Home

summer coyote trapping

Posted By: Coyote Joe

summer coyote trapping - 06/26/12 01:19 AM

I have recently started trying to catch summer yotes. WOW. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I've only caught 4 in 2 weeks. Itried dirt hole sets, flat sets, trench sets, bone sets and nothing works. They all are either left completely alone or just dug up. The 4 I have caught I've caught with snares on drainage ditches on a fish farm but its been a week since I've caught anything. I really need some advice.
Posted By: ccary

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/26/12 01:32 AM

4 off the same place in June? What's the problem unless it's way more acreage than i'm thinking.
According to what the layout is like, that isn't too bad at all
Posted By: The Trapster

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/26/12 01:36 AM

You need to change your methods summertime trappin isnt fur trappin as you have figured out.You need to take advantage of their instincts more this time of year.They dont readily come to lures now that you would use in the fall.Im sure others will chime in and help ya along as well.
LT. where you at???
Myself I prefer snares this time of year ya just gotta change gears a little and youll catchem if they are there.

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/26/12 01:40 AM

Nah two off the same place and two off another place. The first farm is 200 acers surrounded by a few thousand acers of grain farms and the other is about 500 acers surrounded by the same several thousand acres of grain farms. This past winter I was catching 10 to 12 a week but I know they are harder to catch in summer. This is the first summer I've ever tried. I've trapped winter for a long time so its new to me
Posted By: BUD25

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/26/12 01:43 AM

try just eye appeal and no lure/ bait......

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/26/12 01:44 AM

I don.t really trap for fur any way. I trap live only to sell live. I make more that way. I was just wondering if the home range changes in summer. Do they stay closer to the den? Its really hot here. About 100 degrees everyday.

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/26/12 01:45 AM

gottcha
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/26/12 02:48 AM

So your not doing animal damage control , your just out trapping coyote to sell to people that collect urine

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/26/12 05:25 PM

yes, homeranges are tight right now. That's why i say 4 off one location is a pretty decent catch. Not uncommon for a location now to pick up 1 or 2 then go dead until pups start coming out more. I recently removed coyotes for an exotic animal breeder. Picked up 6 there within 400 yds of each other. But notice the appeal that this place has. Picked up 2 in three days, then it went dead for nearly 3 wks before the others showed up. There is a lesson in that if you think about it.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/26/12 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: The Trapster

LT. where you at???

Right here... wink
Posted By: The Trapster

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/26/12 11:22 PM

Lt. your over your limit on PMS.Tried callin left ya a message Sorry didnt mean to interupt this thread.
Posted By: Brushblend

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/27/12 01:34 AM

Urine post sets will take a lot of coyotes any time of the year. It's a territorial thing.

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/27/12 06:45 PM

Natural boundary scent markers, yes...

Man made ones using commercial grade, ammonia, aged urine...?

Get back to me on that, will ya' !?? wink

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/28/12 03:06 AM

Man made, blackened(burnt) posts will work. Aged urine is fine. It is best to have a point of interest in close proximity to the post however. This can be anything from a dead skunk, cow head etc. to ripe lure poured on the ground. Be sure to wear rubber boots and gloves to avoid perspiration odors at the set in warm weather.

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/28/12 03:36 AM

rubber boots and gloves in 100 degree heat will make you sweat even more.....

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/28/12 04:13 AM

yeah, but at least it won't drip onto the set which as you must know is crucial to success. Spend as little perspiring time as possible at the proposed capture location!

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/28/12 05:16 AM

i wear leather gloves? And i like turds? no mention of turds?
Posted By: Jeremy Chalk

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/28/12 12:47 PM

What is it like for water sources in your area. In summer time where I'm from most water sources are dried up and limits the places where coyotes can get water. I would try checking out water sources for coyote sign.

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/28/12 01:27 PM

IMO, if you are worried about human scent that much, it shows where you are in your coyote knowledge.
How do you POSSIBLY think the trappers out west who trap coyotes year round do it in 90-100 degree heat ?
Think they never sweat ?
Sure they do and they catch coyotes right through it all !!!

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/28/12 01:57 PM

Yes LT, but they would likely catch more coyotes if they minimized their odor at the set whenever possible. By the way, I'm quite satisfied with the knowledge gained through 50 years of coyote trapping, the numbers have added up very significantly! Now I will turn the other cheek and you can insult me again if you like.
Posted By: Barehunter

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/28/12 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: The Trapster
Lt. your over your limit on PMS.Tried callin left ya a message Sorry didnt mean to interupt this thread.

LT has PMS???

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/28/12 06:40 PM

up to 90 a day !

Stalker, I am not insulting you personally...please don't feel I am.

That said, trappers who kill coyotes in hot temps( the south and western states) year round DO NOT give human scent, and yes that's body odor , sweat, etc. a 2nd thought !
You can only keep so @#$% clean is 90-100 degree heat..it's just a FACT!
You can't NOT keep from sweatting when you're putting in a set in the blazing sun...

Wearing rubber gloves and all that crap, is a joke...it isn't needed. and MOST professional coyote trappers who do it year in and year out, YEAR ROUND, DO NOT wrap themselves in rubber.
Human sweat will evaporate in those temps...now just because you want to take all those precautions, well that's you...You obviously believe you have or need to.

To put yourself into that BRAINWASHED mentality, limits you..and when you're limited, well..... smirk

I'm telling you a GOOD professional ADC coyote man, and I'll add myself to that list, can come up there, with a light pair of leather or canvas gloves, light leather work boots and trap circles around anyone going through all that 'scent control'...because they aren't taking time to worry about every little thing...they'll be too busy killing coyotes !
Posted By: Barehunter

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/28/12 07:54 PM

I thought PMS came only once a month!

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/28/12 08:52 PM

PMS OK.... laugh Pm's !

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/28/12 11:03 PM

LT, everyone has their own preferred trapping methods. In hot conditions I have always felt scent precautions helped my success. In colder weather I too, only wear light cloth gloves when contamination is not as much of an issue. My original intent was to give coyote Joe some hints. I had no desire to get into a raging debate. I respect your ADC prowess but I also believe no single trapping methodology applies to all coyotes in all parts of the continent. The human scent factor and how it affects canine trapping may make a great future thread! Cheers.

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/29/12 04:20 AM

and yet, no one but me likes turds and leather gloves! lol

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/29/12 12:04 PM

laugh What dropping teach us down on the Trapping Only forum, will prove otherwise.
I found a coyote dropping the other day I brought home to show a friend of mine...it was almost a foot in length. grin

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/29/12 12:12 PM

laugh
Posted By: andyva

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/29/12 02:41 PM

If I tried to wear rubber anything right now, I would have a heat stroke before I got a coyote trap bedded the way a coyote trap needs to be bedded. I try to go as near naked as possible, that way they won't smell my sweat, they will smell my chiggers and ticks sweat.

I do best with a tinctured gland lure or just urine, on a porous post. Turds are great, spongy wood, anything to keep that sun from beating down on it and protect it from big thunderstorms. Anything that is not liquid soaked into something, (bait, paste, lure,etc.) will be carried off by ants, before sundown.

My favorite is the T-bone set, cow vertebrae with wool shoved into the spinal cord, pointy end stuck in the ground. Use whatever attractant you like on the wool, (urine, diesel, tobacco spit, some work better than others) Use a good backing, and some gentle guiding, or a coyote will walk up to the back side and pull your t-bone up and walk away with it.

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/30/12 04:31 AM

LT and Forrest. I forgive your trespasses against me, however, woe be to you for you will fail to achieve perfection, and if you examine your collective consciences you will realize this is true!
Coyote Joe, best of luck to you! That urine post suggestion is the answer to your problem - eh?!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: summer coyote trapping - 06/30/12 04:55 AM

Coyote Stalker do rely on trapping year around as a 100% source of your income?

Re: summer coyote trapping - 07/01/12 02:03 AM

shocked
© 2024 Trapperman Forums