Home

Favorite ADC coon bait?

Posted By: Nostalgia

Favorite ADC coon bait? - 04/20/12 04:27 PM

Any of you have a favorite? Or do you like to keep it simple. Marshmellows, donuts, etc.
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: Favorite ADC coon bait? - 04/20/12 08:16 PM

Peaches & cream is my Favorite I put it on marshmellos. They do not like the taste of it, but the smell draws them in.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Favorite ADC coon bait? - 04/20/12 08:27 PM

I guess this subject bears repeating. I had a friend who was not all that bright when it came to trapping but one thing I will give him credit for; his raccoon baiting technique. He called it his Chinese method; in other words sweet and sour. What he was giving them was kind of a buffet. I can't resist a good buffet and apparently neither can the raccoons. You don't have to worry about over-baiting with raccoons; they eat like a Sumo wrestler.
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: Favorite ADC coon bait? - 04/20/12 08:32 PM

As far as LURES, I use beaver castor, Salmon oil, and believe it or not, Barbecue sauce. Depends where I am working actualy. Barbecue sauce is mainly used where barbecues happen, Camp sites. The other two are universal.
All my set up are made with as many triggers to trip on a coon as possible. I apeal to the coons sence of sight as well, which is how they mainly obtain food anyway( Notice the big eyes right?) I make the coon dig through a bunch of garbage to find the source of the odor inside my trap. It just keeps him working the set longer.
No lure or bait will work well if the coon doesnt pass closely, so placement matters alot.
Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

Re: Favorite ADC coon bait? - 04/20/12 09:16 PM

I do what Mike Flick does, I call it feeding them to death.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Favorite ADC coon bait? - 04/21/12 02:27 AM

I make a real Heavy Loganberry based bait and another that is Fruit and Anise Based
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Favorite ADC coon bait? - 04/21/12 02:38 AM

Molasses is what I like , cheap and can really use a lot ,pour some in the trap ,then take a feed sack with about 4' of wire to it , pour some on that by the trap then drag it to my pumper ,wire it to the hitch and drive down the road at about 5mph for a 1/2 mile or so , seems to work , also can take some In a can then take my small propane burner and burn it , sends off this sweet smelling smoke that really brings them in
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Favorite ADC coon bait? - 04/21/12 12:45 PM

Pesky, You should just try the Powdered Molasses that they sell a Feed Mill stores... Its made for animal feed. It smells strong and sweet like regular molassas, but when sprinkled in and around a cage it doesn't make a mess. Coons Love it too!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Favorite ADC coon bait? - 04/28/12 01:05 AM

In barns, to avoid cats, I like Blackies Fur King, or like RF, Jamesons Peaches N Cream or a lil of both in the cup with a couple mini marshmallows, with a trail dabbed along

Also, Blackies Paste Base with some banana oil, a la Kirk.

If cats are NOT a problem, any meat food scraps work, chicken bones, etc
© 2024 Trapperman Forums