Home

Leech trapping

Posted By: LAtrapper

Leech trapping - 06/19/12 02:58 AM

We certainly wouldn't want to see a thread go "off topic" on this forum.crazy In an attempt to keep the Turtle Trapping thread pure and on subject. Peskycritter asked
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
I got one for you guys , how do you build a leech trap . There's big money in leeches here in the north , there about the best bait there is for fishing . I even seen a guy catching 3 to 5 lbs brown trout of the pier at Frankfort one time , …

I received my 3-pound order of ribbon leeches from Minnesota a couple of weeks ago. We don’t have ribbon or horse leeches down here. There is quite a bit of information on leech trapping on youtube.com, a couple of examples.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h53M3b9-l7c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BUBihECPJM
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Leech trapping - 06/19/12 03:12 AM

Thank you LA for attempting to save our sanity.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Leech trapping - 06/19/12 03:16 AM

Good Lord we can all get along. RIP Rodney
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Leech trapping - 06/19/12 03:21 AM

Spray paint a coffee can black punch holes all
Along the bottom put liver in the can put the Lid
On tie a string and float to it and toss it in 4 ft of leechy
Water!! You must check traps very early otherwise within
A few hours after daylight they let go!!
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Leech trapping - 06/19/12 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Phil Nichols
Good Lord we can all get along. RIP Rodney

LMAO
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Leech trapping - 06/19/12 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Kasey Glander
Spray paint a coffee can black punch holes all
Along the bottom put liver in the can put the Lid
On tie a string and float to it and toss it in 4 ft of leechy
Water!! You must check traps very early otherwise within
A few hours after daylight they let go!!
So you just let it float . I will try that . There's good leech trapping water all around me . Right now we have been gigging some dandy frogs . That warm winter sure help them . Any body know how to trap frogs

Re: Leech trapping - 06/19/12 03:46 AM

I had know idea people down south were buying leeches from the north . That's great news because my kids always need money

Re: Leech trapping - 06/19/12 04:00 AM

You got to love YouTube , that second video , that guy is a pro . He even has a leech grader , nice thanks . My kids are all fired up now . My coil will be in some swamp now . One kid wants to just lay out in the water and use himself for bait . Doctors use leeches when people cut there fingers off to help get the blood pull threw the fingers . They have some kinda antibiotic they release to .
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Leech trapping - 06/19/12 12:19 PM

The can sinks but you put a float on it so you
Can find it! I've had as much as 3 pounds hanging off
One can

Re: Leech trapping - 06/19/12 08:02 PM

Ok I got ya thanks for the info kasey
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: Leech trapping - 06/19/12 08:46 PM

nice thanks . My kids are all fired up now . My coil will be in some swamp now . One kid wants to just lay out in the water and use himself for bait .

You can tell a kid that will use himself for bait. Don't get allowance......... grin
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Leech trapping - 06/19/12 09:03 PM

Just know I am missing another get rich thing. Are their leeches near me in PA. There are tons and tons of lawyers and politicians, but I refer to the God's creature that is more pleasant, those black slimy beautiful things that fish love.

Re: Leech trapping - 06/19/12 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ponyboy
nice thanks . My kids are all fired up now . My coil will be in some swamp now . One kid wants to just lay out in the water and use himself for bait .

You can tell a kid that will use himself for bait. Don't get allowance......... grin
No I have never just handed my kids money . But they have hundred dollar bills stashed all around the house . The other day I seen one kid pulling the teeth out of my bear mount and grab some money . No hand outs but always work to earn . The one kid caught 72 muskrats over his Xmas break and got a 10.40 average on them . Not bad for 12 yearold . The oldest does have his own bank account . I told him not to get a dept card and the first year someone got his numbers and stold over 300 bucks at like a dollar or two at a time . The bank refunded his money . There going to go talk to the guy at the bait shop down the road to see if they can do some trading
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Leech trapping - 06/20/12 04:15 AM

I strip Naked,,,,,,wade in,,,,,and jig for them with my pole,,,,,,,,
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Leech trapping - 06/20/12 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Vinke

whistle laugh

I used to catch them up in 'da U.P. using a bloody beaver head in a coffee can on a string.
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: Leech trapping - 06/20/12 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Vinke

Must take a while to fill up a coffee can that a way.......

Re: Leech trapping - 06/22/12 03:50 AM

The first trap check
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISlr-QBiMSk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Re: Leech trapping - 06/22/12 04:00 AM

Second leech trap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5QUBVDw7RQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
© 2024 Trapperman Forums