Home

trap cleaning

Posted By: plainstrapping25

trap cleaning - 02/25/23 08:08 AM

needed to clean my traps after a long good season. Always power washed before. But wanted to know if better options. What does everyone do with there traps after they get home?
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: trap cleaning - 02/25/23 11:36 AM

Power washing has always worked for me.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: trap cleaning - 02/25/23 12:22 PM

Power wash here also.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: trap cleaning - 02/25/23 12:37 PM

I soak mine in an old kids plastic pool and stock tank with water first, then pressure wash them. They come out much cleaner with the pre soak.

Just my way..
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: trap cleaning - 02/25/23 01:00 PM

"Wasting time" boiling makes me feel bitter about the cooties in the critter blood spit and poonpee.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: trap cleaning - 02/25/23 05:57 PM

Wright Brothers, this is just for cleaning the traps after season to better hold them over until trap prep time in the fall once again. I still boil and use pot wax at that time yearly. Mid-season if needed, I just pressure wash and wax if I need some traps.

Always a good idea to get the crud and any (salt) corrosive materials off if any is on the traps.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: trap cleaning - 02/25/23 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Wright Brothers, this is just for cleaning the traps after season to better hold them over until trap prep time in the fall once again. I still boil and use pot wax at that time yearly. Mid-season if needed, I just pressure wash and wax if I need some traps.

Always a good idea to get the crud and any (salt) corrosive materials off if any is on the traps.

Same here. I usually just hose them off in buckets, let them soak a bit, hose them off again and toss them in big black tubs that have drain holes in the bottom. They are big black plastic tree pots. They stay there in the shed till I can boil them in the spring/summer.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: trap cleaning - 02/25/23 06:33 PM

I knew you were matriculas about your gear just from seeing it and talking to you before Bob.
Coming time for me to sell some. Glad I took care of them.

I know a guy that boils his tools twice a season. Highly doubt he will mention that on here. It works for him as he stacks fur.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: trap cleaning - 02/25/23 08:25 PM

Tumble in a cement mixer. About a dozen at a time for about 30 minutes. Have used coarse blasting grit but coarse sand works just as good.

After the tumble, they are waxed. Ready to go.

If you have the earth anchors attached to trap chain...clamp the anchor in trap's jaws.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: trap cleaning - 02/26/23 04:58 AM

Pressure Wash here. You can spray them with Oven Cleaner first. I don't but have heard some claim they come cleaner and rust better.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: trap cleaning - 02/26/23 07:40 AM

Just spray them down with a garden hose and use a brush if there are chunks on them that don't come off. And then hang them up. But I don't use salt or calcium chloride so I don't have to worry about that. They'll be boiled or painted later. Will probably sand blast some this year to take all the old paint and rust off and try powder coating them white to see if it holds up better than paint. All my nonpainted traps get dyed and waxed but I like white traps to set in the snow, they don't melt out like dark traps do.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: trap cleaning - 02/26/23 06:30 PM

Pressure wash, throw in a bucket/pool of vinegar for a day, rinse and let dry, dip in a bucket of Zeps. Shiny brand new looking traps again ready for the season.
Posted By: JesseA

Re: trap cleaning - 02/27/23 06:36 PM

Throw the anchor in between the jaws, wire together in half dozen bundles, then pressure wash and put away until ready to boil and wax. Putting them in bundles before pressure washing prevents chasing traps all over the driveway when hit with the pressure washer lol
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: trap cleaning - 02/27/23 09:36 PM

Self serve car wash. Hot soap followed by rinse. Then later in the summer prep them for fall.
Posted By: warrior

Re: trap cleaning - 02/28/23 12:24 AM

Lye soak
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: trap cleaning - 03/06/23 07:27 PM

Yup, bucket of water/white vinegar for a day and they clean right up. I soak brand new ones in a bucket with Dawn dish washing liquid.
Posted By: Len Dunham

Re: trap cleaning - 03/10/23 11:46 AM

Went to the car wash with mind.Came home went over with steal brush, checking for name tags, back to car wash.Let dry than wax they are ready for next season. It is amazeing how many tags get chew off 6 out 84 on mind.i
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: trap cleaning - 03/10/23 12:22 PM

Power wash most of the time. I FMJ my footholds so the coating rarely gets compromised unless a coon gets in it. If it needs stripped, lye or vinegar boil. Dont vinegar your powdercoated traps as that will strip the coating. Lye might too but never tried.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums