Home

Union hardware #2 dls

Posted By: Tim H.

Union hardware #2 dls - 05/29/16 12:25 AM

Hi everyone,
I picked up a union hardware #2 dls for $7 at a flea market a while back. I don't know much about old traps, but it seems to be in good condition except that the dog is missing. Any ideas what it's worth?
Thanks,
Tim
Posted By: cascade

Re: Union hardware #2 dls - 05/29/16 05:41 PM

Hi Tim, I don't know much about union hardware traps. So I looked it up in The Trap Collectors Guide. According to the guide you've done very well. $250.00 for good to $350.00 for excellent. However since your trap does not have the dog on it. The value most likely will be significantly less.

Re: Union hardware #2 dls - 05/29/16 08:28 PM

$250! When I was picking through the pile of traps I bought it from, it stood out from the rest, so I bought it thinking it might be worth $30, tops. How much is "significantly less?" $100? I appreciate the help!
Tim
Posted By: trapper48

Re: Union hardware #2 dls - 05/29/16 11:32 PM

Tim,
Condition means a lot when it comes to old traps, also if it has all of its original parts, if you could post a few pictures of it, it would help in determining value. For example, does it have its original and complete chain, does it have both springs, are the jaws and/or base bent or broken? Not trying to cut it down, but things like that do affect the value, but for the $7.00 you paid for it, you didn't get hurt.

Re: Union hardware #2 dls - 05/29/16 11:46 PM

It's got the original chain, it's not pitted with rust, and both springs are intact. Basically, it's like a new trap with no dog and a coat of rust. I'd post pictures, but it's in nc and I'm in Ecuador. I'll try to get my brother to send me some pics.
Thanks,
Tim

Re: Union hardware #2 dls - 05/30/16 12:33 AM

I forgot to mention, it looks like somebody either gave it a light wire brushing or it's been really well kept for the last few decades. When I mentioned the coat of rust, I forgot to add that it was a lot less rusty than the other traps in the pile. Would that improve the value, or is a coat of rust considered "vintage" and more sought after? If so, I can just leave it in the yard for a few weeks. wink
Posted By: 2 TRAPS

Re: Union hardware #2 dls - 05/30/16 03:21 PM

Do not leave in yard. Keep inside

Re: Union hardware #2 dls - 05/30/16 04:46 PM

I was just kidding anyhow. So, the "wire-brushed" look isn't an issue?

Re: Union hardware #2 dls - 08/06/16 02:09 AM

I finally figured out how to post pics from a phone. Here it is:

Posted By: Ol' Smoke

Re: Union hardware #2 dls - 08/06/16 05:38 PM

Nice trap. The chain is unique. You done good. grin
Posted By: 2 TRAPS

Re: Union hardware #2 dls - 08/09/16 09:49 PM

That's really nice.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums