Home

Coyote Lures

Posted By: canebrake

Coyote Lures - 04/26/23 10:31 PM

For some off season discussion, what are some of your favorite commercial coyote lures? I've had good luck with Dobbin's, Caven's and Carmen's lures. Canine Force is one of my favorites for dirt holes.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Coyote Lures - 04/26/23 11:21 PM

Jamesons' Canine choice, Fox Hollows' GH II, Halseths' Musk Call 911 are ones that have worked well for me. There are others that are good too, but those are just the first 3 that popped in my head. I've tried a lot of different lures over the years, so I know what works well for my area.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Coyote Lures - 04/27/23 06:14 AM

Junes fox frenzy
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Coyote Lures - 04/27/23 01:43 PM

I like Dale Billingsley's Wolfers Choice & Fox River Call #1.
Posted By: RHuff

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/05/23 03:55 PM

Hoosier Trappers Supply Vixen Elixir along with their Top Dog Predator Bait. My favorite combo for many seasons.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/06/23 09:57 AM

A fairly new lure on the market- Ring Burner
By a member here, Todd Strohecker aka Coon Duke, owner of TStrapline
https://tstrapline.com/
Posted By: CountryCletus

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/21/23 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hern
A fairly new lure on the market- Ring Burner
By a member here, Todd Strohecker aka Coon Duke, owner of TStrapline
https://tstrapline.com/

This is my current "go to" lure! I ran several different baits and lures last year and Ring Burner was in the hole for 80% of my coyote catches
Posted By: Seldom

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/21/23 01:11 PM

O’Gorman’s
OLL-CC
Plenty Coyote
Missouri Breaks (if you step on this lure with either OLL-CC or Canine Call you can improve it somewhat over straight)
Good Day to Die

Halseth’s-
Musk Call 911

Schneider’s-
Moonshot

Dobbin’s-
Skunky Backbreaker

Weiser’s-
Tainted Love

Forget’s-
Cachottier

Carman’s-
Canine Call (if you can find a yellow Label)
Pros Choice (if you can find a yellow label)
Posted By: oppossum1

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/21/23 03:04 PM

Any canine lures of Hawbakers and Blackie's. And Caven's Yodel Dog.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/21/23 10:09 PM

I know and understand Canebrake asked for “lures” and I followed his request with my initial reply but I feel I need to add some commercial baits which have served me as “lures” for many years. There are several others that are “good” but the ones listed have proven outstanding in my area.

O’Gorman’s-
Coyote Creek Bait (if it’s ever available again)

Halseth’s (Beartoothtrpr)-
Horse Whisperer II Plus

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/21/23 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Seldom
O’Gorman’s
OLL-CC
Plenty Coyote
Missouri Breaks (if you step on this lure with either OLL-CC or Canine Call you can improve it somewhat over straight)
Good Day to Die

Halseth’s-
Musk Call 911

Schneider’s-
Moonshot

Dobbin’s-
Skunky Backbreaker

Weiser’s-
Tainted Love

Forget’s-
Cachottier

Carman’s-

Seldom, what is the difference in Carman's yellow labels?

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/21/23 10:48 PM

I ordered a bottle of Night Owl's coyote gland lure a few months ago. I've never tried any of his lures but I will this season.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/21/23 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by canebrake
O’Gorman’s
OLL-CC
Plenty Coyote
Good Day to Die

Halseth’s-
Musk Call 911

Schneider’s-
Moonshot

Dobbin’s-
Skunky Backbreaker

Weiser’s-
Tainted Love

Forget’s-
Cachottier

Carman’s-

Seldom, what is the difference in Carman's yellow labels?

Since I’ve tested lures for decades I always test new bottles of lure. First they have to pass the smell test and the “white lables” didn’t smell like the yellow. Something was different. So I took them to the field to test alongside the yellow labeled lures. It’s all recorded on my Youtube channel. That particular batch of white labeled 2019 was literally avoided by coyotes! Period!! Did I mention I don’t trust any scent manufacturer?? Whereas the yellow label (pre2019) was very attractive and they dug the dickins out of it. I called all over the US trying to find trapping suppliers who still had the yellow labeled Pros Choice & Canine Call on their shelves and bought what I could find! The old “Trust but Verify” still works for me.

As I was still trapping coyotes at the time I never gave names but it’s no holds barred now since I quit coyote!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/22/23 12:50 AM

When Seldom talks lures or bait I'd pay attention. He knows what he's talking about from watching the coyotes not only while trapping but testing and comparing. His videos on the subject are worth watching because your watching the coyotes reactions.
Posted By: Len Dunham

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/22/23 01:21 AM

Coyote creek made by R M LURES , G2 by FOX hOLLOW are good ones.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/22/23 01:27 AM

Since I’ve tested lures for decades I always test new bottles of lure. First they have to pass the smell test and the “white lables” didn’t smell like the yellow. Something was different. So I took them to the field to test alongside the yellow labeled lures. It’s all recorded on my Youtube channel. That particular batch of white labeled 2019 was literally avoided by coyotes! Period!! Did I mention I don’t trust any scent manufacturer?? Whereas the yellow label (pre2019) was very attractive and they dug the dickins out of it. I called all over the US trying to find trapping suppliers who still had the yellow labeled Pros Choice & Canine Call on their shelves and bought what I could find! The old “Trust but Verify” still works for me.

As I was still trapping coyotes at the time I never gave names but it’s no holds barred now since I quit coyote!

Interesting! Thanks.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/22/23 03:08 PM

Keg Creek for me. Had very good luck this season with his Marty's Iowa Thunder and Kick Arse Predator Bait. His SS and Eight Ball lures worked great for me.

I also tried a few new lures that did not do well for me.

I have used some of Todd's lures that Hern describes. His red fox gland lure is second to none. I also have used Ring Burner.

I don't do crazy numbers but I ended up catching 43 this past season in about 2 months of hobby trapping. I have definitely noticed increased success since using Keg Creek products.

One day I may try to catch a hundred to say I did, lol
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/22/23 07:46 PM

Seldom I’m curious, do you have a large population of coyotes? As in do you get pics/videos nightly or even several times a week? Or do you get a pic/video every couple of weeks if that soon? Also curious how long your lures sit before being discovered?
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/22/23 07:51 PM

I use name brand lures but find that what worked for me last year may not work this year. I use 2 main lures with one backup and if I get too many refusals, then I switch out.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 12:17 AM

The last couple of seasons one of my better sets has been to find a large grass clump that sticks out from the surrounding stuff and shove a wooden scent egg tucked tight against the front side of it and bed a trap in front. Lure the scent egg with a few drops of Mark Junes Wind Walker. I started making my own scent eggs and painting them white. Pretty quick set to put in and a bottle of Wind Walker goes a long way;

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 12:37 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
In [Linked Image]
So, since I have trapping on the brain this time of year, I thought I would post what I carry on the line with me, I always use Bobcat Urine if I am going to use urine at the set. I use the Lenons lures at post sets exclusively as they have always produced for me at these types sets. The Baits I interchange if I am going to have multiple sets at a location. I also liquify all of my lures like Fox Hollows GHII so that it will pour from a bottle. Another thing I do is when a bottle gets down just under halfway is to add an ounce of straight lure with an ounce of glycerin to refill the bottle except for the Lenons Natures Call which I use straight. This is something that one of my trapping mentors showed me when I was young to save me some money. I have just kept doing it over the years and some of my lures probably have several different years of the same lure in them. It may seem strange to some, but it works for me and everything fits in the tool bag easily. I have other lures and baits, but these are always with me on the line.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 12:38 AM

The last couple of seasons one of my better sets has been to find a large grass clump that sticks out from the surrounding stuff and shove a wooden scent egg tucked tight against the front side of it and bed a trap in front. Lure the scent egg with a few drops of Mark Junes Wind Walker. I started making my own scent eggs and painting them white. Pretty quick set to put in and a bottle of Wind Walker goes a long way;

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Seldom I’m curious, do you have a large population of coyotes? As in do you get pics/videos nightly or even several times a week? Or do you get a pic/video every couple of weeks if that soon? Also curious how long your lures sit before being discovered?

1., do you have a large population of coyotes? I do not have a large population of coyotes within the territory I trapped them. I had what I thought at the time,1998, that I did but I quickly knocked’em back. Easy-Peasy By 2010 I could see a serious and steady decrease as I continued to trap the same general area. I quit trapping coyotes in 2021 because I couldn’t make gas $$ going in and catching the few homies in a few nights and checking empty traps for then next dozen nights unless I went outside my territory and I had no desire to do that. It got to the point I was waiting 18-23 nights for a coyote to come back through after killing the homies.

2. As in do you get pics/videos nightly or even several times a week? Or do you get a pic/video every couple of weeks if that soon? I’ve tested scents since the early 70’s so I’ve learned that if I’m testing to see the attractiveness of a coyote scent, I need to be right on top of the coyotes during the months I’m testing March-August. I spend a great amount of time on private properties finding/locating coyote families inter-zones and I search out stall-out locations between frequented hunting areas during those months. The sole purpose of testing the attractiveness of a scent is to get as many coyotes in front of the scent as possible and in order to do that, I found I need to be right on top of of them! I set out cameras for 14 nights, some locations will only get me a few sightings and others, if I’m on top of a family unit, I may get as many as 5-6 sighting during the 14 nights. I have had test locations where I’ve had multiple sightings in a single night and could identify individual coyotes. Even videoed (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) carrying pups and months later watched those same batch of 5 pups try to work a test scent at the same time. It’s all on my Youtube channel.. Sightings should not be construed as set visits or working of the scent! If during the 14 nights I would see 3 coyotes come through 3 nights and I could identify them doesn’t mean I have 9 different coyotes on that property! LOL

3. curious how long your lures sit before being discovered? I paid little attention to how soon I saw a coyote, anywhere from the 1st night to maybe the 3rd, I expected a quick sighting because of the test location I’d chosen. It’s all about the coyote and it’s reaction to the test scent, I could give a crap less about how many times or when a coyote came through, I’m far more concerned about what the coyote’s reaction was to the scent I was testing. Everything else is meaningless! Though I couldn’t control the wind direction and the scent laying near the ground with the heavier nighttime air I learned to understand coyote body language whether they missed the scent of found it. I most often allowed the viewer of my testing videos to make their own conclusions of what they saw which was interesting.

Cameras in video mode are a super tool when testing scents compared to my early days of having to find suitable ground within a coyote’s inter-zone where I could read tangible sign of a scent’s attractiveness or lack there of.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 01:41 AM

1., do you have a large population of coyotes? I do not have a large population of coyotes within the territory I trapped them. I had what I thought at the time,1998, that I did but I quickly knocked’em back. Easy-Peasy By 2010 I could see a serious and steady decrease as I continued to trap the same general area. I quit trapping coyotes in 2021 because I couldn’t make gas $$ going in and catching the few homies in a few nights and checking empty traps for then next dozen nights unless I went outside my territory and I had no desire to do that. It got to the point I was waiting 18-23 nights for a coyote to come back through after killing the homies.

2. As in do you get pics/videos nightly or even several times a week? Or do you get a pic/video every couple of weeks if that soon? I’ve tested scents since the early 70’s so I’ve learned that if I’m testing to see the attractiveness of a coyote scent, I need to be right on top of the coyotes during the months I’m testing March-August. I spend a great amount of time on private properties finding/locating coyote families inter-zones and I search out stall-out locations between frequented hunting areas during those months. The sole purpose of testing the attractiveness of a scent is to get as many coyotes in front of the scent as possible and in order to do that, I found I need to be right on top of of them! I set out cameras for 14 nights, some locations will only get me a few sightings and others, if I’m on top of a family unit, I may get as many as 5-6 sighting during the 14 nights. I have had test locations where I’ve had multiple sightings in a single night and could identify individual coyotes. Even videoed (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) carrying pups and months later watched those same batch of 5 pups try to work a test scent at the same time. It’s all on my Youtube channel.. Sightings should not be construed as set visits or working of the scent! If during the 14 nights I would see 3 coyotes come through 3 nights and I could identify them doesn’t mean I have 9 different coyotes on that property! LOL

3. curious how long your lures sit before being discovered? I paid little attention to how soon I saw a coyote, anywhere from the 1st night to maybe the 3rd, I expected a quick sighting because of the test location I’d chosen. It’s all about the coyote and it’s reaction to the test scent, I could give a crap less about how many times or when a coyote came through, I’m far more concerned about what the coyote’s reaction was to the scent I was testing. Everything else is meaningless! Though I couldn’t control the wind direction and the scent laying near the ground with the heavier nighttime air I learned to understand coyote body language whether they missed the scent of found it. I most often allowed the viewer of my testing videos to make their own conclusions of what they saw which was interesting.

Cameras in video mode are a super tool when testing scents compared to my early days of having to find suitable ground within a coyote’s inter-zone where I could read tangible sign of a scent’s attractiveness or lack there of.

Thank you SIR! Great info! Truly appreciate it!!
Posted By: Wyoming Drifter

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 03:00 AM

Wayne Derrick's lures has helped me a bunch.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 10:13 AM

So many good one's out there,I've had very good response with Tainted Love,Bad Company Weiser's,Punisher Keg Creek,GH 2 Fox Hollow,C-50,Crow Creek Corr's,Old 3 Toes John G, Bounty Hunter,Voo Doo Fox Hollow and Pro's choice Carman's to name a few. Forgot to mention Lucero's,Lennon's ,Caven's and June's.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 12:36 PM

Has anyone else found a much increased success rate when only carrying a couple lures/baits? I used to carry around a whole bucket of lures and baits, noticed I do much better now that I have standardized my gear and my lures. I think we give coyotes a little too much credit thinking it takes 10 or 12 different lures in the bag to catch them. Heck, 75% of the time I'm not even using lure now

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 12:41 PM

With due respect I got to say Rick my experience is totally opposite than yours as far as so many good ones. And that's based off testing and watching coyotes reactions and comparing notes with others that do the same.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 01:36 PM

With all the testing done it seems y’all would put out what works and what doesn’t, lol. Then again what I’ve found is something may work in your area and not 20 miles away. Could be the difference in trappers and applications.
I’ve had success with NightTrain and so has my son in two different areas. Now that summer has come, we’ve had success with a totally different lure, Jameson’s Canines Choice.
Gusto up high or thrown in a dirt hole is always on the list.
We don’t live in a high coyote area. Or we run what we have off, lol.
We’re mainly set for coyotes and catch everything else. Occasionally set for Bobcats. And again, Lucero’s lures during the colder months and Jameson’s when it warms. We don’t have a “winter” here.
Posted By: ks wolfer

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 01:39 PM

Seldom---- wealth of info there. How do I find your you tube channel and what lures would you use If you were targeting coyotes again. I have had good results with Luceros lures and Carmen's canine call it was yellow label

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 01:52 PM

It'll be hard to get guys to tell you what doesn't work on an open forum. Nobody likes putting guys down unless they are wronged.
Posted By: ks wolfer

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 02:19 PM

That's right. Sorry didn't mean to put anyone in a bad spot. My apologies seems like my experience has been lure and or bait results are site,environment /climate ,past history in the area AND application method/volume etc. along with recipe involved.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 02:51 PM

Here's a few reasons I normally don't post what I find as very attractive to coyotes and what isn't.
First I don't want to run another maker down
Second I regular see lures/ baits that aren't that good being recommended and it's not my intent to offend anyone
Third I want people to take the initiative to test themselves, they will learn way more this way and have more confidence in there own findings
And fourth I'm moving towards selling my own products and don't want to come across as bias and trying to push my stuff by running down others

I've posted positive about lures or baits that caught coyotes for me when I first started that I thought were good but with more experience and testing giving me a better idea what a good reaction I couldn't recommend them anymore.
Good is a relative term based off ones opinion what good should be
I've compared notes with good trappers across the country about lures/baits and have sent my stuff all over the country for testing and as a whole I dont see a huge difference on the regional thing. Some areas coyotes are easy to catch and a lesser attraction will catch better but a better lure/bait will generally still out produce it. Same thing with time of year, spring and summer coyotes are generally less aggressive/less interested but a better attractor will still out perform others despite the season. In other words my finding is the best is still the best no matter what time of season it is.
These are general theories based on what I see and there are always a few exceptions when it comes to coyotes.

Ultimately one should always pay attention to what the coyotes tell you over what anyone says, they aren't bias and won't lie to you.

Remember stone tools "worked" for thousands of years but there's a difference between "works" and " works good".

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 03:20 PM

Guess I need to find a place with an abundance of coyotes and get to testing. Then again, they’d want to to trap for free, lol.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
Has anyone else found a much increased success rate when only carrying a couple lures/baits? I used to carry around a whole bucket of lures and baits, noticed I do much better now that I have standardized my gear and my lures. I think we give coyotes a little too much credit thinking it takes 10 or 12 different lures in the bag to catch them. Heck, 75% of the time I'm not even using lure now

I normally only carried 2-3 (usually 1was a test winner and now I had to see what it's actual catch-# of sets used was. Many only last the 1 season and was chitcanned. Direct competition!) call lures and 2 baits but listed lures that performed at a very high level repeatily! I did not list any runners-ups and certainly didn't list the ones that proved worthless for me in my area of which I see a handful of those listed by others. More power to them I say!

Lures or baits that I test and exibit the reaction I'm looking for will make it to the line but they have to compete with 2 others inorder to stay. The ratio of number of sets used at compared to the number of catches is all that mattered to me. All of my best lures would show anywhere from a 1:1.2 up to a 1:1.8 ratio which was a borderline attractive lure so those lures would be removed for use.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ks wolfer
Seldom---- wealth of info there. How do I find your you tube channel and what lures would you use If you were targeting coyotes again. I have had good results with Luceros lures and Carmen's canine call it was yellow label

Just type SeldomFales in Youtube and you'll find it.
I listed the very best lures and baits I've used. Something I would never do when I was trapping coyote. I'm trapping beaver now so I'm passing my experience and information on hoping I can help some folks who are having difficulty.

Luceros book is a very good read and in it you'll find his version of my Disco Dirthole Set and I will tell you he's an observer & thinker!

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
It'll be hard to get guys to tell you what doesn't work on an open forum. Nobody likes putting guys down unless they are wronged.

I pulled my punches of poor results in my videos because what my viewers were seeing was in Central Michigan not in Grand Forks ND!

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Here's a few reasons I normally don't post what I find as very attractive to coyotes and what isn't.
First I don't want to run another maker down
Second I regular see lures/ baits that aren't that good being recommended and it's not my intent to offend anyone
Third I want people to take the initiative to test themselves, they will learn way more this way and have more confidence in there own findings
And fourth I'm moving towards selling my own products and don't want to come across as bias and trying to push my stuff by running down others

I've posted positive about lures or baits that caught coyotes for me when I first started that I thought were good but with more experience and testing giving me a better idea what a good reaction I couldn't recommend them anymore.
Good is a relative term based off ones opinion what good should be
I've compared notes with good trappers across the country about lures/baits and have sent my stuff all over the country for testing and as a whole I dont see a huge difference on the regional thing. Some areas coyotes are easy to catch and a lesser attraction will catch better but a better lure/bait will generally still out produce it. Same thing with time of year, spring and summer coyotes are generally less aggressive/less interested but a better attractor will still out perform others despite the season. In other words my finding is the best is still the best no matter what time of season it is.
These are general theories based on what I see and there are always a few exceptions when it comes to coyotes.

Ultimately one should always pay attention to what the coyotes tell you over what anyone says, they aren't bias and won't lie to you.

Remember stone tools "worked" for thousands of years but there's a difference between "works" and " works good".

GREAT reply!!!

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 04:08 PM

Guess I need to find a place with an abundance of coyotes and get to testing. Then again, they’d want to to trap for free, lol.

Becareful Wanna Be, testing scents is very additive but expensive. Which is another reason why folks can be tight-lipped. It's expensive testing a couple handful of lures and /or baits every year, gaining permission to be on propertoes to test (many refuse but allow me to trap becaise my testing video might show a big buck), cost of cameras & batteries, and the amount of time used, all put together have a value to the individual doing it.
Posted By: HoosierTrapper07

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ks wolfer

Just type SeldomFales in Youtube and you'll find it.
I listed the very best lures and baits I've used. Something I would never do when I was trapping coyote. I'm trapping beaver now so I'm passing my experience and information on hoping I can help some folks who are having difficulty.

Luceros book is a very good read and in it you'll find his version of my Disco Dirthole Set and I will tell you he's an observer & thinker!

Seldom,

Do your YouTube videos explain how you go about doing your tests? That's where I'm struggling. Are you doing mock sets or just smearing lure somewhere? Just 1 lure or multiple in the area to see if animals prefer one over the other?

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 05:34 PM

I explained my process in several videos but I can’t remember if I did in the majority. Here is my testing process- Once you’ve decided on a test location I make the test site itself by drilling a 1” diameter hole 8” deep straight down and I don’t remove any dirt, just down & out. I use a dinner knife as the applicator and stick close to 3/4 of a tsp down the hole as far as the knife will reach.. I do the same thing with baits except I use about 1/2 Tb down the hole.[/quote]

I’ve found that it’s extremely important not to make any changes to whatever your process is, you want all aspects of each test as identical as possible. The reduction of variables is of most importance! I’m not making a trap set, I’m testing the attractiveness of a scent so I don’t want ANY VISUAL variables that can & will skew the results. I don’t brush out my tracks, I choose a site for the hole, walk directly to it, do my thing, and walk away which does not mean that I necessarily walk by, that has to do with the direction I’m going to next. I don’t wear special footwear but I do use gloves.

I have several times tested as many as 3 lures at one location and made the holes about 10’ apart.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 05:41 PM

I explained my process in several videos but I can’t remember if I did in the majority. Here is my testing process- Once you’ve decided on a test location I make the test site itself by drilling a 1” diameter hole 8” deep straight down and I don’t remove any dirt, just down & out. I use a dinner knife as the applicator and stick close to 3/4 of a tsp down the hole as far as the knife will reach.. I do the same thing with baits except I use about 1/2 Tb down the hole.

I’ve found that it’s extremely important not to make any changes to whatever your process is, you want all aspects of each test as identical as possible. The reduction of variables is of most importance! I’m not making a trap set, I’m testing the attractiveness of a scent so I don’t want ANY VISUAL variables that can & will skew the results. I don’t brush out my tracks, I choose a site for the hole, walk directly to it, do my thing, and walk away which does not mean that I necessarily walk by, that has to do with the direction I’m going to next. I don’t wear special footwear but I do use gloves.

I have several times tested as many as 3 lures at one location and made the holes about 10’ apart.

Thank you very much.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 08:01 PM

To comment on yes sir,I don't use all these lures in the same year.It's what the coyotes like here in northern Mn,each year I normally run 6-8 lures and don't use year after year.I believe you can burn out a good lure using it too often,that's my opinion ,just like I think biden is the devil him self and wish him all that he deserves burn in h--- you worthless @#$$@#$#%.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 08:09 PM

O'Gorman's lures always did well for me here. All the other farm boys used Hawbaker's because their dad's did. I think the coyotes here never smelled O'Gorman's until I used it so I did real well with it. LDC, Plenty Coyotes, Big Horns Medicine- they really dig for this one.
I have been trying some from Wayne Derrick the last few years. G-Man and 1080. I tried 1080 on some pipe dream sets and it worked well for that. I asked Wayne what it smelled like '' Dead Stuff'' was his answer. It does.
Carman Triple Threat is an awesome late coon lure for dirtholes.
June's Fox Frenzy works well here for Fox and Coyotes.
Ed Schnieder X-Factor great lure too

I have not have very many that do not work but after a couple years it pays to switch. Don't tell the others guys what you are switching to either. I find there is a lack of interest if I stick to the same lure year after year. It also pays to use a lure holder and take your lure away at the end of the season so they aren't smelling it all next spring. I used to use those old metal band aid boxes with holes poked in the lid. Now I use a small jelly jar or Altiod mint box. This way it doesn't get all over your set. And it keeps the smell where you want it. When I leave the area I take this with me the best I can. I don't do this with gland lure- only things like Big Horns Medicine or Triple Threat.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 09:49 PM

yes sir that's great if you have good lure's ,your not allowd to promote your self on here.I hope it works out for you,but rules are rules.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 10:35 PM

Rick since your in a helpful mood could you point what I said that you think is breaking any rules. Im pretty simple but I dont see me saying I've sent lure out for testing or saying I may start selling lures as breaking the rules. Heck Bob post pics of his products regularly and Paul talks about his business. I see it mostly in same light as my posts, just some information and background to help others. If it's mostly just cause I disagreed with you or you don't like me just pm me. I'm a big boy I can handle it.

Is there a opening for a moderator position I missed.

I'd even pm u my phone number if you want to discuss and compare our findings. I love talking coyotes and lures and baits. Maybe coordinate identical tests at the same time and compare notes?

Paul if u feel the same way as Rick just pm

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/23/23 11:45 PM

Yes sir, when you decide to sell, shoot me a PM. I’m narrowing my selection down yearly. I used to carry a bag full, now I’m down to the lures that work.
Posted By: Slipknot

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/24/23 12:14 AM

Yes sir, when you decide to sell, shoot me a PM. I’m narrowing my selection down yearly. I used to carry a bag full, now I’m down to the lures that work.

WB ,I am with you. I am willing to try some out on in my area.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/24/23 12:24 AM

You two fellas would be making a good choice and sound investment IMHO!

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/24/23 12:32 AM

@Yes sir and @Seldom when you're running cameras, what models are you running? I have 2 Browning BTC-8A that I like, but they're about impossible to find.

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/24/23 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by HoosierTrapper07
@Yes sir and @Seldom when you're running cameras, what models are you running? I have 2 Browning BTC-8A that I like, but they're about impossible to find.

That is exactly the camera I ran!

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/24/23 03:03 AM

[Linked Image]
I believe it's a newer version than what u guys have. I got 4 and was pretty happy with them but still felt they were missing some of the coyotes. This late winter I hung one over some gland stuff I was testing and by the sign, which was stuff I should have seen on camera such as digging and kick backs,I felt like it missed more than half the action. Which gets me frustrated pretty easy. I've seen them miss deer once in awhile while I'm on the stand. Haven't determined if it just one of the cameras or all of them. I need to pay closer attention to which one I'm using and where.

I'll say I still do 90% of my testing off camera for several reasons. Shear number of test sets and convenience are the biggest two. Everything down a dirthole and I judge it by the amount of digging I get. Enough sets and I feel comfortable in my interpretation of their reaction and probably 90% of my testing is comparative testing side by side so I'm just seeing which is better.
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/24/23 01:21 PM

When it come to lures for yotes cavens gusto is my go to

Re: Coyote Lures - 06/24/23 03:38 PM

I love the info in this post. Mainly how guys are testing I find that really interesting, I do not have a high population in my area and catching 25-30 in a season is what I consider a really good season. I get to do some out of state trapping this year for about 10 days in Kentucky on a hunting lease and am really excited to see if I can be successful in another state using my same sets and lures. I really enjoy that everyone has their own findings to add based on what they see in their testing.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums