Home

Beaver pelt weight

Posted By: The Beav

Beaver pelt weight - 02/20/24 07:40 PM

Since I have never sold any beaver where the buyer weighed the hides how much does a average beaver hide weigh? Lets say a 50 pounder.
Posted By: Foxlaketrapper

Re: Beaver pelt weight - 02/20/24 09:47 PM

Depends on time of year. Here in South Dakota good prime beaver will weigh between 2.5 to 2.75 lbs. That is under ice January and February beaver. Almost all my beaver are sold by the lb. Only have to put 16 to 20 nails on board. Buyer doesn't care if they're a perfect oval.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Beaver pelt weight - 02/20/24 09:57 PM

Leave lots of thick meat on them if you are selling by the pound.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Beaver pelt weight - 02/20/24 10:27 PM

we just had our district fur sale a few weeks ago. The one buyer was paying $18.00 #. The one fella had a few dried put-up beaver on the scale. Only weighed 3+#. I didn't really see the sizes.
Posted By: Rhode Dog

Re: Beaver pelt weight - 02/21/24 03:53 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Beaver pelt weight - 02/21/24 03:54 AM

Typically, if you have an average run of our beaver, they will average 1.5 to 1.75 lbs each. That’s cubs, 2 yr olds, and on up. You’ll have bigguns weighing pushing 3 lbs, and cubs weighing 1/2 a lb. That’s my experience here on Missouri beaver.
Posted By: Alex Lane

Re: Beaver pelt weight - 02/21/24 05:22 AM

I just sold some couple year old ones a few weeks ago and 14 averaged out to 1.42lbs. I had a couple mice damaged ones in there that would have been a little light.

Just starting to stretch this years and am watching to see how they do, but I’m watching one in particular. It was 58lbs dead weight, 10ish pounds skinned, 4 pounds scraped and going on the board, and I’ll know dry weight in a few days.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Beaver pelt weight - 02/21/24 05:58 AM

I think Don Wolf's numbers are about right.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Beaver pelt weight - 02/21/24 03:29 PM

Thanks for the Info.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Beaver pelt weight - 02/21/24 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by claycreech
Typically, if you have an average run of our beaver, they will average 1.5 to 1.75 lbs each. That’s cubs, 2 yr olds, and on up. You’ll have bigguns weighing pushing 3 lbs, and cubs weighing 1/2 a lb. That’s my experience here on Missouri beaver.

Depends on what the percentage of kits are in your catch. I average less than 10% kits. I'm pretty certain those that focus on colony beaver have more kits in there.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Beaver pelt weight - 02/22/24 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Originally Posted by claycreech

Depends on what the percentage of kits are in your catch. I average less than 10% kits. I'm pretty certain those that focus on colony beaver have more kits in there.

I certainly have more than 10 percent cubs, and a much higher percentage than that of 2 year olds, but I’m doing nuisance work exclusively. When ya gotta get them all, ya end up with them all lol.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Beaver pelt weight - 02/24/24 11:34 PM

I weighed my biggest, 57lbs was 2.74lbs that's with the nose and lips trimmed.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums