bats in the hay barn - 06/18/12 10:21 PM

exclusion is not an option . whats next? they need to go
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: bats in the hay barn - 06/18/12 10:34 PM

I've heard of some guys harassing small colonies into moving..... good luck
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: bats in the hay barn - 06/18/12 10:36 PM

waco, is it a maternity colony?

what is the "gotta go" due to? mess, phobia, other?

justin
Posted By: BUD25

Re: bats in the hay barn - 06/19/12 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: wacotrapr
exclusion is not an option . whats next? they need to go

netting.... always an option
Posted By: natecamp

Re: bats in the hay barn - 06/19/12 12:08 AM

put netting on all exits exept one then come back in the middle of the night wen there all out hunting and put netting on the last exit and they cant get back in so they go stay some1 else
Posted By: nighthunter2

Re: bats in the hay barn - 06/19/12 03:41 AM

Make sure there are no babies if possible, of no babies on site hang betting and or bat tubes and leave them till there is no more sign of them in attic or droppings around entrance/exits holes and then deal it up. Or am I doing things wrong?
Posted By: Muddawg

Re: bats in the hay barn - 06/19/12 01:07 PM

In my books it states that we can't do any removal options before September 1.

But in the mean time, try bat houses somewhere close by. This will give the little critters another roasting option other than the barn. Then come September, harass them into leaving. Lights on at night, brushing them off their perch with a broom or mop, hang a fake snake or two in the rafters, use noise makers to keep them upset, maybe even a radio left playing.

Fake snake.... That may be a stupid idea seeing as how bats have SUCH good eyesight. smirk But... What the hey? It just might work.
Posted By: Robb Russell

Re: bats in the hay barn - 06/19/12 04:22 PM

That barn is gonna need to be sealed up or it will always have bat problems. This often is a new barn old barn acceptance thing!

If exclusion is not the answer what are you selling? Are you just getting rid of bats this time!

Please don't sell anything that has no science or fact to back it up. Fake snakes, owls, mothballs etc. Don't get a bad reputation for being associated with bad solutions.
Posted By: wacotrapr

Re: bats in the hay barn - 06/21/12 09:14 PM

the barn has way to many openings to close up. and some that cant be. thanks for everyones ideas
Posted By: USNret

Re: bats in the hay barn - 06/21/12 10:51 PM

Try a STRONG breeze directed at their usual roosting spot. We've had this work in the past. The squirrel cage fan units used by restoration companies for drying water-soaked carpets is probably the most portable and it packs a wicked breeze. Another fan option, Tractor Supply sells a large, wheel-around fan unit, blades probably 3 feet across, for ventilating barns. Sucker's big enough to turn your johnboat into a redneck airboat. Will have to get it close to the colony for max breeze and reposition it as they roost elsewhere in the barn. It's a pricey idea, but with enough harrassment they may choose to roost elsewhere. Of course, this is for after the blackout period ends if it's a nursery colony, or now if it's a bachelor colony.
The netting idea could provide a permanent solution depending on implementation and proper installation. I installed over 6K sqft of bat net at the Virginia Aquarium. Not the usual light gauge 1/6" inch bat net we use for venting bats, but rather bird net with smaller holes, specifically for bats. BBG sells it, but I haven't seen them advertising it in the catalog yet. Not sure if BBI carries it. You'll need extra mounting hardware because it's much heavier than the smallest mesh sized bird net we use for sparrows.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums