Home

Need Help Keeping Starlings and Grackles OUT

Posted By: Trap21

Need Help Keeping Starlings and Grackles OUT - 05/13/12 09:38 PM

Alright guys,
10x10 Coonhound kennel, in town. Has a roof built over it. These birds come in high numbers, and they crap in the water, bathe in it and eat the food. A pellet takes one here and there but I am not around enough or do I have enough time to sit all day. Any ideas to keep them away? Any help appreciated.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Need Help Keeping Starlings and Grackles OUT - 05/13/12 10:35 PM

Make a top for the kennel with a small hole that will funnel them in, but make it hard to get out. Destroy all starlings and let the grackels back out. Grackels are song birds and are protected. Use the starlings to become good at taxidermy!

Matt
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: Need Help Keeping Starlings and Grackles OUT - 05/13/12 10:38 PM

put a terrier in the kennel for a few days. I suspect this is a local group of starlings and I would put a starling trap out and enter them in the food chain. More might start up but I doubt it. If the roof has exposed joists I would eliminate the access.
I hate those nasty birds.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Need Help Keeping Starlings and Grackles OUT - 05/14/12 12:47 AM

Hey Eaten, I didn't believe you so I looked it up and you were right. I guess somewhere between my teenage years and the Social Security years all those blackbirds started singing. When I was a kid, cowbirds, redwing blackbirds, and grackles, were unprotected. I made it through my teen years by taking all my animosity out on this collection of worthless fowl. I'll bet somebody from HSUS taught them to sing.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Need Help Keeping Starlings and Grackles OUT - 05/14/12 06:48 PM

Grackles are not protected here where they areconsidered a serious nuicsance.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Need Help Keeping Starlings and Grackles OUT - 05/15/12 12:03 PM

Our Regulations are as such: Unprotected Birds
House sparrows, starlings, common pigeons, chukar partridge, quail other than northern bobwhite, and monk parakeets are unprotected and may be taken at any time.

I would put up a Trap above the kennel like others above have suggested.
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: Need Help Keeping Starlings and Grackles OUT - 05/15/12 12:29 PM

If the roof over the kennel doesn't interfere and the chain link openings are small enough the trap door on the kennel is definitely the way to go. It will increase the poop on your dog for a while but should resolve the issue.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums