Home

Beaver retriever

Posted By: Tony1967

Beaver retriever - 11/16/23 12:28 PM

So I finally managed to catch a beaver in a neighbors pond that’s been destroying his trees. Problem is it broke off my tie wire and is in deep water somewhere. I stupidly tried using one of my drags to try and dredge the bottom, but of course drags are made for one thing so now that is stuck in the pond bottom.
What do you guys use to do a retrieval from deep water?
Posted By: k snow

Re: Beaver retriever - 11/16/23 12:29 PM

How deep? Maybe try a potato rake? Or tie a prong on a long pole? Good luck.
Posted By: IDBeaver

Re: Beaver retriever - 11/16/23 03:18 PM

Try a duck decoy retrieval pole. The extend pretty long and have a hook on the end.
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: Beaver retriever - 11/16/23 03:31 PM

Magnet?
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Beaver retriever - 11/16/23 05:36 PM

How deep? Last week I had to go for a swim in my regular work clothes and boots to retrieve a beaver that wrapped my drowner chain around a big log that I didn't know was there.

Re: Beaver retriever - 11/16/23 06:02 PM

Don’t know the depth. I take two steps off the shaker and it’s at the top of my hip boots. Going to try a pool cleaning pole with a hook at the end next. I sure learned my lesson about tying off properly……
Posted By: trappinia

Re: Beaver retriever - 11/17/23 12:37 AM

Like IDbeaver said ,I have one that extends 18 feet.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Beaver retriever - 11/17/23 02:37 PM

Pike pole-he will be in the deepest spot.

Re: Beaver retriever - 11/17/23 07:00 PM

I’ve tried a few things with no luck unfortunately…… May have to go swimming next summer to retrieve my trap
Posted By: IDBeaver

Re: Beaver retriever - 11/18/23 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by trappinia
Like IDbeaver said ,I have one that extends 18 feet.

Sounds about the length of mine. Usually just dragging the hook around I can find stuff that has gone to really deep water. Have used and job site magnet tied to a rope to retrieve traps that are out of sight and deep due to water levels shooting up in the river after a hard rain or snow melt.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Beaver retriever - 11/20/23 04:38 AM

He will eventually swell up and float. If you can’t hook him, you kinda SOL untill decay starts. I got froze out on the river one year, and ended up walking the ice pulling a sled. Had a beaver in just about every trap, and with the snow and ice, I had problems locating all the traps. This was the first of Feb. Went fishing down the same stretch in Apr, and found four more that I missed, floating like an inner tube, swelled up about the size of a cooler!

Good luck, it sucks when things like that happen!

Re: Beaver retriever - 11/20/23 11:36 AM

Thanks everyone, yes I will keep an eye out for a floater I guess.
Posted By: 2poor

Re: Beaver retriever - 11/24/23 12:50 PM

Wire is a very poor trap anchor.

Re: Beaver retriever - 11/24/23 04:32 PM

Noted
Posted By: wytex

Re: Beaver retriever - 11/24/23 04:40 PM

Heavy fishing lure with treble hooks and heavy braided line.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums