Home

Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping?

Posted By: ScottW

Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/05/12 07:34 PM

I've always used apple pieces and peelings with decent luck, but just wondering if y'all have and particulars you like. I've never used any lures for em and am wondering if it's worth monkeying with lures for rabbits? Happy trapping. ScottW
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/05/12 09:37 PM

Must be top secret . I know very few company's around my area will do rabbits
Posted By: 1st RiverRat

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/05/12 11:54 PM

PM sent
Posted By: bushytail

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/06/12 01:08 AM

I would think apple oil would work well , never tried it though.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/06/12 02:22 PM

Rabbits will eat hard corn year round.
Loganberry oil will enhance that...
Slice an apple in the heat, it will spoil before you get home.
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/10/12 12:00 PM

Rabbits can be notoriusly difficult to trap. The few times I have had success i believe were a result of trap location more so than bait choice. I try to find a narrow spot that restricts travel, so the trap ia almost a blind set (this is not always possible) I do prefer apples for bait, but LT is vert right they go funky quick in the summer. A study done by penn state forever ago noted that rabbits will more readily enter a wooden box trap than a wire cage trap. WCS sells this trap as used in the penn state study. however i have not yet tried it.
Posted By: aprophet

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/10/12 01:58 PM

the salt blocks that are sold in the feed stores for rabbits are pretty unbelivable fox urine (salt) is pretty unreal too
Posted By: Blackdog

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/10/12 02:45 PM

Exclusion wink

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/10/12 03:58 PM

You guys are getting warmer
Posted By: akitzman

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/10/12 04:02 PM

a carrot tied to a string under a box propped up with a stick....i grew up watching this set being made in cartoons countless times...i'm practically an expert in the area now
Posted By: 22mag

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/10/12 08:13 PM

Shoot em
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/11/12 03:32 AM

I have a bunch of rabbits in my back yard and my neighbor hates me and the rabbits. He has a big garden and just because what I do he thinks all the ground hogs, raccoons, and rabbits that get in his garden or chimney I had something to do with. A friend who has good rabbit dogs and takes me hunting asks me to relocate some rabbits to his farm. Wanting to be a good neighbor and friend tonight I set a wooden rabbit trap with Noonan's cottontail cager for a lure. Tommorrow I am going to add some traps with primarily food lures. What I am hoping to be the most succesful is a plastic fruitbowl apple with and apple paste bait for odor. If they fall for it it will make me so happy because a rabbit in the summer is hard to catch.
I have never dont this but I think it might work. I had a customer who catches a lot of rabbits in her garden. She had a double door havahart with metal top. She set it with no bait and put a rubber snake near the trap. She caught a lot of rabbits. I always thought the initial sight of a snake has the same effect on the rabbit as it does any sane animal. The immediate reaction is safety and the covered trap looks like a good place to hide while you figure out your next move. Then our most patient and reliable employee the trap does exactly what we expect out of him he closes the doors. The rabbit then starts thinking what idiot could have done all of this stupid stuff now what. Then he starts to think maybe the snake ain't even real why lord why would anybody do this.
About that time the idiot shows up and picks him up speaking nicely and he realizes the idiot is him.
To be continued....

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/11/12 03:44 AM

There's really no point talking about rabbits any more seeing I'm the only company that does rabbits around here , you don't see me with any rabbit videos

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/11/12 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: trapper4hire
Rabbits can be notoriusly difficult to trap. The few times I have had success i believe were a result of trap location more so than bait choice. I try to find a narrow spot that restricts travel, so the trap ia almost a blind set (this is not always possible) I do prefer apples for bait, but LT is vert right they go funky quick in the summer. A study done by penn state forever ago noted that rabbits will more readily enter a wooden box trap than a wire cage trap. WCS sells this trap as used in the penn state study. however i have not yet tried it.

No one remembers the video and pictures I did on how to cage trap a rabbit ?

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/11/12 04:32 AM

That's right no video on rabbits
Posted By: Dave Shumway

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/11/12 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Originally Posted By: trapper4hire

No one remembers the video and pictures I did on how to cage trap a rabbit ?

Refresh our memories LT, Please?!

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/11/12 05:06 PM

There is no video from me and there will be no video
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/11/12 08:16 PM

Who cares, Pesky? Shumway is talking to LT and a lot of other guys may be interested.

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/12/12 12:16 AM

I just got some of blackies NEW rabbit lure "Hare today gone tommorow" in the mail today. No clue if it will help, I have at times had some improvement in catching by using rabbit urine as a lure.

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/12/12 12:21 AM

I'm hoping Pesky has an inside joke or something..........
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/12/12 02:24 AM

They reproduce too fast. Natural predators. Clear out their cover...

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/13/12 09:15 PM

I hate to bother LATrapper...but to tell the truth, he can find it faster than anyone I know of...

It was on this forum as well as Trapping Only.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/13/12 11:39 PM

A few previous "rabbit" discussions, many more are available-
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1843035
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1843028
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1685084/hare_rabbit_snares.html#Post1685084
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1408102/Rabbits.html#Post1408102
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post2732228
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post2008927
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2503322/Rabbit_Issue.html#Post2503322

Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/13/12 11:47 PM

I sell rabbit lure that works great for coons.
Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

Re: Best bait/lure for summer live rabbit trapping? - 04/14/12 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Phil Nichols
I sell rabbit lure that works great for coons.

I've said it for years, try and catch something other then a rabbit and they will clog your traps.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums