Home

Tips for cage trapping rabbits...?

Posted By: Snuffy

Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/09/12 01:42 AM

Got a few causing problems in my mother-in-laws' veggie garden. Any helpful hints on caging these critters? I appreciate any advice guys!
Posted By: BILL M.

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/09/12 02:04 AM

I ALWAYS USE APPLES.
Posted By: 1969lr

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/14/12 12:36 AM

For some reason, I always did a whole lot better trapping rabbits in wooden boxes using cabbage from the garden.
Posted By: southernlures

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/14/12 02:24 PM

spray rabbit urine in side your cages or wooden box traps.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/14/12 03:31 PM

I always use apples, but on a 110.

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/14/12 10:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm limited to cage or box traps for this, because it's in the heart of suburbia. Too many domestics roaming around, so lethal measures are not an option.

How small of a wooden box trap is practical for cottontails?
Posted By: garys

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/14/12 10:26 PM

Here is the design I have used all my life. I had a lot of luck with it when I was a kid. I had about 20 of them and we always had rabbit to eat! I would put an apple slice in the back and shot of fox urine on the top of the door, don't know why but it seemed to really increase my catch rate!

http://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/resources/2010/05/4525_2245.pdf
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/14/12 10:51 PM

You might want to check this thread and included links.
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post3107598

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/14/12 11:02 PM

Thanks garys, I appreciate the link. Looks pretty slick!

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/15/12 12:00 AM

LAtrapper, that's a big help. Thanks very much
Posted By: conejo

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/15/12 11:05 AM

http://icwdm.org/handbook/mammals/CottontailRabbits.asp
Posted By: aprophet

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/15/12 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: garys
Here is the design I have used all my life. I had a lot of luck with it when I was a kid. I had about 20 of them and we always had rabbit to eat! I would put an apple slice in the back and shot of fox urine on the top of the door, don't know why but it seemed to really increase my catch rate!

http://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/resources/2010/05/4525_2245.pdf

it is the salt in the urine the salt spools made for rabbits at the feed store work well for "bait " too

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/15/12 11:16 PM

Another very informative link conejo, thank you. It so happens that last year I bought two box traps at a yard sale that are identical to that one. I'm refurbishing them now, they'll be in use by the weekend.

I propped one open and put it in my daughters' rabbit hutch, with some feed inside to encourage her tame bunny to sit inside the trap (hopefully peeing all over the floor while it's in there). Do you guys think that domestic rabbit scent will be an attractant, or are the two species not interested in each other?
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/16/12 12:25 AM

I always thought that rabbits were not prejudiced but if they are, I'm sure Obama will have something to say about it.

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/17/12 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
I always thought that rabbits were not prejudiced but if they are, I'm sure Obama will have something to say about it.

So is that an affirmative?
Posted By: aprophet

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/24/12 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Snuffy
Another very informative link conejo, thank you. It so happens that last year I bought two box traps at a yard sale that are identical to that one. I'm refurbishing them now, they'll be in use by the weekend.

I propped one open and put it in my daughters' rabbit hutch, with some feed inside to encourage her tame bunny to sit inside the trap (hopefully peeing all over the floor while it's in there). Do you guys think that domestic rabbit scent will be an attractant, or are the two species not interested in each other?

the only 2 we have here are Sylvilagus floridanus and Swamp rabbit, Sylvilagus aquaticus
they like each others smell ( crap) I can normally find the swampers this time of the year in the flower beds raising babies the babies are already out on their own at this point
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/26/12 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

You sir are the master rabbit race baiter, our very own, the Reverend Paul Jesse Winklesharp.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 05/27/12 12:50 AM

Can I have an "Amen"?

Re: Tips for cage trapping rabbits...? - 06/07/12 09:37 PM

Thanks for the info guys
© 2024 Trapperman Forums