Home

Do you treat your cages, if so how ?

Posted By: 1st RiverRat

Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/02/12 08:28 PM

???
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/02/12 09:06 PM

Wire brush and spray paint...at least twice a year.

I want my traps looking professional...and so should you ! wink
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/02/12 09:31 PM

I always treat my cages good , sometimes I even talk to them
Posted By: JROTH813

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/02/12 09:56 PM

I pressure wash them when needed then wire brush and spray paint them. Keep them looking good.
Posted By: sgs

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/02/12 11:36 PM

I just keep them clean. I spray them down at the car wash or with the garden hose and call it good.
Posted By: wiggler

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/02/12 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: sgs
I just keep them clean. I spray them down at the car wash or with the garden hose and call it good.

i do too, unless their woodchuck traps.. keep the chuck smell in those.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/03/12 12:22 AM

I clean the bottom and sides up about 6 inches. Pressure wash, wire brush to get loose rust and debris off then dip them into a square tin pan with a trap coat in it.It measures the size of the trap when standing in the set position. Then I roll the trap from side to side. I only full dip every few years. The bottom and lower sides I dip at least once a year.
Posted By: ProLine

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/03/12 02:39 AM

I put them in the weather and let the sun and rain take care of it. When I get a bad one I take to car wash. The old Victor Woodstream traps (1079s) are still in service since 1993, a few anyway. My new ones are all safeguard and tomahawk. Keep them clean and in the sun. They will last a long time. I have a big issue with Coon Traps not being cleaned , especially in the spring. If you have cage that smells like Male Raccoon you will have a very hard time capturing a female. That is why Vanish is so effective. Raccoons are not so much trap shy as much as they (the female with litter you are trying to capture) avoid the Males in the spring
Posted By: 1st RiverRat

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/03/12 03:43 AM

I have always wire brushed and power washed then spray painted at least once a yr sometimes more it is needed. I have thought of having a dip tank built like you talked about Bob. Never messed with the liquid trap coat before. Does the trap have to have a good amount of rust on it to stick like log wood or walnut dye ?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/03/12 04:15 PM

Any metal grabs a treatment better and lasts longer with a rough, pitted or slightly rusted surface. Most all traps oxidize the most on the bottom and 4-6 inches up the sides due to moisture, mud, urine and feces buildup.If you keep these areas protected your wire grid will last a long time with some wire patch jobs needed on occassion.I use formula one with very good results and no odor airout time being needed. Once it dries you are back in operation.
Posted By: Charles Holt

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/03/12 07:09 PM

Propane weed burner. Heat kills raccoon round worm not much else will touch them. Burn traps in same location. Then a good power washing in another location if desired. No need to heat traps until they glow just a good 144 degrees. Weakening of traps won't be an issue if traps are quality like those made by members on here or Tomahawk / Safeguard. Like the formula one, look for the plastic bottom of large dog crates being thrown away makes a great dip tray. Agree with ghogs traps working better if scented up. A little tip, place trap with ghog in it on top of some pine shavings then collect shavings that are now scented up and bag them. Spread them in the back of trap at another location. I think you will like the result.
Posted By: John Pearson

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/03/12 10:41 PM

Nice G-hog tip Charles. That dog'll hunt.
Posted By: Mike Ciulla

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/04/12 01:20 AM

I pressure wash my traps, wire brush where needed and spray paint numerous times throughout the year.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/05/12 03:26 AM

I notice that when customers ride over our traps while backing out of the garage, that not only do they remove a lot of rust but the animals don't have to be relocated or euthanized either.

Fact: Of people who use personal ads for dating, thirty-five percent are married. Hey we all forget things sometimes!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/05/12 04:04 PM

I used to dip in F-1 but went to rolling on exterior latex paint/primer, bought when marked down.
Posted By: Baxter

Re: Do you treat your cages, if so how ? - 03/22/12 01:10 AM

I flame my traps and hose them down.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums