

Miserable creatures.

I’ve never seen someone dislike them so much. LOL. I personally enjoy catching them. They are one of my best sellers.

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/25/23 02:49 AM

I catch about 2 a year. I think they are cool animals but after fixing their mess, skinning and fleshing them I usually hate them at that point. Skinned 2 nice one with claws on this year (never done that before), going to have to get about $200 a piece to make minimal wage. Lol
Posted By: LDW

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/25/23 02:57 AM

I catch 4-6 of those stinking things every year. They are a pain to skin and flesh, let alone the bomb crater that I have to fill in. I've never had one get away, but I'm sure it just a matter of time.

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/25/23 03:12 AM

I think my biggest badger day was like 18 or some ungodly amount.

Hate em. Prairie possum.

Wreck coyote sets, wreck coyote locations.

I catch a badger it’s WEEKS until that set will take a coyote if not months. And I’ve had whole locations go dead after a badger.

Miserable to skin, miserable to scrape. And than guys wanna buy em cheap! I don’t even bother with em anymore and I get some beautiful badger come Feb/March.

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/25/23 03:29 AM

And than, I had a badger complaint in some hay ground…..

Do you think I could catch a bloody badger in there?!?!?! Lol

Miserable beasts.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/25/23 04:17 AM

I anchor them the same as I would a coyote. The mound diggers or the ones that pull the dirt in are the problem. As they pull the dirt in the mound gets higher and they just pull up on the stake. 95% dig out and create a bomb crater. The other 5% are a problem sick
Posted By: LDW

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/25/23 03:57 PM

I agree with Boone. I don't think I've ever caught a coyote in a badger remake. If I do anything with them, it's sell them in the carcass. For no more than they are worth, I'm not going to all the work.

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/25/23 04:48 PM

I caught coyote in the remake of the catch pictured above but took at least 3 weeks

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/25/23 10:26 PM

We have to let them go here In WI.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/26/23 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by ChadDaniel
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Next time I need a well or pod dug I will buy a Badger and stake him out. It would be a lot cheaper than hiring a Dozer.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/26/23 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
We have to let them go here In WI.

Just because they are the State Animal. Too bad the Wisconsin Badgers can't make their line get that one passed.

Re: — Badger Anchoring? - 02/26/23 06:10 PM

Well I for one would be against It. It would just open up a huge can of worms.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums