Home

Mark a critter b4 releasing?

Posted By: traprjohn

Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 02:53 AM

Anyone ever mark a critter b4 releasing it to see if the next "problem" is the same critter returning, even though it's a mile or so further away when relocated??

If so, what'd you use as a marking agent? I'm thinking water/food coloring in a squirt gun to make a stripe.

i.e.-we can release opossum on anothers property with their permission. I prefer to NOT relocate a predator, except when a customer insists and gets permission from their landowner/friend...........

Some people just can't be educated on the fact that you will just cause someone else a problem later.

Thanx
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 03:21 AM

I've personally never marked an animal, but i have had more than one customer spray paint a mark on them before I arived. I guess they wanted to see if the animal I removed returned later? I hope you are releasing animals WAAYYYY more than a mile or so. I read a research report once that some animals (raccoons) returned up to 30 miles.
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 03:27 AM

If I use a body grip trap, the trap marks the animal for me. I havent had one return yet.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike Flick
If I use a body grip trap, the trap marks the animal for me. I havent had one return yet.

Are you attempting to be more sarcastic than ME little man?
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 03:55 AM

You should take them atleast 20 miles . State law is 10 or 15 miles here , you get caught and they pull your permit . Been a couple people take spray paint to them . I wanted to start a tagging program . Poeple thought that was just some stupid idea of mine . Said I would get in trouble and stuff
Posted By: Nathan Krause

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 05:00 AM

I have on numerous occasions trapped a mother raccoon and then released her on location to get her to grab her babies and move to a new location. If this is effective to get her to leave I don't think taking her 20 or 30 miles away will change her mind about wanting to return.

Pretty much any other species I am sure would return again and again and again.

I have let numerous raccoons go at my parents property and they have yet to have a raccoon problem. I think they get released hold up til dark and then head off to find a new home. I don't think they want to return to the capture site or remain on the release site.

But I have never marked any animals nor do I ever plan too.
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 05:26 AM

Didnt mean to offend you. Oh darn, there I go again!

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Trapping By Nate
I have on numerous occasions trapped a mother raccoon and then released her on location to get her to grab her babies and move to a new location. If this is effective to get her to leave I don't think taking her 20 or 30 miles away will change her mind about wanting to return.

Pretty much any other species I am sure would return again and again and again.

I have let numerous raccoons go at my parents property and they have yet to have a raccoon problem. I think they get released hold up til dark and then head off to find a new home. I don't think they want to return to the capture site or remain on the release site.

But I have never marked any animals nor do I ever plan too.
if there in the chimney I release them there sometimes . After I cap the chimney . If there chewing threw the over hangs or roof there going for a ride . Ive never had a problem with animals returning .i do release them in coon paradise . Wood chucks seem to stick like glue . Kinda looking like penguin colony at my one spot .
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 11:38 AM

I had an idiot paint all my squirrels (and cages) flourescent orange one time. I remained professional and put the baseball bat back in the truck.
Posted By: sgs

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 12:43 PM

Several years ago, I marked grey squirrels with florescent orange spray paint on the tail when I suspected they were returning to the capture site. They were.

Five miles seems to be the magic number around here. Any closer and you'll be seeing some of them again.

btw, I no longer relocate squirrels.
Posted By: Nathan Krause

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 02:11 PM

Not sure if you were referring to me Mike but nothing to be offended by. Was just saying that in my opinion I don't think female raccoons pose a re-entry threat if babies are there.

I have always relocated males or females with no young so no knowledge if they would re-enter and don't want to find out they will and now be trap smart on top of it.

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Albert Burns
I had an idiot paint all my squirrels (and cages) flourescent orange one time. I remained professional and put the baseball bat back in the truck.
Most likely got orange paint on traps as well . I would have been [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot]
Posted By: Bigkolo

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 07:38 PM

I wouldn't want a coon I trapped in the fall to have spray paint on it. Sounds ridiculous. Just put it down humanely.
Posted By: jtptrap

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 08:35 PM

My grandfather has caught 40+ coons in his barns this year and he said like 20 of them have notches in their right ear. We are assuming someone is marking them.

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/27/12 10:41 PM

Mostly could be all boar coon that's been fighting to . I know I see a lot of ripped up ears . I would like to do some kinda tagging program and see what happens to these animals after release . I know I never hardly get calls from around my release areas . The last one was like two years ago and that was like 5 miles away . These coons have fur value here in Michigan also there's a meat market for them as well . I just haven't found away into the meat side yet
Posted By: Bigkolo

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/28/12 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
Mostly could be all boar coon that's been fighting to . I know I see a lot of ripped up ears . I would like to do some kinda tagging program and see what happens to these animals after release . I know I never hardly get calls from around my release areas . The last one was like two years ago and that was like 5 miles away . These coons have fur value here in Michigan also there's a meat market for them as well . I just haven't found away into the meat side yet

Google: "Rick Rosatte Ontario MNR" he did a relocating(trap) and release of coons here in southern ontario and transported them 30 kms away. Over the few months he was monitoring them...half died from stress, cars, e.t.c. the others made it.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 06/29/12 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Trapping By Nate

Not sure if you were referring to me Mike but nothing to be offended by. Was just saying that in my opinion I don't think female raccoons pose a re-entry threat if babies are there.

I have always relocated males or females with no young so no knowledge if they would re-enter and don't want to find out they will and now be trap smart on top of it.

No Nate, Mike was directing his comment to me...Phil. You Nate, have nothing to fear.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 03/25/19 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bigkolo
Just put it down humanely.

I agree. I don't relocate.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 03/25/19 02:19 PM

It sounds like you guys could take an opossum a hundred miles away and he'd be back the next day!
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 03/26/19 11:53 PM

Had a customer paint a chuck white. We let him know he would be buying the trap if he painted our trap again. He didnt.
Posted By: Trapper Don

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 03/30/19 11:37 AM

Conn. WCOs had a tagging and radio collar program few years back. Adult coons caught in attic were collared and young were ear tagged. Don't know the numbers but heard most returned to the type of site they were caught or born in.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 03/30/19 01:08 PM

I've always wondered how many animals that are relocated survive. Stress, loss of shelter, territories, roads, predators, etc must really take a toll on them.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 03/30/19 02:34 PM

Some of the tribes have been tagging and relocating beaver here. Some of those have turned up on WCO jobs.
https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?topic=215697.0

As far as a do it yourself tag, a small zip tie in the ear would work. I've never done spray paint but you can get colored hair spray at party supply stores that would work with little ill effect. Some pigeon fanciers use hair spray for marking birds. Lasts quite a while but isn't permanent. A hot pink coon would be something to see randomly cross the road.
https://www.wired.com/2015/03/ricardo-cases-paloma-al-air/

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 03/30/19 03:34 PM

Tag in ear with phone number would be intreasting see where its caught .. not sure thats legal thou
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 04/23/19 06:58 PM

National Band & Tag Company sells cheap metal bands and tags you could permanently mark animals with, to see if they did return. I buy a lot of bird bands from them. They have all sizes of ear tags too.

Keith
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Mark a critter b4 releasing? - 04/23/19 09:08 PM

Livestock marking paints (even paintballs) are available from many sources; a couple are listed below. I experimented with some on squirrels and raccoons about 25 years ago. I released one marked squirrel in the same yard in which it was captured. I did see it a few more times before it disappeared. Squirrels and raccoons released a few miles from where caught were never seen again.

Quik Shot Spray Paint for Livestock Marking- https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...UmYrn4QIVDJ-fCh0EtQDQEAQYAyABEgJnu_D_BwE

Prima Tech® Prima Glo Fluorescent Marking Spray - 13.5 oz.- https://www.qcsupply.com/140140-pri...UmYrn4QIVDJ-fCh0EtQDQEAQYAiABEgJ4_PD_BwE
© 2024 Trapperman Forums