Home

Dryer vents

Posted By: Peskycritter

Dryer vents - 03/15/12 08:37 PM

Is there a right way to cap a dryer vent , I just pass on doing dryer vents and just tell the good folks were they can buy one
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Dryer vents - 03/15/12 08:41 PM

That's mighty nice of you Pesky. I tell them that the closest place they can get one is the back of my van.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Dryer vents - 03/15/12 09:24 PM

That is an easy $75.00 > $125 add on service for us.That includes an inspection and clean out of if necessary.

Re: Dryer vents - 03/15/12 09:35 PM

Problem is here in Michigan you need a heating and cooling lic to do anything like that, if the people forget to keep it clean and theres a fire from , this might void my insurance . I could be wrong
Posted By: warrior

Re: Dryer vents - 03/15/12 09:48 PM

I'm with Paul and Bob. I install the heartland dryer vent and do a full duct clean as part of almost all of my exclusions.
Posted By: USNret

Re: Dryer vents - 03/16/12 02:25 AM

Depends on state regs what goes or doesn't go over the vent. Some forbid it, some don't care. I find that a vent guard is less of a fire hazard than 2 pounds of pine needles stuffed into the vent by a starling, so I can't imagine any state regulator with 1/2 a brain forbidding the installation of a vent guard. Have pics of pine straw nests IN the dryer, for the day my state decides to try instituting a stupid "no vent guard" rule here.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Dryer vents - 03/16/12 02:35 AM

Folks try the heartland that is sold by wcs. The claims of being self cleaning are true. I've gone back and checked some that were installed three years ago and no lint buildup found.
Posted By: ProLine

Re: Dryer vents - 03/16/12 03:05 AM

I may not be aware of what a heartland is, however we remove bird nest and charge our service fee plus 15.00 per vent materials to cover them. In less than a hour you can remove the nest or duct for that matter and cover with a bird proof vent cover and leave with $195.00. I think the material cost are about 4 to 5 dollars per vet with an average of two vent. I buy my vent covers from WCS and they are actually made a couple miles from me, LOL

Re: Dryer vents - 03/16/12 03:09 AM

Nice i will check that out thanks
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Dryer vents - 03/16/12 01:50 PM

Fortunately for us, we find way more bathroom vents with nests in them. This makes life easier as you don't have to worry about clogging after you put a vent screen on.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Dryer vents - 03/16/12 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: USNret
Depends on state regs what goes or doesn't go over the vent. Some forbid it, some don't care. I find that a vent guard is less of a fire hazard than 2 pounds of pine needles stuffed into the vent by a starling, so I can't imagine any state regulator with 1/2 a brain forbidding the installation of a vent guard. Have pics of pine straw nests IN the dryer, for the day my state decides to try instituting a stupid "no vent guard" rule here.

Kevin, I think you were in the Navy,...so you understand the irony in "government logic".
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Dryer vents - 03/16/12 02:59 PM

Tim, I think the Heartland vent is what WCS calls The Energy Saving dryer Vent Cover. This has a 90 degree upward bend from the duct flange, then a little "ball in cage" apparatus for sealing the airway. The air pressure provided by the fan lifts the ball and gravity holds it in place when the fan or dryer is off. I like 'em, have installed a dozen or so.
Then there's the No-Pest vent. It's a lot like a store-bought hood, except it has two flaps. Haven't had the opportunity to try one of these.
Posted By: Charles Holt

Re: Dryer vents - 03/16/12 03:23 PM

http://www.rewci.com/hedrveclsy.html

Can't get picture I have to load so this link will give you some idea on the Heartland vent.

Re: Dryer vents - 03/16/12 05:16 PM

This heartland thing will work for me , thanks again warrior , I see they have a cleaning kit to ,I'm going to get that to, most of my bird action is in the bathroom vents like Paul said , mostly chipmunk chewing the flex pipe on the dryer and rats down in the city
© 2024 Trapperman Forums