Home

Bee Vacs?

Posted By: andyva

Bee Vacs? - 05/05/12 09:38 PM

Whats a good bee vacuum for live honeybee removal? I've seen the one Dadant sells, and the plans for building it yourself. It seems bulky for using on ladders and stuff. Anyone have any experience with the Owens bee-vac, sold by brushy mountain? Looks like that would be a doable do it yourself project.
I always just took my time and moved slow and used smoke and sugar water, but I wasn't charging anything then either, just doing it for the bees. Figure a vac might work quicker, people like quick.
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Bee Vacs? - 05/05/12 10:09 PM

I borrowed a homemade one last year that vacuumed them straight into box, worked really well.
Posted By: BILL M.

Re: Bee Vacs? - 05/05/12 11:19 PM

I USE THE BUSHKILL BEE VAC, I REALLY LIKE IT AND THE BEES SURVIVE GOOD.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Bee Vacs? - 05/05/12 11:21 PM

Bushkill is the only way to go.
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: Bee Vacs? - 05/06/12 12:11 AM

5 gallon bucket, with screan under the lid foamed in. Fit both top and bottom with vac hose connectors. The top end points to the vac, and the next piece of hose gets attached to bottom of the bucket. Thats the working end, and when you are done, keep the vac going until you remove the hose and get the bottom end capped. You can work all day with just one lid and 5 buckets. Now you can feed the bees some honey through the screen if you want.
When I wanted to put the little guys in a super, I just made a hole in the top of the super and set the bucket on it. The bees figured out what to do, sometimes they left but most times they stayed and made great honey. Even african bees worked out for me, they make alot more honey.

Re: Bee Vacs? - 05/06/12 12:20 AM

I took one look at that thing (bushkill) and thought about weight, genius me didn't consider the fact that you hook long hose to it and leave it wherever. I guess a long hose is lighter than any other option. You dont have to shake them out of anything either.

What kind of hp vac do you run it with? They are sold out of ten frame units, I might get the eight, I inherited a bunch of eight frame bodies. (Grampa liked using all same size frames, eight frame deep honey supers won't strain your milk as bad!)
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Bee Vacs? - 05/06/12 12:56 AM

A little off topic-
The four-part saga of the tire bees. The sound is terrible, but the video is interesting. I wonder if our kilt wearing bee catcher has tried this.
Auto play- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnVEUgDz1Ss&feature=BFa&list=ULjM1YqRN2wKU

A little more off topic-
A better mouse trap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM1YqRN2w...&playnext=5

Re: Bee Vacs? - 05/06/12 01:55 AM

Andy, I just bought 50' of pool hose for my vac. That's about max for my 6hp vac motor.

Re: Bee Vacs? - 05/06/12 02:36 AM

LA, that area the location of the colony and reaction are all classic AHB. Were that a client's property I would only undertake that job with a well established safety perimeter in place and removal would be only to a secure outyard until I could get them requeened. No, I would not wear the kilt.
Fortunately we have the "tame" ones here.

Re: Bee Vacs? - 05/06/12 03:03 AM

Is that 2 1/2" pool hose you're talking about Warrior?

Re: Bee Vacs? - 05/06/12 02:24 PM

Next size down. 1 7/8, I believe.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums