Home

What size Trapline Mole Trap??

Posted By: Snares&All

What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/14/12 11:40 PM

I live in Minnesota and was wondering if I should buy the standard or the large mole trap size? Steve Albano (owner)says that people like the larger size in states like Michigan, Canada, Ohio etc.. but use the standard for the midwest and east. Should I get large since I'm more north? Thanks
Posted By: Dan Gilliatt

Re: What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/15/12 12:07 AM

I use the standard but I am in Iowa.
Posted By: LBEE

Re: What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/15/12 12:18 AM

I would Listen to Steve, I believe he would know.
Posted By: G Hanold

Re: What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/15/12 01:29 AM

X2
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/15/12 01:37 AM

Ya these Michigan moles are big seen one take down a small dog the other day

Re: What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/15/12 01:40 AM

So standard or large? BTW im not new with mole trapping at all, just his traps
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/15/12 01:51 AM

I just orderd 2 doz standard , if you look on his web page that's what he suggest
Posted By: wiggler

Re: What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/15/12 01:54 AM

i own 150 of steve's traps and im in michigan and i use the standard size. the big ones are to big for my area.
Posted By: MoFarmBoy

Re: What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/15/12 02:10 AM

I'd order a dozen smaller ones first, then see if it's a good fit for your runs. Though a smaller trap in a larger run isn't ideal (refusals or detours), a too-large trap would be worse. Chances are, you'll use the smaller in certain situations anyway. The extra shipping charge would be the price you'd pay to know you'll have the right size. Or something.

Better yet, measure your typical run and post it here.
Posted By: SteveAlbano

Re: What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/15/12 01:12 PM

In general, I would say start with the standard size trap and only move to the larger size mole trap if the standard seems like a loose fit in the tunnels. The larger size mole trap is only a bit less than 1/4 inch wider in jaw spread compared to the standard trap, so not a big difference, but it is important with an inside the tunnel style mole trap that the trap jaws be right out to the sides of the tunnel. If the jaws are much narrower than the tunnel, the moles will tend to go around the trap more often.

Moles are smaller in the southern states and larger in the northern states. So that is one factor that can influence the choice of trap size. I have listed a few of the northern states on our website as possible locations where the larger trap might be preferred because I got feedback from several people in those states that were having better results with the larger size traps. But the moles do vary a bit in size locally too.

Also soil type can affect the choice of trap size. The moles make slightly smaller tunnels in more solid clay type soils, and slightly bigger tunnels in softer or sandier type soils. Also, it is easy to place a larger size mole trap in a run through soft or sandy soil, even if the jaws are slightly wider than the tunnel, just shove it in. But you can't to that as easily in solid clay soils.

So it's not really an exact science. You could try to measure the width of a tunnel, but measuring tunnel width down to a quarter of an inch or less can be hard to do accurately in my experience, unless you have a really clean well formed tunnel.

I would say if you are in a northern state and tend to have soft or sandy soils, then go with the larger size, otherwise start with the standard size and only move to the larger size if you find the standard size a bit small for the tunnels.

Re: What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/15/12 08:09 PM

Thanks everyone! Steve be expecting an order very soon smile
Posted By: Jerry Westin

Re: What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/20/12 10:57 PM

Been using Steve's traps for three years now. In the Portland area we have gophers, Townsend moles and
Pacific coast moles. The Townsend is a large mole and the Pacific is smaller which likes a sandy or loam
type soil. I use three sizes, it all depends on the size of the tunnel, the tighter the better. My first choice trap
is the Out of Sight but when dealing with the Pacific coast or immature Townsend I go right to Steve's traps.
Posted By: bluebill

Re: What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/20/12 11:00 PM

Large on the easterns around here. Standard on the star nosed. The easterns by me remind me of the movie Tremors!
Posted By: SteveAlbano

Re: What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/21/12 03:48 AM

Hey Jerry, did you find that our gopher size trap is too big for the Townsend mole tunnels?
Posted By: Jerry Westin

Re: What size Trapline Mole Trap?? - 03/21/12 03:20 PM

Steve in most cases it will be too large, but when I do get into a larger tunnel it does a great job. I have
a park where out of sights are out of the question, in this case because of the size of tunnels the gopher
size is a must.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums