Home

Help I.D. Old Trap with Cool Repair - Blacksmith

Posted By: Antiques850

Help I.D. Old Trap with Cool Repair - Blacksmith - 06/14/20 11:03 PM

was able to snag this one up, but no makers mark. It is definitely a blacksmith special as it is actually pretty crude. Now if it was one of the OLD OLD ones, that would be cool. I'm not super versed in trapping, but antiques i'm there. The chain looks forge welded. It has a what I think is a really cool repair on one of the jaws. Back then you didn't just buy another, you fixed what you had. Anymore info about age, place of manufacturer, and anything would be great. By the way, I think the repair gives it some awesome character. Thanks for any help.

Attached picture IMG_2314.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2315.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2317.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2318.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2324.JPG
Posted By: snakecollector

Re: Help I.D. Old Trap with Cool Repair - Blacksmith - 06/15/20 06:35 AM

Your trap looks to be a Newhouse. The original cast pan has been replaced with a forged one. The swivel is original but the chain from clevis to clevis is not original. It most likely dates to around 1900, plus or minus a few years.

Re: Help I.D. Old Trap with Cool Repair - Blacksmith - 06/15/20 04:29 PM

thanks for the info. I have been researching as much as I can. Is it possible this newhouse #15? Also is the black on it look to be a dip? Thanks
Posted By: tellereisen

Re: Help I.D. Old Trap with Cool Repair - Blacksmith - 06/15/20 05:06 PM

is this trap for bear? nice trap!

Re: Help I.D. Old Trap with Cool Repair - Blacksmith - 06/15/20 05:14 PM

Yes Tellerisen. I think it would have to be at 29" with 11" jaws. I believe it is a #15
Posted By: tellereisen

Re: Help I.D. Old Trap with Cool Repair - Blacksmith - 06/15/20 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by LuvAntiques
Yes Tellerisen. I think it would have to be at 29" with 11" jaws. I believe it is a #5

great! thank you smile
Posted By: snakecollector

Re: Help I.D. Old Trap with Cool Repair - Blacksmith - 06/15/20 07:57 PM

With an 11" jaw spread, it is a #15. The black on the trap is likely paint.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums