Home

body grip boxes

Posted By: scheide

body grip boxes - 02/11/24 12:13 AM

What is the prefered trigger? Pans or just normal position?
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: body grip boxes - 02/11/24 12:52 AM

What's your target animal? I prefer the circle triggers for coons. They work well in boxes.
Posted By: scheide

Re: body grip boxes - 02/11/24 12:52 AM

mainly skunks
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: body grip boxes - 02/11/24 01:11 AM

I use 120's with just a regular V
Almost always gets them right behind the ears
If they move at all it is usually just a couple inches
Skunks aren't trigger shy [Linked Image]
]
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: body grip boxes - 02/11/24 01:46 AM

My fisher boxes I have the triggers at the bottom with one bent at 90 degrees and the other is kept straight. The trigger is also moved to one side or the other a bit also.
Posted By: Spike369

Re: body grip boxes - 02/11/24 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by scheide
mainly skunks

A 220 works perfect. I got two in two days. No spray and no trying to jab them to make them sleep.

Attached picture 20240209_084114~2.jpg
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: body grip boxes - 02/11/24 03:08 AM

My fisher boxes now have all the triggers on the bottom-centered-slight V shape-& about an inch up the wires, are bent slightly toward the back

In PA the trigger has to be 7" from the opening of the box
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: body grip boxes - 02/11/24 06:11 PM

I prefer a pan trigger trap set set an appropriate distance from the bait so the target animal is standing on the pan or trips the trigger with its chin while working the bait. For marten and fisher this distance is 4-5 inches. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wife

Re: body grip boxes - 02/12/24 01:36 PM

Terry, Skunks are clumsy compared to feral cats, coons, mink etc.,. I caught quite a few in MN in the 80's and sold the essence to O'Gorman in 120 size BG's but never could find a trap that put them "lights out" without much smell release. If I wanted the essence AND the fur, in today's time frame, I would still use the 120 size but it would be a Belisle or the Canadian style traps with extra power. Maybe the Magnums would work for a quicker kill but I have no experience with them. Plus your boxes should be shallow for the head/neck strike. I settled on a 4-5'" depth so the skunk triggered (my wires ON THE BOTTOM) the trap with his chin or jaw on the bait and DID NOT HAVE TO USE HIS FEET to trigger it. That's my take as controversial as it may sound but it worked for me. Went through a lot of trials trying to position that head and this what I settled on. ........................ the mike
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: body grip boxes - 02/12/24 06:31 PM

No matter wire or pan triggers, the key to consistent humane catches is to set the trap close to the bait so the animal is stable at the trap when it fires it, not traveling thru the trap to get to the bait. I only prefer the pan trigger as I believe some animals shy away from wire triggers directly in their face.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: body grip boxes - 02/13/24 04:27 AM

My entire experience with skunks is two in marten traps during a warm spell. So take it for what it is worth, but both of those were in Bridger 120s, which are a magnum style and very powerful little traps (a bit of a pain to set, you will read lots of complaints about them) neither one sprayed.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: body grip boxes - 02/13/24 08:54 AM

I use 120 vics and don't have a problem with them spraying
© 2024 Trapperman Forums