Home

baby skunks

Posted By: dspree

baby skunks - 06/11/12 11:14 PM

I have a skunk job going right now and was wondering what trap I can use to catch the babies. I caught one of them already and they aren't heavy enough to set my live trap off. They are in a city park under a shed so I can only use live traps. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Posted By: sgs

Re: baby skunks - 06/11/12 11:34 PM

I've had good luck with 7x7x24 colony traps.
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: baby skunks - 06/11/12 11:35 PM

I use the same traps i use for squirrels for baby skunks. WCS special squirrel traps.
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: baby skunks - 06/11/12 11:39 PM

If you can, try to positive set for them so when they come out, they have to go right into your cages. We have been puttting 2 Safeguard 7 x 8 x 24's side by side facing the hole,plus one on each side facing away, and catching multiple skunks in each cage. If the doors are down, the young will climb over and get captured trying to re-enter,or thinking they can save their buddies. We also keep a couple 5 gallon buckets on the truck, and sometimes you can get lucky and pick them right up and put them in the bucket. Got 19 in two days that we just picked up. If they are really small, we use some Tomahawk 4x4x15 size chipmunk cages on them, with a little fish based canned cat food for bait. You can still get 2-3 young in them at times. Around here, I can set my calender by the exact date they start coming out and the phone begins to ring about them, June 7 th. every year,this year was no exception. Hope this helps, and good luck.
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: baby skunks - 06/12/12 12:35 AM

I do the same as Trapper4hire, I set a raccoon sized for the mama. I set the squirrel traps all around the trap for mom. Tube traps work some for the little ones if set on a hair trigger. Leaving a small pile of bait before and after the pan helps with the multi catches.

Re: baby skunks - 06/12/12 01:49 AM

Thanks I'll give the smaller traps a try.
Posted By: swampdonkey

Re: baby skunks - 06/12/12 02:15 AM

x2 with Albert pick em up
Posted By: BigBob

Re: baby skunks - 06/12/12 04:50 AM

x2 colony traps.
Posted By: iayogi17

Re: baby skunks - 06/12/12 12:45 PM

I use a colony trap as well. I even have some that are made out of wood that work grat for baby skunks
Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

Re: baby skunks - 06/12/12 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: trapper4hire
I use the same traps i use for squirrels for baby skunks. WCS special squirrel traps.

That's what I use but I took the end panel out of some of them and replaced it with 1x1 mesh so my syringe pole will fit.
Posted By: bluebill

Re: baby skunks - 06/12/12 04:08 PM

WCS multi catch squirrel trap. Wedge the door open 1" to coax the 1st one in. When the first one goes in the wedge falls away letting the door shut. The others will then follow the 1st one. I have caught the whole litter at once this way.

Re: baby skunks - 06/12/12 05:17 PM

I had another baby in my plasticatch today. Two babies and the mother to go. I didn't see the little ones out today.
Posted By: dew

Re: baby skunks - 06/12/12 06:13 PM

colony trap for babies is the way to go.

Posted By: WOODSNUT

Re: baby skunks - 06/12/12 07:54 PM

I just finished up a skunk job same thing bunch of babies. I place my biat on the pan so when they climb on the extra weight triggers it. I got 7 of them in 2 days using 3 traps and a positive trap set.

Re: baby skunks - 06/13/12 06:31 PM

Three more little ones today. Still no sign of the mother. I set another live trap on the other end of the shed. I can't tell exactly where they are coming out of because there are several places along the shed. I might try back filling the whole thing except for one or two spots tomorrow if I don't have her by then.

Re: baby skunks - 06/13/12 09:32 PM

Tripple in a home made 10X10,
Posted By: TN Ridge Runner

Re: baby skunks - 06/13/12 10:26 PM

Ran these 3 skunks down and caught them by hand today. I stopped in a store on the way home and noticed a couple of boys holding their noses when I walked by.

Posted By: Animals Only

Re: baby skunks - 06/13/12 11:49 PM

Dew. Good to see you here again. Here are three in one.

Posted By: conejo

Re: baby skunks - 06/13/12 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: bluebill
WCS multi catch squirrel trap. Wedge the door open 1" to coax the 1st one in. When the first one goes in the wedge falls away letting the door shut. The others will then follow the 1st one. I have caught the whole litter at once this way.

x2

Re: baby skunks - 06/14/12 06:44 AM

Two more tonight. The town cop called me and said there was one in the trap, when I got there I found two. This makes 7.
Posted By: sgs

Re: baby skunks - 06/14/12 12:29 PM

Sounds like you got the whole litter but where's mama?

Re: baby skunks - 06/14/12 05:46 PM

All the babies are caught. No sign of the mother. I used my camera to look under the shed nd nothing there. Anybody got any ideas.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: baby skunks - 06/14/12 08:40 PM

Dew has a sweet video on lt site right now about trapping skunks he has them all packed in one trap . With a trap one can make in 5 min
Posted By: TN Ridge Runner

Re: baby skunks - 06/15/12 11:53 AM

The baby skunks really like the small marshmallows.

Re: baby skunks - 06/15/12 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: dspree
All the babies are caught. No sign of the mother. I used my camera to look under the shed nd nothing there. Anybody got any ideas.

she is roadkill somewhere, or met demise somehow
Posted By: dew

Re: baby skunks - 06/17/12 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
Dew has a sweet video on lt site right now about trapping skunks he has them all packed in one trap . With a trap one can make in 5 min

thanks peskycritter I'm not a pro at taken videos lol. but when I do I hope others can pick up on things.
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: baby skunks - 06/17/12 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: trapper4hire
Originally Posted By: dspree

she is roadkill somewhere, or met demise somehow

Agreed.....
Posted By: Willow

Re: baby skunks - 06/17/12 06:40 PM

I juist completed a skunk job, used the same 12X12X36 inch homemade trap, to get the babies I just oiled all the joints in the trap with cooking oil, 7 babies, 1 mother. Took 4 days to complete.

H.T. "willow"
© 2024 Trapperman Forums