Home

Couple victors.

Posted By: Sterling133

Couple victors. - 09/20/14 09:05 PM

I have a few victors and any info would be appreciated.

The 1 1/2 has 28,07 on the pan,this is a date correct?
I don't know anything about the 91

Thanks and god bless!
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Couple victors. - 09/21/14 01:04 AM

Yes, that is a date. Probably has May in front of the 28, 07. May 28, 1907 is not the date the trap was made but rather is the patent date of a feature on the trap. In this case, the feature is the "humped cross".

Re: Couple victors. - 09/21/14 01:13 AM

Thanks for the info wissmiss!

Re: Couple victors. - 09/22/14 10:13 PM

This may sound like a dumb question but what exactly is a humped cross frame trap compared to a modern frame?

Thanks!

Re: Couple victors. - 09/23/14 12:30 AM

Humped cross is a rather simple concept. Prior to the humped cross, most pan attachments were post pans, which were more expensive to produce.

Look at the trap in the first picture. The cross refers to the cross piece. The cross piece is perpendicular to the bottom of the trap. The cross piece holds the pan and the dog.

You notice that the cross piece is not flat. There is a bump where the pan is attached. That is the "hump". The pan simply clamps on to the hump and you are ready to go. Quick and easy.

If you look at old, original newhouse, you will see that the cross piece is flat and the pan attachment is more complex.

You would have to look at modern traps to see what kind of cross they have.
Posted By: DiggerDale

Re: Couple victors. - 09/23/14 12:34 AM

Not a dumb question. Everybodys been there. The cross is the part that attaches to the Base and holds the pan and trigger dog. Instead of adding an extra part to hold the pan they just bent a "hump" in the cross. I think most modern longspring traps still use that design.
Posted By: Ol' Smoke

Re: Couple victors. - 09/23/14 01:23 AM

According to Gerstell the hump was started in 1908.

Re: Couple victors. - 09/23/14 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Ol' Smoke
According to Gerstell the hump was started in 1908.

Makes perfect sense, with the patent being issued in 1907. smile

Re: Couple victors. - 09/23/14 03:13 AM

Thank you all for the info,I really appreciate it.I've been scrubbing on the 91 with soap and water and it's coming along nicely,I may post a pic tomorrow.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums